нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Green-Bird wrote:
Here's one:

Cowboy Bebop:

Please include that.

basically, i'm going to consider anything posted in this thread as eligible for use unless the author specifically tells me not to...

anyway, here's the list of reviews i'm currently using:

A Simple NotePad Text File wrote:

.hack//SIGN (JJc)
Ah! My Goddess (AG) / Ah! My Goddess (Z) / Oh My Goddess! (FAK) / Oh My Goddess! (JB)
Animatrix: Beyond (JB)
The Big O (JJc)
Blue Submarine #6 (AS)
Chobits (G-B)
Cowboy Bebop (T) / Cowboy Bebop (TWWK) / Cowboy Bebop (JB) / Cowboy Bebop (JJc) /
Cowboy Bebop (G-B)
Dragonball Z: Cell Saga (JJc)
Dual! Parallel Adventures (JJc)
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World (Nobu)
Escaflowne (G-B) / Vision Of Escaflowne (AS)
Excel Saga (Z)
Fantasia (AS)
Fatal Fury: The Movie (AS)
FLCL (G-B)
Full Metal Panic (AG)
Fushigi Yuugi (T)
Giant Robo (Z)
Gokudo (Nobu)
Golden Boy (AS)
Gravitation (AG)
GTO (AG) / Great Teacher Onizuka (Nobu)
Gunbuster (Z)
Gundam (AG) / Gundam 0080 (JJc) / Gundam: 08th MS Team (Z) / Gundam: 08th MS Team (FAK) /
Gundam: 08th MS Team (JB) / Gundam: 08th MS Team (JJc) / Gundam SEED (AG) /
Gundam Wing (Z) / Gundam X (AG) / Any Gundam Series (G-B)
His and Her Circumstances (Nobu)
Initial D (AG)
Inuyasha (T) / Inuyasha (JJc)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Nobu)
Love Hina (TWWK) / Love Hina (AG) / Love Hina (Z)
Lupin III (Z) / Lupin III (Nobu)
SDF Macross (AG) / Macross Plus (JJc)
Magic Knight Rayearth (T)
Maison Ikkoku (TWWK)
Martian Successor Nadesico (JJc) / Martian Successor Nadesico (Nobu)
Memories (AS)
Naruto (T)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (TWWK)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (TWWK) / Neon Genesis Evangelion (FAK) /
Neon Genesis Evangelion (JB) / Neon Genesis Evangelion (JJc)
One Piece (T)
Outlaw Star (JB) / Outlaw Star (JJc)
Princess Mononoke (T) / Princess Mononoke (TWWK) / Princess Mononoke (JB)
RahXephon (G-B)
Ranma 1/2 (T)
Read or Die (Z) / Read or Die (FAK) / Read or Die (JB) / Read or Die (Nobu)
Record Of Lodoss War (AS)
Rurouni Kenshin (T) / Rurouni Kenshin (TWWK) / Rurouni Kenshin (JJc) / Samurai X (TWWK)
/ Samurai X: Trust/Betrayal (JJc)
Serial Experiments Lain (TWWK)
She, The Ultimate Weapon (FAK)
The Slayers (AS)
Sorcerer Hunters (Nobu)
Spirited Away (TWWK) / Spirited Away (JB)
Street Fighter II: The Movie (AS)
Tenchi Muyo! (TWWK) / Tenchi Muyo! et. al. (Nobu)
Trigun (TWWK) / Trigun (JJc)
Vampire Hunter D (AS) / Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (JB)

it looks like it should break down rather evenly into four sections; A-F, G-L, M-R, S-Z...what i really need help with, since this is going to be designed for people both new to the genre and those who've been around a while, is trying to sort out nicknames/other names that certain series are referred to as, like people looking up "Evangelion" and finding a note to look up "Neon Genesis Evangelion", and series' that may go together ("Samurai X" and "Rurouni Kenshin" come to mind)...since about 1/3 of the shows mentioned i have yet to see, feel free to chime in on stuff like this that i may have overlooked...

i've got the first section completed for the most part, though getting the fonts and stuff to look right will take a bit of time on the board, so expect it up sometime tonight/early tomorrow for critique...and don't feel like adding more comments/reviews may add more to my workload, as the most time-consuming part is the structure, and additional comments are rather easy to include...
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 3:50 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
[edit (1/29): intro to part 1 now included]

i lied...the copy/paste function is up there with hot pockets as mankind's greatest inventions...

---
Welcome to the first installment of the first-ever "The Infolink Recommends", a four-part collection of commentary revolving around the best in animation as written by members of the Toonami Infolink community. This guide should be helpful in finding that next "big" show we all strive to watch, or perhaps confirm the existence of a show casually mentioned by a friend in the past that may have registered interest. We've done our best in suiting this list for the newbie to the world of animation as well as those who believe they've seen everything the genre has to offer.

Part 1 starts things off with a bang, containing the flagship shows for both Toonami and Adult Swim (Dragonball and Cowboy Bebop, respectively), along with underrated gems such as El-Hazard and Ah! My Goddess...

*/#

.hack

- .hack//SIGN - Another series with great characters, but suffers from what even I'd consider some slow sequences. (JJc14)

A

Ah! My Goddess/Oh My Goddess!

- Ah My Goddess - AMG/OMG is like Love Hina- a nearly impossible dream actually happens. The OVA draws you in and you can't get out. Maybe it's the "classic" feeling, maybe it's the cute love story, or maybe it's that great 80's Japan feeling. Meh. The characters are each unique and each has a different agenda- getting Belldandy nailed, getting rid of Keiichi, etc. This one is a feel good series not worth missing. (AdmiralGreer)

- Ah My Godess - The OVA it's great, the movie it's great. I like both that's why it's here. (Zechs)

- Oh! My Goddess - The OVA is good; fun and engaging. The movie is one of the best I've ever seen. In my (not-as-art-minded-as-spook's) mind, it's comparable to Miyazaki's works. (Force-Attuned_Krogoth)

- Oh! My Goddess. Same reasons as FAK. I'm a real sap for love stories, especially when they're engaging--and woah! Holy Crap! As I'm writing this, I jsut heard a few notes from one of the OMG music pieces in an OC Remix for Ninja Gaiden (Sudden Loss). Freaky. Anyway, another pair of really great tales. i want one of those English side cars. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

Animatrix/The Animatrix

- The Animatrix: beyond. There's a good reason why a five minute short took two years to make. The director is an eccentric visionary that looks into every facet and detail of his work. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

B

Bebop
- see: "Cowboy Bebop"

Big O/The Big O

- The Big O (Season 1) - With Big O, not only did I first appreciate a "giant robot" show, the great voice of David Lucas caused me to take a closer look at the people behind the characters. The setting of a world devoid of memories over forty years ago was fascinating, as each episode slowly served to flesh out this place called Paradigm. One couldn't help but imagine just what happened to cause the city's current state, and as the episodes went on, it felt that the solution was forthcoming. Episode 13 redefined what I thought a cliffhanger was, though obviously I wasn't the only one intrigued as the second season was recently released. (JJc14)

Blue Sub. 6/Blue Submarine #6

- Blue Suberine #6 - Some fo the better animation I've seen outside of Disney and Dreamworks. (btw Dreamworks Sinbad looks fucking hardcore badass) Intriging storyline with original character designs make it one of my favorites. (AndroSpook)

C

Chobits

- Chobits-A great anime from CLAMP, that is about a man who finds a robot called a Perscom in the trash. Exallently done. (Green-Bird)

Cowboy Bebop

- Cowboy Bebop- Do I even need to explain this? The dynamic characters...the moving dialogue...the moments of humour balanced by the fights and the seriousness of the entire series...this is, so far as I've seen, the best TV/movie noir ever. Add in the ending, and the greatest one-liner ever--"Bang"-- and the series' perfectness is complete; it made me cry for a little while afterwards. And, of course, the best music EVER by the goddess who is Yoko Kanno. The only reason it's not no. 1 on my list is because it's so short. (Tempest)

- Cowboy Bebop - What can I say that y'all don't already know? It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It has one of the great character storylines I've ever seen...not to mention 3 other pretty good ones for the rest of it's characters. It's clever in just about every way possible. The fight scenes rock. The music rocks. The animation rocks. And it just has style...the best style I've ever seen in anime. (TheWorldWeKnow)

- Cowboy Bebop. Unlike most people, I found the ending to be rather flat. But that's just the last 15 minutes of the series (well, that, and Vicious was on of anime's most static characters). The rest of the series, however, gold, for its originality and humor. If I were jsut rating the movie, this would be higher on the list, as all the stops were pulled out to create one of the best movie experiences you will ever have. All the characters shined in thier full glory, including the villain, and a few cameo appearances by minor characters. Flawless execution of a brilliant plan. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

- Cowboy Bebop - Cowboy Bebop mixes a great core cast of characters and amazing combat scenes (hand to hand, firearm, and space), somehow managing to squeeze it into a very realistic take on the future environment. The episodic adventures in the beginning set the pace for the heavier focus on backstory later, the culmination of which being greater than anything else I've seen, animated or not. (JJc14)

- Cowboy Bebop: A series filled with emotion, music, action, sadness, love, hate and comedy. It takes place in the near future, making it almost realisltic. The heart of the story lies in the main character, Spike, ex-con turned bounty hunter and side, his ex-detective partner, Jet, Beatuful and old Faye, and the crazy child hacker, Ed. . It's also about a man's soul, life after death, and living for nothing. The eventful event seems inevitable. You're gonna carry that weight. (Green-Bird)

D

Dragonball

- Dragonball Z: Cell Saga - From the beginning with Trunks' arrival, I knew this wasn't the same DBZ of the Saiyan and Namek sagas. The concept of a dark future without Goku added a tense feeling to the usual fighting. With the arrival of the androids, it was amazing to see the shift in power, and Cell's arrival felt like the end was near. The utilization of the more neglected warriors in the story gave it a much more "complete" feel, and the 'Super Saiyan' concept still felt fresh. With the way things ended, one could feel a state of closure, though that obviously didn't last long. (JJc14)

Dual!/Dual! Parallel Adventures

- Dual! Parallel Adventures - A short but fun series that mixes mecha with Tenchi to surprisingly good results despite the odd setting. (JJc14)
- see also: "Tenchi"

E

El-Hazard/El Hazard

- El-Hazard: The Magnificent World- One of the best sci-fantasy stories created, IMHO. Drawing on elements from "Arabian Nights", "The Prince and the Pauper", and esp. Edgar Rice Burroughs "Mars"-series novels, EH manages to tell its overall story to complete conclusion while still leaving itself open to endless adventuring inside its fantastic world setting. Too bad later writers weren't up to the challenge.
Note: stay away from this if you have any qualms about naked women or aggressive lesbianism.
---> [I've said it before: Irresponsible Captain Tylor and El-Hazard (the original) are the most perfect endings I've seen...] (Nobuyuki)

Escaflowne/Vision of Escaflowne

- Escaflowne-A great series that is about as good as Evangelion or the first Gundam but had some minor plot holes. Yoko Kanno does some great music[.] (Green-Bird)

- Vision of Escaflowne - The anime series that got me into anime. Memories got me accepting it and Escaflowne cinched it for me. The only reason why this isn't top rated is that while the giant freak eyes still bugged me (which I was on teh process of not getting over but accepting it, I still hate them) but the noses made me want to punch the artist in the face. The idea of Fantasy and Mech combined into one really drew me in, especially since the mechs (fuck mecha by the way) actually fougt with swords and swordylike weaponry. (AndroSpook)

Eva/Evangelion
-see: "Neon Genesis Evangelion"

Excel Saga

- Excel Saga- OMG you have to see this show. There is no Drop dead funnier anime sereis ever made. The show has a loose plot, but who needs it when the show is meant to be the ultimate parody. Every episode is back to back laughs as each episde makes fun of a different genre of anime and film. From the wild west, to space, to harems, political dramas, you name it. EAT MORE MENCHI!@ (Zechs)

F

Fantasia

- Fantasia/2000 - The greatest artistic animations on all time. The different styles and flow between the pieces work in such a way that animation is raised beyond the dredges that society generally put the genre in. From a technical standpoint 2000 has no equal in america, japan, or the rest of the world. Roy Disney should run the whole damned company. (AndroSpook)

Fatal Fury

- Fatal Fury: The Movie - I first saw it on Sci Fi Anime and was just sucked in. I don't know why. Actually I think I do. It's the closest thing I've seen to Street Fighter II: The Movie since well SFII: The Movie. The animation was fairly good, the Voice Acting not to shabby, and it had more than the typical fighter storyline of "then-they-fought". There was generally a purpose behind it, not always good or very viable but it was generally there and it looked pretty. (AndroSpook)

FLCL/Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly

- FLCL- Great. One of Gainax's best designs appear in this series. Very Humorus. (Green-Bird)

Full Metal Panic

- Full Metal Panic - Well animated, great soundtrack (you'd think they'd send in Mr. T! ), hillarious characters, and more realistic mecha design (not to the extent of Gasaraki though) equals a series that sets it apart from other mecha series. It's set in the present day, but one where the cold war continues. A giant robots (arm-slaves) are common military equipment. The real draw of the series though, is the characters. They can go from a hugely serious scene/epsiode into pure comedy. I can't reall explain it. It's just great. And original for a mecha series. Avoid the dub though. The butchering of Japanese words is too awful to bare. (AdmiralGreer)

Fushigi Yuugi

- Fushigi Yuugi- An all-around excellent series which I have not been able to complete yet. So wonderfully angsty! The characters were well-drawn, and the plot was, so far as I'd seen, original. It most definitely is not your typical shoujo anime, though that's what I expected at first. This series made me almost cry, in a good way...and the guys aren't half bad looking. (Tempest)
---

of course, i gotta write some sort of introductory paragraph so readers have some idea as to what they're looking at [see edit] , and i was too lazy to set up everyone's profile link (and i guess i should type out androspook's name correctly in the final version), but this is basically what i'm aiming for...

i've already noticed that spacing is causing me some problems, as the "see:/see also:" lines are supposed to be indented, so i guess i'll have to dig up some of those beginner html pages to figure out how that's accomplished...

but, yea...thoughts? suggestions? corrections? [additional adjective]s?

Last edited by JJc14 on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 4:31 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Pretty good so far, although it might do well to separate the after-the-first-opinion comments a little better, like indenting them.
PostTue Jan 20, 2004 3:36 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wow, that's a pretty list. I like the parts where I say intelligable things.
PostTue Jan 20, 2004 6:47 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Force-Attuned_Krogoth wrote:
Pretty good so far, although it might do well to separate the after-the-first-opinion comments a little better, like indenting them.

that sounds like a good idea, though i still can't quite figure out the html to do that...closest i've been able to come up with is the single space (<&nbsp>), so i guess if all else fails, i can just throw in four or five of those before each one to act as a "fake" indent of sorts...

as it stands now, i'm hoping to have the next part completed by the end of the month...i figure i should be able to pace 'em every two weeks, and after the four parts are done and march hits, i'll include any extra stuff and submit the finished product to the reviews section...
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 9:07 pm
The_Punisher

Post subject:
These are my favorite shows from best to least best:

1.Trigun
2.Gundam Wing
3.Outlaw Star
4.08th MS Team
5.Rouroni Kenshin
6.Yu Yu Hakusho
7.Big O

I can't think of any more right now, but i'll fiish the list later
PostThu Jan 22, 2004 6:06 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
part 2, this time with introduction (see part 1 for added intro there):

---
Welcome to the second installment of the first-ever "The Infolink Recommends", a four-part collection of commentary revolving around the best in animation as written by members of the Toonami Infolink community. This guide should be helpful in finding that next "big" show we all strive to watch, or perhaps confirm the existence of a show casually mentioned by a friend or acquaintance in the past that may have gotten your interest. We've done our best in suiting this list for the newbie to the world of animation as well as those who believe they've seen everything the genre has to offer.

Part 2 houses one of the biggest animation franchises in existence, as the saga that is Gundam clocks in at the most talked-about series in the database. At the very least, be sure to look into GTO, Love Hina, and Lupin the 3rd if you haven't already...

G

Giant Robo

- Giant Robo - This is another Magna release that was a remake of an old series. Much like Kikaider and Cyborg 009, but this one is KICK ASS. This story had me gripped from beggining to end and the fights have to be some of the best animated and most extrordinary I've ever seen. Whether is was person to person or machine to machine the fights are just great. The animation is on the top of the scale and the music is always rivting. There's no reason that you should[n't] take a look at this one. (Zechs)

Gokudo

- Gokudo- It's quite juvenile, but if Jay Ward had been Japanese, this would have been "Fractured Fairy Tales". From "The Prince and the Pauper" thru "Journey to the West" and the "Bodhisattva", a bunch of (primarily) eastern folk tales get turned on their ear just for laughs. (Nobuyuki)

Golden Boy

- Golden Boy 1, 2, 4, 5 - It's for the perverted comedy and nothing else. It has decent animation genreally but the style tends to switch to match/oppose a mood so often it can't be considered consistant int he least. I leave out 3 and 6 from the list on account that they do not follow the standards set by the other GB's and just aren't nearly as entertaining. (AndroSpook)

Gravitation

- Gravitation - It may be about two gay guys, but there's so much more. It's about a band. It's about Shuichi and Yuki. It's about friends and relationships. And it's funny. BMS all over the place. Watch it. This is the last one I'm typing, and I want to stop. So I'll leave it at that. (AdmiralGreer)

GTO/Great Teacher Onizuka

- GTO - Quite possibly the funniest anime ever. Even more so then Love Hina. There's no way to say otherwise. You have a 22 year old horny ex-biker virgin being a teacher- how can that not be great? Onizuka is the ultimate hero throughout it- helping the nerdy/low self confidence students, hitting on the class "punk"'s mother, messing around with the other teachers... There's no end to the chaos, yet there's a reason for all of it. The series is great, but the manga is better, and the live action version is as good as the anime. (AdmiralGreer)

- Great Teacher Onizuka-An anti-hero like Lupin, Onizuka may be crude, loud and obnoxious, but his heart is in the right place. He wants nothing more than to become the best teacher ever, winning over his class of bullying delinquents one-by-one with nothing more than his unique sense of integrity and idealism about how student-teacher relationships should be. He's the kind of teacher my high-school friends and I imagined WE would want to be if we ever grew up. (Nobuyuki)

Gunbuster

- Gunbuster- I'm betting no one has heard of this. Well that's a problem. This has been hailed as the greatest robot show ever and I agree. THe story will make you feel the passion of the characters and cry by the end. It's only on VHS because there's a rumor that MANGA lost the masters to it and havn't released a dvd yet. You can however get a bootleg dvd but I've heard the subtitles are all engrish. (Zechs)

Gundam

- Gundam (UC series/movies) - I love the military, and Gundam is not only great for mecha fans, but military fans as well. There aren't any aliens, super robots(unless you count the Gundam-type suits), or even a defined good and bad side. With Gundam, you get humans fighting each other- and starting off with a bang by blasting half the human race. The series is fun to watch, but does indeed show the horrors caused by war- and not even children are safe from them. It features the best hero/villian ever, in the form of Char Aznable. The mecha design is second only to Macross, and indeed, the chief difference between Gundam and Macross (besides aliens) is the focus of Macross on the characters, while Gundam is a little bit more heavy on the overall war(s). In fact, the only reason I don't rank Gundam at #3 is the VF-1 from SDF Macross- it beats out an RX-79(G) for best mass produced mecha unit in my book. (AdmiralGreer)

- Gundam 0080 - A short OVA with great characters and what I found to be a very unexpected ending. (JJc14)

- Gundam: The 08th MS Team - One of the few series I own the entire collection of. I'm sick of typing so let's just say..OMGWTF TIS SEREIS iS G00D!!!!!! (Zechs)

- MS Gundam: 08th MS Team - Hands down, my favorite series. Astounding animation quality, complex story, multi-layered characters, and it is the quintessential example of the motto of the Gundam Universe: "In war, there are no winners." (Force-Attuned_Krogoth)

- Gundam 08th MS Team. Same reasons as FAK, basically. Some of the realest characters I've ever encountered. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Taking place during the One Year War, the 08th MS Team OVA takes the outer space, aerial battles down to Earth (literally). Shiro Amada and his crew take on ground missions in a brewing battle for land between the Federation and Zeon. A chance encounter between Shiro and Aina, a high-ranking Zeon officer, sets the stage for the second half of the series, which is full of suspenseful twists and turns. (JJc14)

- Gundam SEED - It's not over in Japan and the fast fansubs are awful, but it's still one of the better AU series created. If it continues the way it is now, it could beat out Gundam X as my favorite AU Gundam after it's completion. SEED is kind of a cross of the original MSG and Wing. Like Wing with all the well designed Gundams(the only part of that series I liked) and like MSG in the initial story and the primary battleship. It brings back the gritty feeling of war that many AU series have passed over and brought in great mecha. The characters aren't bad either, and you wonder what some of them plan to do later in the series. And you can't forget the OP/EDs. The second ED sucks, but the first one and the first three OPs have been great. Especially the thrid OP, sung by Nami Tamaki- only 14 years old when she recorded it She's awesome. So is her song. (AdmiralGreer)

- Gundam Wing- Yes, everyone knew I was going to say it, but it's not like I put it that high on the list. With GW you either love it or hate it. Much of this is due to a group of people who choose to bash the series and everyone else jumped on the bandwagon without even arguing. The show does have a plot..a very deep one that many people would rather just ignore than try to figure out. War can not be brought to an end by dictators or by destroying all the weapons. The only way to end wars is to erase the feeing in people hearts and to remind them of the horror of war and that is the only way they will remember. The angst does get overblown here and there and and yes the mechs do seem way too powerful. This was the anime that blew me away and helped to finnaly show me that these shows are on a completely different level. (Zechs)

- Gundam X - Unlike Wing (kiddie show) and G (weirdness), X feels... Better. When all but less then 200 million humans have been killed, you know something's up. X has a great main character who tries to stay positive and not turn into a whiney b|tch like many UC main guys turn into. The story is good, even though some things could have been expanded more - 39 eps doesn't do this series justice (I blame Evangelion and Wing). It does de-humanize the enemy by never flashing to enemy pilots in their cockpits, but that flaw can be overlooked by an otherwise good execution. (AdmiralGreer)

- Any Gundam Series- The long running mecha series has alot of good Series and some not so good. (Green-Bird)

H

His And Her Circumstances

- His and Her Circumstances- A well-written (for the most part) high-school romance that calls to mind the early John Hughes films, mainly "Sixteen Candles", but also "Pretty in Pink". The biggest drawbacks are too many recap episodes and a rushed non-ending brought on by budget shortfalls and early series cancellation. Still worth watching, even episode 19, the infamous "paper-doll" episode. Once again proving that if the writing and performances are great, it doesn't matter what medium the story's told in. You can see a little seed of the future FLCL's wackiness begin to sprout. The Evangelion riffs are cute, too. (Nobuyuki)

I

Initial D

- Initial D - It's Initial D. Even though I have very little interest in driving, I was hooked on the series after the first episode. The characters are great - you either like them, or love to hate 'em. There aren't any true "villians" although a few come close. The animation and CG races are simple, but convey the excellent story well (and this improves in the second season, OVA, movie, and takes a bigger leap in the TV special). Too bad Tokopop is screwing the whole thing over. This series(including OVA, movie, etc) has everything - characters, action(races), and one of the best god dang soundtracks ever. (AdmiralGreer)

Inuyasha

- Inuyasha- Another Takahashi Rumiko work. I started watching the English dub, then I got the official subbed episodes from the video store, and lately I've been keeping up with the official manga at Sengoku-o-Togi Zoushi. It's not really all that original, but I stil like it. I like the romantic couples it has also, and the music's not terrible either. (Tempest)

- Inuyasha - Well-developed characters and a little bit of everything has maintained my interest in what I've seen of the first half of this series. (JJc14)

Irresponsible Captain Tylor/The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor- My #2 all-time favorite, part-M*A*S*H, part-Star Trek, a little Animal House, lots of funny and exploring the themes of questioning authority and social nonconformity, while still maintaining a sense of moral decency. (Nobuyuki)

- see also: "El-Hazard"

J

[No Entries]

K

Kenshin
- see: Rurouni Kenshin
- see also: Samurai X

L

Lain
- see: "Serial Experiments Lain"

Lodoss War
- see: "Record Of Lodoss War"

Love Hina

- Love Hina - I'm a sucker for cute, love stories. But this show is more than that. The characters, which could easily become typical, typecast characters, are memorable - ESPECIALLY the supporting people (Shinobu, Mutsumi, Kaolla, others). The slapstick humor, which I'm not terribly fond of in series like this, was not distracting - as a matter of fact, it was awesome! And come on...ya gotta love the weird obsession with turtles in the show (Hot Springs Tama, Mecha Tama, Ancient Turtle civilizations, etc.). Not to mention, some of my favorite single episodes in anime come from this series...including THE best Christmas special I've seen. (TheWorldWeKnow)

- Love Hina - Like TWWK I'm a sucker for those cute love stories. >_< Love Hina represents the dream of many young(and old ) men. Being surrounded by a bunch of young girls, all of them the right age. And of course they can all kick your a$$. This series goes everywhere, but there's almost always a laughable situation or gag. There are few better ways to relax then watching a Love Hina episode, including the Christmas and Spring specials. Forget the OVA though. It's okay, but kinda creepy. And Keitaro's new glasses don't fit him at all. (AdmiralGreer)

- Love Hina- Greer sent me a couple eps a while a back and since then it's been one of my favorite series. One of the first anime to every actually make me fall on the floor laughing with Keitaro being the reason. The boy has the best and worst luck of just about any anime character and even though he's a litle more perverted than Tenchi he's still awesome. (Zechs)

Lupin/Lupin The 3rd/Lupin III/Rupan/Rupan III

- Lupin III: Caslte of Cagliostro - Ya I know everyone likes this. Well I'm no exception. Lupin is at his best in this movie and it tops pretty much everything I've seen to date without giant robots, demons, or complicated love triangles. He's just a normal dude who can do just about anything. It's bond, but better. No question. (Zechs)

- Lupin III- Personality-wise Lupin is basically the Japanese equivalent to Bugs Bunny. The classic series may be dated and the newer stories less entertaining, but even mediocre Lupin is better than at least 60% of the stuff on US prime-time TV. God help me, I do love it so. (Nobuyuki)
---

same problems as last time (spacing, indents, lack of links, etc.), but yea...anything amiss thus far?
PostThu Jan 29, 2004 11:20 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
One thing you could add, if you want- include the Japanese nickname for His & Her: Kare Kano. That might help somebody look up more information on the series using a search engine. Smile
PostThu Jan 29, 2004 11:29 pm
Ixidor

Veteran

Post subject:
These reveiws are pretty good...
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 5:49 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
One thing you could add, if you want- include the Japanese nickname for His & Her: Kare Kano. That might help somebody look up more information on the series using a search engine. :)

excellent, this is exactly what i need the most help with (and why i'm publicly posting these before finalizing them)...if anyone knows of any other aliases that i may have overlooked between now and when i'm done, please don't hesitate to let me know...
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 10:44 am
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
JJc, i've got my Anime Encyclopedia which lists alternate titles, episode count, and a bunch of other noteworthy information...of course it's only accurate up to mid 2000 so don't count on it for anything too recent.
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 10:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
somehow i compeletly looked over this, so i apologize for responding to it so late fdd...

FinalDivineDragoon wrote:
JJc, i've got my Anime Encyclopedia which lists alternate titles, episode count, and a bunch of other noteworthy information...of course it's only accurate up to mid 2000 so don't count on it for anything too recent.

i'm trying to avoid the more technical details such as episode counts and stuff (as that'd make for more work than i originally intended this to be), but like i've said before, if a series on the list is known by another name and i don't have it mentioned, please let me know...

i'm hoping to have part three up later tonight for critique [m-r], and while i'm here, i might as well bring up the submissions timetable once again:

<professional>
If anyone wishes to contribute to "The Infolink Recommends", feel free to leave a few comments about your favorite series, or one that might've been overlooked, either in this thread or through my email (JJc14@juno.com) before the end of the month. Since I should be on pace to have the database completed and online on or around March 6, the absolute latest I will accept submissions is March 3. While it may sound like three days is a bit much, I cannot guarantee any late submissions to make the database once the deadline is passed.
</professional>

so, yea...thanks to everyone that's helped out thus far for making this whole thing possible and insert other sentimental crap here to end this sentence...

look out for part 3 tonight...
PostSat Feb 14, 2004 4:24 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
===
Welcome to the third installment of "The Infolink Recommends", a four-part collection of commentary revolving around the best in animation as written by members of the Toonami Infolink community. This guide should be helpful in finding that next "big" show we all strive to watch, or perhaps confirm the existence of a show casually mentioned by a friend (or foe?) in the past that may have you interested. We've done our best in suiting this list for the newbie to the world of animation as well as those who believe they've seen everything the genre has to offer.

Where to start with this section? Most every corner of the genre is represented here, from a veteran franchise (Macross), to a more recent "classic" (Neon Genesis Evangelion); from movies (Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa), standard one-season shows (Martian Successor Nadesico, Outlaw Star), to those that just kept going (Ranma 1/2), one's basically guaranteed to find something of interest here...*

* Guarantee is not a guarantee

---
M

Macross

- SDF Macross (w/Zero, Flashback, Plus, and 7) - Some would say that lumping Macross together is a bad idea, but I disagree. Like Gundam, I can't split them up. The original has a feeling of a space opera, but each series or OVA re-invents itself, which was the plan in the first place. Flashback is a music video, Plus is either Top Gun or an animated soap opera depending who you ask, 7 is a lighter side of Macross (sort of like ZZ Gundam is to Zeta, but not quite that extreme), and Zero has yet to become completely clear. Besides the story, Macross has some dang awesome mecha. The VF-1 is hands down the greatest mecha unit ever created- the F-14 will live forever! The next generation VFs are also well designed. Macross may be the second most popular mecha anime, but it's easily the best. (AdmiralGreer)

- Macross Plus - The first thing I noticed was the animation, which was, and still is, simply stunning. The air-combat scenes were beautiful, and the plot proved to me that a more mature story could be told in animated form. Isamu Dyson was a favorite character of mine, which no doubt led to my liking of Gene Starwind when Outlaw Star arrived a few months later. Though I had no exposure to Robotech or anything with the Macross title prior, it made no difference. (JJc14)

Magic Knight Rayearth

- Magic Knight Rayearth- Meh, not all that great. It was kind of a rip of Gundam and Sailor Moon. More or less your typical magical girl anime. The ending episodes were better than the beginning though. (Tempest)

Maison Ikkoku

- Maison Ikkoku - If you like Love Hina...this was the original Love Hina. The 90+ episodes allow the characters to develop - Godai goes from being a perverted loser (and frankly, a character I couldn't STAND for at least the first 10 episodes), so the guy you're rooting for above everyone else. And Kyoko gets a fleshed out personality in the second half of the series, making her more real, and infinitely more likeable. And the angst...ugh, the angst is monster in this series - it kills you. Finally, the tenants and supporting characters are hillarious - they make so much trouble, it's both annoying and wonderful. (TheWorldWeKnow)

Martian Successor Nadesico/Nadesico

- Martian Successor Nadesico - With a character count putting DBZ to shame, Nadesico remains hilarious throughout, pausing when necessary to address the more serious undertones, but remaining a great ride from start to finish. (JJc14)

- Martian Successor Nadesico- Humor, melodrama, love, war, honor, duty, BIG STOMPY ROBOTS, and an anime convention.
This show has it all. (Nobuyuki)

Memories

- Memories - The anime that convinced me that anime was worth while. Its actually a collection of three vignettes, each utterly different from the other. It has only recently been optioned by a US distributer for eventual release so those of you who have not seen it will ge the chance to. I remember the three storylines only barely anymore and not enoguh to do them justice so its better if I don't try. (AndroSpook)

Mononoke/Mononoke-hime
-see: "Princess Mononoke"

N

Nadesico
- see: "Martian Successor Nadesico"

Naruto

- Naruto- It's surprising I like this one so much. It is very original, the series taking place in a setting and with a style that can only be called Kishimoto's own; I've never seen anything like it. It's a good mix between modern and traditional settings, and the characters also are a mix between modern and traditional. Naruto is not the typical ninja series, which is one reason I like it so much. (Tempest)

Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind/Nausicaa

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - When is Disney gonna finally release this?! My favorite Miyazaki film, Nausicaa is the most touching anime that I've ever seen. It's such a powerful film, as is reflected through it's message and through the actions of it's heroine. And, it's just beautiful - a beautiful ending to go along with a beautiful story. (TheWorldWeKnow)

Neon Genesis Evangelion/Eva/Evangelion

- Neon Genesis Evangelion - At the same time, Evangelion is both fulfilling and immensely dissapointing (I hated the ending as much as everybody else...but for different reasons). But overall, it's a fantastic series - a ton of characters we love (and others we can't stand...some characters function in both these ways, one way for one person and the other for another person), great fight scenes, and a captivating story. And, like Lain, it isn't drowned out by the story - what I mean, is, is that it's entertaining. Sometimes, you can read a book or watch a movie that you think is just an incredible piece of art...but you didn't really enjoy it. Evangelion is able to avoid that - it's great AND fun. (TheWorldWeKnow)

- Neon Genesis Evangelion - Very creepy and thought-provoking. Wonderful for sparking discussions about humanity. (Force-Attuned_Krogoth)

- Neon Genesis Evangelion. I'm sure youve heard enough about it on this page. It was the first real anime I'd ever seen, and it completely changed my life for what I believe to be the better. I was a lot more like Shinji than I'd like to admit. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

- Neon Genesis Evangelion - An entertaining twenty-odd episodes followed by a serious turn and highly unusual ending, this series initially entertained me but hasn't held up well over time. (JJc14)

O

Oh My Goddess!
- see: "Ah! My Goddess"

One Piece

- One Piece- Don't like this one as much. I know it's really popular in Japan, though it hasn't gained a large fanbase in America. Now this one is the pointless one there is, but I like how Luffy can be serious and strong when he needs to be. (Tempest)

Outlaw Star

- Outlaw Star. Call me crazy, but I just love this classic, if not overplayed story. The tale is brought in full glory, with very few, if any holes. We all see a little bit of each of the characters in ourselves, which makes me like it that much more. The music is only topped in my mind by Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heavan's Door. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

- Outlaw Star - How can one go wrong with cool characters, an awesome spaceship, and kick-ass adventures? The concept of the Galactic Leyline had me sucked in from the start, and the first four episodes were an unparalleled rush. While the story strayed from time to time, the character development was superb and the build-up to the conclusion could not have been executed any better. The ending is definite, and while there's still room for more, it can stand alone just fine. (JJc14)

P

Photon
-see: "Tenchi"

Princess Mononoke/Mononoke-hime

- Mononoke-hime/Princess Mononoke- Though I hated Miyazaki's other work Spirited Away, Mononoke-hime was an excellent film. This one did not put me to sleep, and the art style is wonderful. The only reason it's not higher is because I would have liked more dialogue and romance. All in all, however, the movie was very good. (Tempest)

- Princess Mononoke - This was the first anime DVD I bought...and I watched it over a dozen times. The animation is beautiful, of course, but it's the story that makes this movie great. The characters are all flawed, and still likeable. And the message of the story is awesome. (TheWorldWeKnow)

- Princess Mononoke. A very good starting anime--tells a rather good story with exceptional vision and artwork. This was the first Anime my mother ever saw (or did she see Akira first), and she loved it. This from a 45 year old woman who grew up in an ultra-conservative Idaho Mormon family. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

Q

[No Entries]

R

RahXephon

- RahXephon- Bones has great work in this well done Mecha series about gods and love between time. (Green-Bird)

Ranma

- Ranma 1/2- Again, I'm surprised I like this series as much as I do. The series is strictly humour, but it is, surprisingly, of a humour that I can actually stomach. If Naruto is juvenile and pointless, then Ranma 1/2 most definitely is, but hey!--we all need a good dose of juvenility and pointlessness sometimes. (Tempest)

Read Or Die/R.O.D

- Read or Die - Even though the first time I saw it was only a month ago it definetly makes this list. Yomiko is the greatest Secret Agent EVER. Anyone that can stop bullets with a piece of paper gets deserves a spot. Yet again I'm a stickler for good animation and this definetly serves my needs. With some of the most well done CG ever in an anime it's the tops. (Zechs)

- Read or Die - Pleasantly thoughtful three-episode OVA, with intriguing characters (both good and bad), and great selectively-corporeal-hot-chick-clone-on-clone action. Too bad it's not longer . . . (Force-Attuned_Krogoth)

- Read or Die. Same reasons as FAK, but also for sheer animation quality. Simply beautiful. I've seen it seven times, and it only gets better. (John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo)

- Read or Die- Very clever, in an "Avengers"-style spy confrontatation. (That's the Steed and Mrs. Peel "Avengers", not the Captain America/Iron Man ones.) Hopefully the R.O.D.-TV series coming out later maintains this level of entertainment satisfaction. (Nobuyuki)

Record Of Lodoss War/Lodoss War

- Record of Lodoss War - The First anime I owned on DVD, actually, I think it might have been the first anime I owned period. Fantasy is fantasy and I love the genre. I find it fascinating that Japan is fascinated by european fantasy and have adopted it and its ideas and emched it with its own. Interesting combinations have come out of this and seeing their take ont he traditional tolkienesque styled world really captured my attention. (AndroSpook)

R.O.D
- see: "Read Or Die"

Rupan/Rupan III
- see: "Lupin"

Rurouni Kenshin

- Rurouni Kenshin- Incredibly multi-layered, Rurouni Kenshin is my favorite anime. The characters are multi-tiered and deep, and the plot is intricately woven. Even the supporting characters seem to play a much larger part than they really do. It doesn't hurt that the animation is really good, also. This show is simply great. (Tempest)

- Rurouni Kenshin (TV Series) - The first season is great - a lot of fun, full of good fight scenes and great characters. But it's the Kyoto arc that really makes the series - the characters become memorable, and the showdown in Kyoto in just so exciting. So many great fighters are going to converge on one spot - and the series doesn't dissapoint here. (TheWorldWeKnow)

- Rurouni Kenshin - This show just encompassed everything I liked about the genre. The post-Meiji era comes off as very realistic, the characters feel like real people, everyone has some sort of appeal, and the man himself, Kenshin, reflects the perfect image of a protagonist in my mind. The first 27 episodes served little more than to develop the characters, and being an avid RPG fan, this is exactly what I needed. The Kyoto arc shines as a beautifully constructed plot, and my few quibbles with characters and events are muted by just how great everything comes together. The often-ignored Tales of the Meiji manages to continue the vibe of the first arc, as Sanosuke gets some great character development during the "Son of God" story (which never gets the credit it should for being a great story), as well as the following story being very enjoyable in my mind. My disagreement with the last adventure should bring down the series as a whole, but the preservation of the already-established characters was done well enough to satisfy. (JJc14)

- see also: "Samurai X"
---
===

you know what to do...
PostSat Feb 14, 2004 8:34 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
- Read or Die- Very clever, in an "Avengers"-style spy confrontatation. (That's the Steed and Mrs. Peel "Avengers", not the Captain America/Iron Man ones.) Hopefully the R.O.D.-TV series coming out later maintains this level of entertainment satisfaction. (Nobuyuki)

Mmm....ROD TV. Good stuff (^_^)
PostMon Feb 16, 2004 8:23 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Chibi_Zero wrote:
Mmm....ROD TV. Good stuff (^_^)

That's a good enough recommendation for me. Cool
Come on, Geneon!
PostMon Feb 16, 2004 4:17 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: