нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Study finds: The RIAA's fear induction is working.
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Study finds: The RIAA's fear induction is working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Study finds: The RIAA's fear induction is working.
Quote:
Driven largely by fears of copyright lawsuits, more than 17 million Americans, or 14% of adult Internet users, have stopped downloading music over the Internet, a survey finds.

But the overall percentage of people who say they currently do so has inched back up since November, the Pew Internet and American Life Project said in a study Sunday.

A third of the former downloaders - nearly 6 million - say they stopped because of the highly publicized lawsuits filed by the recording industry since last summer against more than 1,000 users.

Many of the lawsuits have led to settlements of thousands of dollars each. Legally, recording labels can demand $150,000 per song for copyright infringement.

Men and users ages 18-29 were the ones most likely to stop, the survey finds.

The study does not distinguish between music downloaded illegally and songs bought through authorized sites such as iTunes. Seventeen percent of the current downloaders did say they are using paid services, though not necessarily as their exclusive source of online music.

Among those who have never downloaded music, three in five users - women more likely than men - say the lawsuits are enough to persuade them never to do so.

Even many of those still downloading music - 38% - say they are doing so less frequently because of the lawsuits.

Nonetheless, the random telephone-based study conducted in February finds that 18 percent of Internet users say they now download music over the Internet, an increase from 14% in a pre-Christmas survey.

And the percentage of Internet users who say they share their music, video and other files with others over the Internet increased to 23 percent in February, from 20 percent in the Nov. 18-Dec. 14 survey.

Still both sets of numbers reflect decreases from last Spring.

The February study of 1,371 Internet users has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&ncid=528&e=2&u=/ap/20040425/ap_on_hi_te/downloading_music_2
PostTue Apr 27, 2004 12:18 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
odd, i've actually started downloading some tunes for the first time since napster's heyday due to the likelihood of me doing a lot of computer-related work for a friend this summer and needing some music to help pass the time...all that i download is anime and video game background music that i can't go out and buy without extended effort, and while that doesn't make it legal, it's a fair enough tradeoff in my eyes...

hopefully in my case i can get away with it since it takes HALF AN HOUR to download a song...
PostTue Apr 27, 2004 8:14 am
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kazaa lite RIAA BIATCHES!
Plus i move all of my music to a separate folder that my shared folder.
The only things I share are taped video clips that you can't buy anyways.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostTue Apr 27, 2004 10:27 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
KaZaA crashes my computer. That's why I don't download anymore. Though if I did, I would only share unrelease Ben Folds tracks, because they kickass, can't be bought, and should deffinitely be heard. Plus Ben is all for the dling music thing, since it gets people excited about music. But I own all of his legally anyway, so whatever I have on my computer is allowed.

Intesting to note, CD sales were up 10% when Napster was in it's prime.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostTue Apr 27, 2004 5:11 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I don't use kazaa...or the lite version
I was never much into d/ling music, except game remixes, off ocremix
and I believe those are public license, or something to that effect
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 12:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wow... One Thing says Music Downloads are going down and another says it's going up.... which to believe...
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 4:59 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Is it only me or has ChibiZero's avatar never worked...
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 9:17 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Chibi_Zero wrote:
Wow... One Thing says Music Downloads are going down and another says it's going up.... which to believe...

they mean that illegal (ie. kazaa) downloads are down and legal (ie. itunes) downloads are up.
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
Is it only me or has ChibiZero's avatar never worked...

it used to work, it hasn't for a while now though...
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostThu Apr 29, 2004 1:21 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
yeah I've notcied that it hasn't worked... Seems some how it was deleted...
PostThu Apr 29, 2004 5:19 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
dougisfunny wrote:
I don't use kazaa...or the lite version
I was never much into d/ling music, except game remixes, off ocremix
and I believe those are public license, or something to that effect

I only got into downloading big name music when I'd had my all cd's stolen for the 3rd time (car broken into twice -- for a grand total of well over 500 cd's) and the police told me that though they got fingerprints the person who did it was probably an illegal and so they wouldn't be able to catch them.
PostThu Apr 29, 2004 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
UPDATE: People don't seem to care about prices anymore...

Quote:
U.S. music consumers are sharply increasing their interest in legal downloads and diminishing their use of free song-swapping over the Internet, a survey showed.

The survey by the NPD Group found about five percent of those who have purchased music CDs also used a legal Internet service to purchase music in the first quarter of 2004, or triple the percentage in the same period a year ago.

Among music buyers who purchased both CDs and a song download from a legal service, the likelihood that they also downloaded a song illegally fell dramatically, from 64 percent last year to 42 percent in 2004, the survey found.

The surge in use of legitimate online music services comes as a growing number of companies have set up sites with song downloads for roughly one dollar. At the same time, the music industry has been cracking down on file-swapping with lawsuits alleging copyright infringement.

"Paid services like iTunes and Rhapsody appear to be attracting core music buyers, which can create a firm foundation for legal digital music purchases," said Russ Crupnick, president of NPD Music.

"To date, NPD data shows that there has been a small reduction in sales of CDs; however, that decline might be offset by the overall value of the digital customer and the downturn in illegal file sharing."

Consumers who downloaded from a legal service or became paid members of subscription services showed only a small reduction in the number of CDs that they purchased at retail. The average consumer who paid for digital music as well as CDs purchased less than one fewer CD in 2003 compared to 2002, the survey found.

"Our research shows that it's the people who are really into music that are beginning to adopt paid digital services as an additional way of acquiring and enjoying music, and so far these services are living side by side with traditional CDs," Crupnick said.

"As the industry matures and digital music becomes even more main stream, it remains to be seen just how much paid digital music will affect the market for CDs."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1506&ncid=1506&e=11&u=/afp/20040519/ts_alt_afp/us_internet_music_040519164837
PostWed May 19, 2004 11:58 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: