нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Various questions/comments from newbie... (involves GW+RK)
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Various questions/comments from newbie... (involves GW+RK)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth_Duck

Post subject: Various questions/comments from newbie... (involves GW+RK)
I've been reading this forum a while, after finally breaking down and watching the WHOLE Gundam W series(DVD). I have a lot of newbie questions being as I'm not an anime person.
1)What is the actual definition of OVA?
2)What would be some of the best anime to watch for someone is isn't really into it much? I really enjoyed GW, as far as the characters, plot, themes, Gundams, etc. Although I really would have liked a little more in-depth interaction between many of the characters. When they suggest obvious romantic ties between many characters, and then have nothing advancing it, it just makes you wonder. I guess I like to see a little honest romance when it's all set up as it was(yes I'm a bit strange, but that mostly has to do with the disappointment and depression stemming from my own, and ending thereof)
3)I'm quite interested in Ruroni, but I'm not a Toonami watcher(although i had CN on at that time once, which was my introduction to GW, among others). Which version would be best to watch? I've heard about original OVAs, unedited DVDs, and then the CN version(bleh from all accounts). I enjoy dubs at times, but I also like subs so I know what they're REALLY supposed to be saying(assuming the official subs are correct).
4)continuation on subvsdub- My take on it is, why not have both on? They're usually somewhat different, and seeing/hearing 2 different translations can help you figure out the original intent of the words(in Japanese), I'm assuming, since I don't know Japanese. But that's what's so great about DVDs. You can change at will, or use both.
5)Did they edit the GW DVD or something? Some places, it just seemed like they put stuff in for kiddy-friendly value. Like every place where something with civilians on it is destroyed, they mention "evacuation" of civilians, such as the colonies and the Peacemillion. Yet other times civilians are stuck right in the middle. and "Let's celebrate with some champagne","Yeah, sounds great!", "Non-alcoholic, of course." WTF? I mean, seriously, what kinda line is that?
6)Is there any significant difference between the Eternal Waltz Movie version and OVA version? The have the Special Edition, which includes both. Other than appearing to be in a TV format, with intros and spoilers, there didn't seem to be any difference. Am I missing anything? Note to whoever mentioned it in the Gundam poll- "How many times must I kill that little girl and her dog?" - classic line. As well as Many others i can't think of anymore.
7)Where can I get episode 0? I'm assuming it was Manga, which I know even less about than anime. I'm a big fan of prequels, and many things in the show just weren't explained. Out of curiosity... Was the EP0 written before or after the main show?(I'm assuming after) And did they already have these elements down as being pretexts for the show, or did they just sorta fit backstory in where it would fit?
8)Sorry for the really long post, You've probably explained much of this many times to other newbies, but please help me out if you've got the time. Thanks
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 2:10 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Various questions/comments from newbie... (involves GW+R
Stealth_Duck wrote:
1)What is the actual definition of OVA?

Original Video Animation. It's a short animated series/movie that skips the theaters and gets released straight to video. (NOTE: It's not exclusive to just anime. It happens in other countries as well.)

Quote:
2)What would be some of the best anime to watch for someone is isn't really into it much?

It all depends on your taste of genre. If you're into comedy, you might want to check out one of the Tenchi series or Lupin III. If you like action, Dragonball is a definite choice (start from the first series, though; if you start with Z or GT, you'll be confused as hell). If you want something serious, try Big O or Blue Gender...

And the list goes on and on. Anime has such a huge library, it's sometimes hard to decide where to start if you're a beginner. Just stay away from anything by 4Kids, though. The stuff they make is insulting and painful to watch.

Quote:
3)I'm quite interested in Ruroni, but I'm not a Toonami watcher(although i had CN on at that time once, which was my introduction to GW, among others). Which version would be best to watch? I've heard about original OVAs, unedited DVDs, and then the CN version(bleh from all accounts). I enjoy dubs at times, but I also like subs so I know what they're REALLY supposed to be saying(assuming the official subs are correct).

It all depends on your tastes. We can't really decide that for you there. You have to figure that out on your own personal views.

(Skip #4. It's not really a question.)

Quote:
5)Did they edit the GW DVD or something? Some places, it just seemed like they put stuff in for kiddy-friendly value. Like every place where something with civilians on it is destroyed, they mention "evacuation" of civilians, such as the colonies and the Peacemillion. Yet other times civilians are stuck right in the middle. and "Let's celebrate with some champagne","Yeah, sounds great!", "Non-alcoholic, of course." WTF? I mean, seriously, what kinda line is that?

There are 2 versions of the DVD, the edited version and the uncut version (CN aired both). The edited version doesn't really have much cut out except for some language here and there and the blood. I personally don't see it as that much of a big deal, because even the edited version is still quite mature for typical "kid-friendly" programming.

Quote:
6)Is there any significant difference between the Eternal Waltz Movie version and OVA version? The have the Special Edition, which includes both. Other than appearing to be in a TV format, with intros and spoilers, there didn't seem to be any difference. Am I missing anything?

There's no difference. They're both the same thing.

Quote:
7)Where can I get episode 0? I'm assuming it was Manga, which I know even less about than anime. I'm a big fan of prequels, and many things in the show just weren't explained. Out of curiosity... Was the EP0 written before or after the main show?(I'm assuming after) And did they already have these elements down as being pretexts for the show, or did they just sorta fit backstory in where it would fit?

There was no episode 0 in the anime. I'm not sure about the manga, though, since I've never read it. Confused

Quote:
Sorry for the really long post, You've probably explained much of this many times to other newbies, but please help me out if you've got the time. Thanks

Welcome to the boards. Your posts are readable and you don't act like an idiot. I think you'll fit well in here with the rest of us. Very Happy

Last edited by Daikun on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 2:41 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
1) OVA is just another way of saying direct to video
2) Being that I used to be completely against anime I'll mention the ones that changes my mind about the genre: Escaflowne, Slayers, and an OVA that still hasn't made it stateside (though I do think the rights were finally picked up) Memories.
3) From what I've heard teh OVA's are more "realistic" as they don't have Kenshin doing weird fantastic attacks. DVD's are always the best as you can watch sub and dub to see which you prefer (and they tend to be unedited). Personally I can't stand the series itself.
4) That's generally exactly what I do.
5) I also can't stand the Gundam series (all except one 008th ms team) so I'm of no help to you on this one.
6) The only difference is that the movie version had all the non flowing stuff (ie the credits n stuff) removed to let it flow like a movie. That's all, no biggie.
7) hehe, big fan of prequels eh? how'd you like SW ep 1 & 2?
Cool yeah they've been answered before, but since you asked all intellegently we'll let it slide. Smile

Welcome aboard.
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 2:51 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject:
Welcome to the board Smile
rednekbob9: you're automatically a perfect match
rednekbob9: run like hell
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 11:16 am
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Welcome. *twitch* Twisted Evil

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 11:40 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yay! An intelligent AND polite newbie!

As far as anime I'd reccomend, and assuming you aren't into Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, (Those got me hooked 5 years ago) I'd reccomend Outlaw Star, Trigun, and above all, Cowboy Bebop. It seems as though you're lost in the world of anime. Bebop is the most American thing I've seen come out of Japan. By American, I mean there are countless references to American culture. The plot is serious, everyone has a different take on the ending, and the the last episode manages to be both my favorite and my least favorite of the series. It's good stuff. (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LET NO ONE RUIN THE ENDING FOR YOU.)

So yeah, I'd reccomend Bebop. Trigun is a little less serious, and a little more confusing, and a lot more humor. Outlaw Star is my personal favorite, but I have no idea why. All three series are set in the future, and Bebop is the most realistic.

Also, just to give you an idea of some other stuff I like, as sort of a comparison type of thing, my favorite series of all time is Beast Wars. I've also enjoyed Reboot, Gundam Wing, Batman Beyond, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (both old and new school), Justice League, and a whole slew of others. I'm just a fan of good quality animation, not anime.

So yeah, if you have a few hunderd bucks to waste, go with Bebop. I think that's the the most sure-fire way to get something good. (Oh, and for a guide to the numerous references to American culture after you watch, check out www.jazzmess.com )

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 12:27 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Awww, cant I ruin it for him like I ruined Eva for you?

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 3:52 pm
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
*Enter Kagome*
Me: "Excuse me, woud you mind?"
Kagome: "Not at all, WhtHawk" *turns to Kalma* "SIT!"
Me: "Thanks."
Kagome: "Don't mention it. Kalma is. . . SIT!. . .SIT!. . .SIT!"

Welcome to the infolink. To answer your question about Gundam Wing Episode 0, it only exists in manga form. I found it in a small book store in St. Louis in the graphic novels section. Barnes and Noble owned that book store I later found out. B&N has a lot of manga. You can get Episode 0 here but there are other Gundam Wing manga to be read. Hope that helps.
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 4:11 pm
Stealth_Duck

Post subject:
I liked some of the prequel BOOKS for SW i've read(several years ago). 2nd movie was decent, first was just stupid. Silly me, expecting George to break out with the intelligent dialogue instead of just fancy CG scenes.
1 problem with my solution to SvD debate... for sub fans, you still aren't hearing the original soundtrack, for dub fans, you still hafta read the bottom the get the benefit.
-How can you tell which are edited and not? For example, the GW has no clue as to whether it was edited. (Although it sure seemed to be)
Being as I have a free trial to netflix coming up whenever i wanna activate it, which should i try first? I'm probably going for bebop first, but are the ones they have edited or not?
Thanks for the welcome, everyone
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 5:31 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Stealth_Duck wrote:
1 problem with my solution to SvD debate... for sub fans, you still aren't hearing the original soundtrack, for dub fans, you still hafta read the bottom the get the benefit.

Sounds like you have your terms backward. Sub-titled shows have the original Japanese (or whatever) soundtrack with translated dialogue on the bottom of the screen. Dubbed shows have spoken English (or whatever) dialogue replacing the original soundtrack.

Quote:
How can you tell which are edited and not? For example, the GW has no clue as to whether it was edited. (Although it sure seemed to be)
Being as I have a free trial to netflix coming up whenever i wanna activate it, which should i try first? I'm probably going for bebop first, but are the ones they have edited or not?

Most are unedited, such as the Bebop DVD's. Edited titles normally state on the packaging that they are, except certain releases like the 4Kids' shows that are always edited, per company policy.
As far as recommendations, there are several threads already on the board for you to look through, and JJc14 is working on a "TIL Recommends" section of user submissions for the front page (or at least the "Reviews" section of the site).
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 6:20 pm
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
I have only seen one episode of Bebop, which was great, but I own Trigun. I really love Trigun. I would personally recomend that as a starter, although if I saw Bebop in whole, I might recomend that too. Its up to you though.
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 6:34 pm
Stealth_Duck

Post subject:
nope, i got my terms right. I was referring to my solution to the svd debate in the first post. I said watch it with subs AND dubs. but with that, you can't hear the original track(downside for sub fans), and you gotta read the screen for the full benefit(downside for dub fans).
Well, I'd say Imma go for Bebop. Hooray for netflix ^^
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Stealth_Duck wrote:
nope, i got my terms right. I was referring to my solution to the svd debate in the first post. I said watch it with subs AND dubs. but with that, you can't hear the original track(downside for sub fans), and you gotta read the screen for the full benefit(downside for dub fans).

Ah, I see. I do that sometimes.
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 6:56 pm
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
I do that with Metropolis. There are two sub tracks on it. One is the english theatrical translation, the other is the direct, unconjugated translation to english. Neither double the english audio track. It takes a while to get used to unconjugated words but I really like them.
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 7:27 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Welcome aboard, new guy. Someone link the top 10 reccomendations thread--those are usually all really good.
PostWed Jan 28, 2004 8:50 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: