ะฝะตั‚

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - If You Got MLK Day off, read this...
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
If You Got MLK Day off, read this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWorldWeKnow

Frequenter

Post subject: If You Got MLK Day off, read this...
I'm always happy to get MLK Day off - it always seems to fall on the weekend after the first week of the semester for me, which is awesome; but the thing is, I never think about why we get this day off; the other day, I heard someone (on tv, on the radio, in public, I'm not sure where) say that we should stop for a few seconds on Monday and think why we got that day off; so, I just hope you all think about the legacy of Dr. King for at least a minute or two

I did not find a really great article about Martin Luther King, Jr. written today, but this one from the editorial section of today's Washington Times should suffice...

Martin Luther King Jr.'s ideas are as alive — and controversial — today as they were four decades ago, when he expressed them. Those ideas are alive because they are universal. They were not for one people, at one time, in one place; but for all people, anytime, anywhere.
In his Aug. 28, 1963, "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, he expressed three vital concepts that defined the civil rights movement of that time: 1) "There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights"; 2) that his goal is for people "not to be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"; and 3) "In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must for ever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence . . . [nor should it] lead us to distrust of all white people . . . we cannot walk alone."
We often marvel at the wisdom of our Founding Fathers. It is appropriate to pause and marvel at the wisdom of Dr. King. After all, the last 40 years of race relations in America could have turned out very differently — and very much worse — than it has. There were other voices aspiring to leadership of the civil rights movement. There were calls to general violence. There were cries for freedom tied to hatred of white people.
But Dr. King's nonviolence might not have won the day, had it not been invested with his sense of urgency. It is noteworthy that in that famous speech he started off by reminding us that the "Negro . . . had been seared in the flames of whithering injustice." He then asserted that America had "defaulted" on the promissory note of justice. And then he warned: "It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the Negro."
Only then did he talk about nonviolence and individual rights. It wasn't enough that he preached nonviolence. He had to convince that nonviolence would succeed. He did convince. And he did succeed — in ending legal segregation. The fuller blessings of justice, of course, remain a goal not yet fully gained.
It is in seeking the attainment of that goal that we see the continuing importance of Dr. King's teachings. Only last week in the affirmative action debate regarding litigation before the Supreme Court, we read and heard invoked Dr. King's famous goal to be judged on the content of our character, not the color of our skin. In that context, it is worth remembering one of Dr. King's other powerful messages: that we should all feel a sense of urgency in gaining — for all Americans — the fuller blessings of liberty.
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 11:02 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Just out of curiosity, how many people believe that Dr. MLK Jr's words are for or against affirmative action? I personally think the opposite.

Also, I'd just like to point out that I don't have school tomorrow. Or even Wednesday, if I care to indulge in Senior Ditch Day. Cool
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 12:21 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Force-Attuned_Krogoth wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many people believe that Dr. MLK Jr's words are for or against affirmative action? I personally think the opposite.

I'm not understanding your position here. Confused Is it your opinion that Dr. King's words are against Affirmative Action?
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 1:55 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I would guess that he was saying that all men are created equal and should be judged by their character not skin color.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 10:41 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Affirmative Action, as it is currently applied, does not look at socioeconomic status. Instead, it assumes that all (or most) minority students don't even bother trying to apply to college, because they "won't get in" or "couldn't pay for it." The idea behind it, that we should get more minority students to apply, is a good one. (We also should get more whites to apply, as well, but that's beside the point.) What it has turned into, that we should get more minority students to be accepted is not. The last time I looked, our social and political system was based on equality of OPPORTUNITY, not RESULTS. What needs to be done is encourage applicants, not give them priority in acceptance. And race shouldn't be an issue.

Remember, "not the color of their skin, but the content of their character."
"In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds."

I have no beef with giving financial aid to poor(er) students, nor with encouraging them to try. However, they shouldn't be given an easier admittance. "Adjusting" the standards doesn't promote equality, it insinuates that the benefactors couldn't hack it otherwise. And, once again, race has nothing to do with it!
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 11:30 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
Exactly, what I was saying, just ...more explicitly

I'm poor, the state pays for my schooling, I wouldn't be able to attend college otherwise. My family earns 26000$ a yr.. i think thats upper lower class not sure. Sure I'm white, and its nice having a free ride. but even with the aid i can't really do much more than make ends meet. which is how it should be. As for acceptance I don't think they should have "ratios" of how many poeple of minority must be accepted it isn't fair to anyone.

If anything acceptance by affirmative action should be looked at case by case... other than that welfare for lower class (even worse families than mine) is what makes it so the families can get by. and it is very sad for kids in abusive homes who can't get proper education to succeed. I don't know what the answer is there... communism perhaps, but affirmative action is wrong in some respects, it judges by skin color(and a stereotype of character) not character.

which i dunno doesn't sound quite right.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 1:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Affirmative action cause what it tries to overcome. It causes people to notice skin color. Beyond that, if a white guy looses a job just because the other guy was black, then he's gonna be pissed, spew out racist comments, and his children will be that much more racist. Hence, this was the first thing I have agreed whole-heartedly with Dubya on.

Ha! Beat that FAK! My explanation is in an easy to digest little sound bite! Yours is large and bulky! Mine is sleek and sexy! Yatta!

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 4:29 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Ha! Beat that FAK! My explanation is in an easy to digest little sound bite! Yours is large and bulky! Mine is sleek and sexy! Yatta!

You know, there's a reason why I write like that. You see, I'm very prejudiced. I just can't stand idiots. Thus, I do everything within my power to make them go away. Fortunately (for my purposes) they're very proud, and get scared when someone makes them feel inferior (despite the fact that they are). I've found that conversing in a sesquipedalian manner causes disdain and solitude.

Oh, yes, and it doesn't really matter as long as certain types of people CAN understand me. My system appears to work well for me.
PostTue Jan 21, 2003 6:10 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wow, you took that way to seriously. I was only kidding around.

Party pooper.

By the way, I hate idiots too. Favorite King of the Hill Quote:

Hank Hill: "I do NOT have an anger management problem, I have an IDIOT problem! Why can't anyone understand that!!!"

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jan 22, 2003 4:02 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Force-Attuned_Krogoth wrote:
You know, there's a reason why I write like that. You see, I'm very prejudiced. I just can't stand idiots. Thus, I do everything within my power to make them go away. Fortunately (for my purposes) they're very proud, and get scared when someone makes them feel inferior (despite the fact that they are). I've found that conversing in a sesquipedalian manner causes disdain and solitude.

Exorbitant and corpulent.

counterparadox wrote:
I hate idiots too. Favorite King of the Hill Quote:

Hank Hill: "I do NOT have an anger management problem, I have an IDIOT problem! Why can't anyone understand that!!!"

Lustrous and titillating.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostWed Jan 22, 2003 11:01 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
but isn't the point to convey the meaning of MLK day to the masses who don't appreciate it, and remember what the man stood for?
PostThu Jan 23, 2003 12:59 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
the point got lost a long time ago, it's only purpose now is to give people days off from worka nd school (mostly school)

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu Jan 23, 2003 10:42 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: