нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Not sure.

Ill just list some good and funny ones.

In no partucular order.

• Mazinkaiser.
  • Sexy Commando.
  • Colorful.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion.
  • Trigun.
  • Cowboy Bebop.
  • Martian Sucessor: Nadesico.
  • FLCL.
  • Akira.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion.
  • Ruroni Kenshin.
  • Excel Saga.

All nice and neat with the list command.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostMon Dec 22, 2003 4:13 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kalma wrote:
All nice and neat with the list command.

I always wondered how that worked...

Oh, aren't you supposed to list your reasons WHY you recommend them?
PostMon Dec 22, 2003 10:12 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
No. We weren't. But I suppose I could.

Ill only give you Sexy Commando.

A very hilarious show with 8 minute episodes. The Sexy Commando is a fighting technique based on catching the opponent off guard by pulling your pants down and walking all sporadically.

Oh, and I forgot two animes.

• InuYasha.
  • Big O.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostTue Dec 23, 2003 12:46 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kalma wrote:
No. We weren't. But I suppose I could.

I think you should, since:
the long-departed Tempest, in the very first post wrote:
This is a place to post your top ten anime shows/movies, AND reasons why.

PostTue Dec 23, 2003 1:36 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Since this thread has been revived, I shall addend my list.

Saishuu-Heiki Kanoujuu (a.k.a She, the Ultimate Weapon or SaiKano) - Brutally struggling with 08th MS Team for best anime in my mind. It's a very complete story about love, war, children, and the unholy combination of the three. The characters are very pure, yet oddly dynamic. The premise is admittedly unrealistic, but once the circumstances have been set up, the rest is perfectly resonable. Everyone learns why war == bad. It's not a happy series, but if that turns you off, you've got a lot to learn. All in all, an extremely excellent series. And it's coming to America in April! Wheee!
PostTue Dec 23, 2003 6:03 pm
Ixidor

Veteran

Post subject:
10. Animatrix - Kid's Story (I am a fan of unusal types of animation)
9. Ghost in the Shell
8. Princess Mononoke
7. Akira
6. Lupin III - Castle of Cagliostro
5. Trigun
4. Naruto
3. Cowboy Bebop
2. FLCL
1. Evangelion
PostWed Dec 24, 2003 1:30 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
as i was contemplating my next review, i came across this thread and decided to try something new...i can only think of nine anime that'd make my list, but i threw in some recommendations of those that were either close or are too new in my mind to be ranked just yet...

just so you understand the format, the first paragraph is to explain my state of mind upon initially viewing the series, the second paragraph is what i liked about it, and the third is whether or not i own it, to give an idea of how long i've had access to it and whatnot...remember, these are only my opinions within, so expect some discrepancies between my thoughts and yours...

spoilers have been kept to the bare minimum, but i felt the need to touch on a few things, being as vague as possible to those who may not have seen the series as of right now...if anyone thinks i may have crossed a line, let me know and i'll alter/remove it...

alright, here we go:

---
1.) Rurouni Kenshin (TV)
Oh don't look so shocked. It was the summer of 2002, and after the insane year of stellar anime after stellar anime on Toonami as well as the immortal Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim, I thought I had seen it all. Ironically, my friend almost bought the first volume of Kenshin for my birthday at this time, but decided instead to keep it for himself. By the end of the summer, he had collected all 22 volumes and I had watched every one.

This show just encompassed everything I liked about the genre. The post-Meiji era comes off as very realistic, the characters feel like real people, everyone has some sort of appeal, and the man himself, Kenshin, reflects the perfect image of a protagonist in my mind. The first 27 episodes served little more than to develop the characters, and being an avid RPG fan, this is exactly what I needed. The Kyoto arc shines as a beautifully constructed plot, and my few quibbles with characters and events are muted by just how great everything comes together. The often-ignored Tales of the Meiji manages to continue the vibe of the first arc, as Sanosuke gets some great character development during the "Son of God" story (which never gets the credit it should for being a great story), as well as the following story being very enjoyable in my mind. My disagreement with the last adventure should bring down the series as a whole, but the preservation of the already-established characters was done well enough to satisfy.

While it may seem odd for me to say I currently do not own the series, the collection has finally begun, as I now own volumes 1, 2, and 22, with the rest sure to follow soon.

2.) Trigun
After seeing Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop, I couldn't help but want to check out Trigun, which was always grouped as the third "space cowboy" anime. My friend was able to borrow another person's DVDs, and come Winter Break '01, I was able to take in a classic.

While the story was a bit sketchy, I couldn't help but fall in love with the characters. I saw so much of myself in Vash, and his interactions with Millie and Meryl always proved amusing. Wolfwood is perhaps the best supporting character in existence, and one can truly feel the evil within Legato. While the first half is considered filler, with such great characters, I could watch them go through anything. The emotional turn during the second half really allowed the characters to shine, and Vash's actions to save Millie and Meryl still stops my heart every time.

After being informed of the first-release foil cover DVDs, I bypassed the boxset and tracked down each one individually, completing the collection in December '02.

3.) Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (OVA 1)
One of my first anime exposures not on TV, it was the summer of 2001 when I got to borrow this from a friend. At the time, we weren't aware of this merely being a prequel to the series, so my initial exposure was in the belief that this was a stand-alone story.

The dark, serious tone hovering over the four episodes was completely different from anything I'd seen prior, as I had foolhardily assumed that all anime involved "fun" adventures. The dub was stellar, and seeing the red stuff fly for the first time truly made for quite the experience. The climax caught me off-guard, and the ending felt complete, something that many animes appear to stumble on.

This remains one of only two series I ended up re-borrowing a year later, though I finally acquired the DVD's X-mas 2002.

4.) Outlaw Star [tie]
While Dragonball Z's fourth season can be credited to my finding of Toonami, I initially ignored everything else on the block. That was until I started seeing ads for this action-packed series in space. It wasn't until the series' second run that I tuned in on a whim, and the world of animation opened its doors to me once again.

How can one go wrong with cool characters, an awesome spaceship, and kick-ass adventures? The concept of the Galactic Leyline had me sucked in from the start, and the first four episodes were an unparalleled rush. While the story strayed from time to time, the character development was superb and the build-up to the conclusion could not have been executed any better. The ending is definite, and while there's still room for more, it can stand alone just fine.

Outlaw Star was my first non-DBZ DVD purchase back in the summer of 2001.

4.) Cowboy Bebop [tie]
While everyone was getting hyped about the Adult Swim block in the summer of 2001, I initially didn't care. All the shows advertised appeared to be crudely-drawn creations that I didn't see the point of wasting my time on. When I first saw the ad for Cowboy Bebop, I was reminded of the Bandai trailer on my Outlaw Star DVDs that didn't really catch my interest. Man, was I pleasantly surprised...

Cowboy Bebop mixes a great core cast of characters and amazing combat scenes (hand to hand, firearm, and space), somehow managing to squeeze it into a very realistic take on the future environment. The episodic adventures in the beginning set the pace for the heavier focus on backstory later, the culmination of which being greater than anything else I've seen, animated or not.

Oddly enough, Bebop is the only series on this list I've chosen not to collect, mostly due to the fact it's earned a semi-permanent spot on television and that everyone I know already has it, making borrowing very simple.

6.) The Big O (Season 1)
Oddly enough, I didn't want to watch Big O at first. Outlaw Star was removed before I could see a full run back in April 2001, and the "Batman-with-a-robot" show that replaced it initially had no appeal to me whatsoever. This feeling lasted all of two days.

With Big O, not only did I first appreciate a "giant robot" show, the great voice of David Lucas caused me to take a closer look at the people behind the characters. The setting of a world devoid of memories over forty years ago was fascinating, as each episode slowly served to flesh out this place called Paradigm. One couldn't help but imagine just what happened to cause the city's current state, and as the episodes went on, it felt that the solution was forthcoming. Episode 13 redefined what I thought a cliffhanger was, though obviously I wasn't the only one intrigued as the second season was recently released.

When realizing that repeat viewings brought more hidden facts to the forefront, I decided to collect the series on DVD, purchasing the fourth and (then) final volume the day it came out: 12/18/01.

7.) Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
With Big O opening my eyes to the notion that "giant robot" anime can actually be entertaining, I thought it'd be best to continue broadening my horizons. Everyone talked about this show "Gundam Wing" that I missed out on, so when I saw the ads for another show sharing the title, I couldn't help but check it out. With the premiere on the Midnight Run, I just had the feeling it'd be good, and I could not have been more right...

Taking place during the One Year War, the 08th MS Team OVA takes the outer space, aerial battles down to Earth (literally). Shiro Amada and his crew take on ground missions in a brewing battle for land between the Federation and Zeon. A chance encounter between Shiro and Aina, a high-ranking Zeon officer, sets the stage for the second half of the series, which is full of suspenseful twists and turns.

I collected 08th MS Team around the same time as Big O, though with issues finding a working copy of the last DVD, I didn't complete the collection until Summer 2002.

8.) Macross Plus
Since the arrival of Cartoon Network began to revitalize my love for animation, a friend decided to take advantage, sharing his VHS tapes to this four episode series around Christmas 2000. I had no exposure to Robotech or anything with the Macross title, but surprisingly, that didn't matter.

The first thing I noticed was the animation, which was, and still is, simply stunning. The air-combat scenes were beautiful, and the plot proved to me that a more mature story could be told in animated form. Isamu Dyson was a favorite character of mine, which no doubt led to my liking of Gene Starwind when Outlaw Star arrived a few months later.

It's been just about three years now, and despite re-borrowing the series a second time, I still have yet to add it to my collection. This mistake should finally be corrected after I'm done Kenshin though.

9.) Dragonball Z: Trunks/Androids/Cell Saga
When Cartoon Network finally came to my area in Fall 2000, there was only one thing on my mind. With syndicated episodes of DBZ only going up to episode 50-something, there was quite the gap of events I was waiting to see. Seeing that the "current" airings had moved beyond the whole Frieza thing to Goku taking on some green, bug-like enemy, I decided it'd be best to wait, with the payoff coming quick enough when Gohan did one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. When the saga started up again, I was hooked.

From the beginning with Trunks' arrival, I knew this wasn't the same DBZ of the Saiyan and Namek sagas. The concept of a dark future without Goku added a tense feeling to the usual fighting. With the arrival of the androids, it was amazing to see the shift in power, and Cell's arrival felt like the end was near. The utilization of the more neglected warriors in the story gave it a much more "complete" feel, and the 'Super Saiyan' concept still felt fresh. With the way things ended, one could feel a state of closure, though that obviously didn't last long.

While the money involved in collecting the entire series has scared me off, I've still managed to pick up the first two DVD's ("Mysterious Youth" and "Prelude To Terror"), as well as the special, "The History Of Trunks".

10.) Miscellaneous
A few more enjoyable titles that either didn't or haven't yet made my top list include the following:

Martian Successor Nadesico - With a character count putting DBZ to shame, Nadesico remains hilarious throughout, pausing when necessary to address the more serious undertones, but remaining a great ride from start to finish.

Gundam 0080 - A short OVA with great characters and what I found to be a very unexpected ending.

.hack//SIGN - Another series with great characters, but suffers from what even I'd consider some slow sequences.

Dual! Parallel Adventures - A short but fun series that mixes mecha with Tenchi to surprisingly good results despite the odd setting.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - An entertaining twenty-odd episodes followed by a serious turn and highly unusual ending, this series initially entertained me but hasn't held up well over time.

Inuyasha - Well-developed characters and a little bit of everything has maintained my interest in what I've seen of the first half of this series.
---

so there you have it, but before ending this post, i have to do the cheap thing and plug the Reviews section of our site for those looking for more information about kenshin, outlaw star, cowboy bebop, gundam, .hack, evangelion, and others not on my list...
PostFri Dec 26, 2003 11:31 am
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hajime no Ippo moved up to slot 2 on my board.
I recommend it in the HIGHEST DEGREE!

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 3:22 am
Collegebum

Post subject:
My top 10

Cowboy Bebop :Already been explained

Trigun: Same

FCLC: IT doenst get any more Jananese than this show, but its so damn funny

DBZ Movies 1-4: You get to see Goku at his best. Fight secens are no where near lame plus you can get the first 3 untouched be funamation.

Inuyasha: GOODDDDDDDD!

All the GUndam Series ex SD Gundam

ROBOTECH/Macross. If you like Top Gun and Gundam then you will love this series.

Vampire Hunter D. : ITs just good.

hummm, Ill think of the other 2 later
PostSun Jan 04, 2004 4:21 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
Martian Successor Nadesico - With a character count putting DBZ to shame, Nadesico remains hilarious throughout, pausing when necessary to address the more serious undertones, but remaining a great ride from start to finish.

I second that. Gekigengar! Did I even spell that right?

PostWed Jan 07, 2004 10:20 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
i was reading through this thread earlier and a lot of what's been said has been really helpful to someone like me who hasn't seen a lot of the anime/animation listed...i'm thinking this would be perfect for anyone who casually visits the site, and i'd like to combine many of these lists into one or more review submissions, with a title along the lines of "The Infolink Recommends"...

lemme explain how i'd set it up...each top ten list would be preceeded by the author's name, and i wouldn't change anything within...i figure if there's more than three or four lists, it would get rather long and redundant to put them all into one review submission, so it'd be split into "Part 1", "Part 2", etc...

of course, since i'm not the author of any of these (other than my own), i don't want to use another person's work without their permission...i'm thinking it'd be best to leave about a month-long window open for anyone that may not want their list used for some reason to let me know...this would also allow time for those who haven't written a list but may want to, or for anyone who wants to revise their list to do so...

before i fully take the plunge into setting this up, i'd like to know if this idea interests anyone...the way i see it now, Tempest, AndroSpook, TheWorldWeKnow, AdmiralGreer, Zechs, Force-Attuned_Krogoth, and John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo's lists all look good already, while Green-Bird would just need descriptions for his top five and crinoalvien124's just needs a bit of cleanup...including mine, that'd be ten possible lists already, and you'd all be contributing to the site with minimal effort...

if this sounds like a good idea, waste of time, or a situation in which gouf should be strapped to something, speak up and let me know...
PostSat Jan 10, 2004 7:18 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Wasn't MY list good?

PostSat Jan 10, 2004 11:56 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
shut up
PostSun Jan 11, 2004 3:37 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
RUN AWAY!

PostSun Jan 11, 2004 4:07 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
i was reading through this thread earlier and a lot of what's been said has been really helpful to someone like me who hasn't seen a lot of the anime/animation listed...i'm thinking this would be perfect for anyone who casually visits the site, and i'd like to combine many of these lists into one or more review submissions, with a title along the lines of "The Infolink Recommends"...

lemme explain how i'd set it up...each top ten list would be preceeded by the author's name, and i wouldn't change anything within...i figure if there's more than three or four lists, it would get rather long and redundant to put them all into one review submission, so it'd be split into "Part 1", "Part 2", etc...

JJc, feel free to help yourself to any of the following that I've written in various threads on this message board:

Tenchi Muyo! & various Kajishima multiverse series (Dual!, Photon, Tenchi Muyo! GXP, a couple of titles I can't list here)- To me the most interesting thing about Tenchi Muyo! is the backstory and the bigger picture of Jurai history and galaxy politics, not just a group of people living in an ordinary-looking house in Okayama... It's just like delving into Star Wars or Star Trek and coming to an understanding of how this story universe works and how it's put together. Unfortunately Western fans don't have readily-available access to this information. That's a shame, too.

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor- My #2 all-time favorite, part-M*A*S*H, part-Star Trek, a little Animal House, lots of funny while also exploring the theme of how the individual, while still maintaining a sense of moral decency, can question authority and practice social nonconformity. And its effects on the people surrounding him.

El-Hazard: The Magnificent World- One of the best sci-fantasy stories created, IMHO. Drawing on elements from "Arabian Nights", "The Prince and the Pauper", and esp. Edgar Rice Burroughs "Mars"-series novels, EH manages to tell its overall story to complete conclusion while still leaving itself open to endless adventuring inside its fantastic world setting. Too bad later writers weren't up to the challenge. Sad
Note: stay away from this if you have any qualms about naked women or aggressive lesbianism. Wink

---> [I've said it before: Irresponsible Captain Tylor and El-Hazard (the original) are the most perfect endings I've seen...]

Read or Die- Very clever, in an "Avengers"-style spy confrontatation. (That's the Steed and Mrs. Peel "Avengers", not the Captain America/Iron Man ones.) Hopefully the R.O.D.-TV series coming out later maintains this level of entertainment satisfaction.

Martian Successor Nadesico- Humor, melodrama, love, war, honor, duty, BIG STOMPY ROBOTS, and an anime convention.
This show has it all.

Sorcerer Hunters- Same creative team as Tylor, about a "Saiyuki/Journey to the West"-style group of "warriors" who travel around in a world ruled by magic users. They receive orders from the high-muckety-muck "Big Momma" to hunt down and eliminate magicians who misuse their powers or practice "forbidden" forms of magic. Funny, funny stuff.

Lupin III- Personality-wise Lupin is basically the Japanese equivalent to Bugs Bunny. The classic series may be dated and the newer stories less entertaining, but even mediocre Lupin is better than at least 60% of the stuff on US prime-time TV. God help me, I do love it so. Very Happy

Great Teacher Onizuka-An anti-hero like Lupin, Onizuka may be crude, loud and obnoxious, but his heart is in the right place. He wants nothing more than to become the best teacher ever, winning over his class of bullying delinquents one-by-one with nothing more than his unique sense of integrity and idealism about how student-teacher relationships should be. He's the kind of teacher my high-school friends and I imagined WE would want to be if we ever grew up.

Gokudo- It's quite juvenile, but if Jay Ward had been Japanese, this would have been "Fractured Fairy Tales". From "The Prince and the Pauper" thru "Journey to the West" and the "Bodhisattva", a bunch of (primarily) eastern folk tales get turned on their ear just for laughs.

His and Her Circumstances- A well-written (for the most part) high-school romance that calls to mind the early John Hughes films, mainly "Sixteen Candles", but also "Pretty in Pink". The biggest drawbacks are too many recap episodes and a rushed non-ending brought on by budget shortfalls and early series cancellation. Still worth watching, even episode 19, the infamous "paper-doll" episode. Once again proving that if the writing and performances are great, it doesn't matter what medium the story's told in. You can see a little seed of the future FLCL's wackiness begin to sprout. The Evangelion riffs are cute, too.

Last edited by Nobuyuki on Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Jan 11, 2004 2:29 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: