нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - CCon! - A Report
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
CCon! - A Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject: CCon! - A Report
or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Weirdnessocity . . .

So, I attended ConnectiCon yesterday, being able to go only for one out of it's three days of running. I didn't mention it BEFORE attending only because I didnt know I was going until last Thursday, and I didn't think to mention it until I was there. So if any of you old school TDAers where there in attendance, my appologies.

Anyway, twas my first convention, ever.

And twas fuggin weird.

Let me start off by reminding everyone that I am an anime fan of a different breed. My tastes MOST align themselves with those of our former beloved member Spookmonkey. Spook, as you recall, has always loved animation, and in fact is doing his damndest to get a job in the industry. Ironically enough, since he's left, I've found myself with a similar pursuit in life, but that is a discussion for another day. The point is that Spook was a fan of Animation, not anime. And so am I. In fact, ConnectiCon is known for sporting a large amount of webcomic artists (including those of Mac Hall, 8-bit Theater, and Dr. McNinja, 3 of the 4 webcomics that I read religiously), and I was more attracted by the prospect to share a few breif words with Brian Clevenger than I was for any other reason.

So yeah, I'm not your typical anime fan, if it wasn't ever apparent before. I love CARTOONS. I love ANIMATION. Anime is a form of ANIMATION, and that is why I adore it. I hate subtitles because for me, that removes the point of watching. How can you take in the whole image if you're staring at the bottom 5th of the screen the whole time? Answer: You can't. To me, that lessens the experience. I know many of you would disagree, and you're allowed. However, allow me my right to prefer dubbing, if only for the reason that it allows me to examine the artform.

Anyway, the two main things I'd heard about Cons are the following:

1) People CosPlay. Some good, most bad. Usually at least one or two creepy.
2) People at Cons don't shower. No one knows why. But they don't.

And I discovered that both were true. However! This particular Con lucked out in that the mandatory creepy cos-player was ALSO the best cosplayer. Some tall, skinny dude dressed up as Voldo from Soul Calibur. He even had cloth taped over his eyes and mouth the WHOLE DAY. It was REALLY awesome as a costume, and also really creepy. If the guy had bent over backward I would have run in fear because that would mean that he WAS Voldo. Seriously, his costume was THAT GOOD.

Also, I participated in a Smash Bros. tourney. My skills were deffinitely rusty (having not had any REAL competition for about a year) but I managed to beat two people. If this was a year ago, I would have beaten the third guy I faced. But such is life. Getting to the top 32 at a con on a popular game isn't too shabby.

The dealers room had some neat stuff, even if I didn't buy anything from anyone other than the webcomic people. Disposable Parts, a collaboration graphic novel about robots headed by the guys at AppleGeeks is deffinitely an interesting and varied read, at the very least. Also, I had Brian Clevenger sign the front page of the one that he wrote, and he signs his name "Brian!". And I very much appreciated that.

CCon is also known for it's webcomics panel, in which they get EVERY webcomic artist up on the same stage to answer questions. It's neat hearing the different answers, but at the same time, what do you ask a group of such varied people? The guys from Mac Hall sat in the back row the whole time with their Nintendo DS's out, using PictoChat to talk to people in the auidiance. A guy in front of me had his DS out and was partaking in the PictoChatting, and I saw some very McConovillian images flash accross the screen. I heard some people complaining about the fact that "some of the web comic people were playing on the DS's the whole time! WTF wuz dat?!?!?", but me? I applaud them. They'd rather mingle with a few people in the crowd than be apart of the sillyness on stage. As a whole, though, the Uber Web Comic Panel was neatness. A few funny things were said and some neat stories were told.

Also, the Artist Alley was neat, and deffinitely exposed me to some stuff I would have never seen otherwise. I didn't get a chance to check out any screening rooms, but they apprently weren't running on schedule, so, meh. They did, I heard, air some episodes of David the Gnome early that morning, and I'm serious when I say that I'm sorry I missed out on that. But aside form that, I'll continue to let Cartoon Network be my preliminary filter for what deserves at least a cursory glance.

Now, here's the main thing I got out of all of this. Let me preface this by saying that, though I knew people cosplayed, I thought it was like, you know, a FEW people. 3%-ish. 10% tops.

No. It's closer to 40%.

It's closer to being the NORM than it is to being the EXCEPTION.

*GAWK*

My friend and I walked in, and felt out of place. And my friend is an Anime fan (read: not an animation fan like me, but instead someone that prefers fansubs and has probably seen as much if not more anime than any one person reading this (no word of a lie. I can't NEARLY boast such a feat.)) and HE felt just as out of place as I did!

And so we came to a realization.

I used to thank that the following was the spectrum of "normallity" (for lack of a better word.):

<-----x------------------------------->

That X is where I would place on the conventional "coolness" scale.

Turns out this is false. The real scale is as follows:

<yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy---X---zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>

where X is me, the z's are the majority of the people I meet in day to day situations, and the y's were all the people at the Con.

Meaning that instead of feeling at all "at home" at the Con, I felt just as out of place, if not more so, than I do normally.

It was just weird. And eye opening.

But yeah, it was a neat experience. All around a well-put-together Con. And as much as I felt weird, it was probably all in my head. I mean, it's not like hte Domokun cos-player was looking at me weird.

....or WAS he . . . *GLARE!*

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 6:26 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Awesome report. Sad to say I wasn't at CCon. (yet to travel to anything but florida cons) You seem like you had the general experiance of any first timer, but I like that you rolled with it all and didn't take anything too harshly. I've noticed some people get dissillusioned way to quickly by one bad experiance, or feel so out of place they don't want to go again. Also glad you tried to get the Full Spectrum experiance. That's the most important part of any con.

Best thing to make sure you have the MOST fun at a con is to try and get a taste of everything. Be open to meeting new people and having fun with any random person you meet. It makes no sense to be shy or self-centered in a place where everyone shares your interests and has little or no shame about it.

Even so, the realm of cosplayers is a tainted one as far as I'm concerned. Once it breaches your "real life" friends and you start hanging out with other cosplayers, drama is unavoidable. The Florida area drama is known the world over(Just visit //cgl/ on 4chan sometime). When they go to a con their entire focus is on theirs and other peoples costumes and the freakin' show. Especially after the show, you'll notice a huge group of people backtalking and starting rumors for the next con. It's pretty pathetic. Personally, I can't say I'm immune from it because so many of my friends are cosplayers and use me as a venting board for their drama. I cosplay a little myself, but just as a fun thing to do with friends. Competition is only fun when you had fun playing, or in this case making the costume and showing it to people.

The webcomic guys are probably the most chilled of any guest at a con. They're not there representing a company, just themselves and their art. Art with legions of fans that it.

Brian is my favorite right behind McConville. Brian is a staple at a lot of the florida cons and I sat in on another one of his panals at Megacon in March. Only sad part is they get asked the same questions over and over again. He has the misfortune at some cons of being a one-man entertainment commitee for a bunch of people that already know everything he has to tell them. The last panal was basically a conversation between him and the five or so people in the front row. Funny of course, but you feel like its a bit of a let down. First time I saw him though it was a totally different experiance. Even though it was the same basic thing, a conversation between him and a few people in the audience who had the balls to talk to him like a normal person.

Just as an added note, Brain C. lives about 10-30mins away from me and I used to live in the same neighborhood as him(never met) but didn't read 8-bit at the time so had no idea who he was.

Oh, also I'm going to be volunteering at Anime Festival Orlando7....wow this month I guess. OH FUCK...two weeks notice my ass, job isn't going to be happy. Hehe, forgot about that.

So yeah. Keep going to cons, you'll meet some really awesome people if you have the courage to just chat with them. If you're interested in a career in animation, you can do some great networking at a con.
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 4:15 am
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: CCon! - A Report
counterparadox wrote:

1) People CosPlay. Some good, most bad. Usually at least one or two creepy.
2) People at Cons don't shower. No one knows why. But they don't.

Taking this opportunity to say that #2 is a myth. At least in the Northwest. Maybe it's a regional thing. Then again, I didn't interact with too many people at Sakuracon (felt a bit "out of place" like you and your friend did) so there wasn't much of a chance to check their hygienic skills.

As for cosplaying, when you see a 200-300 lb girl doing Seong Mina, it really destroys the image you have of the character. And makes you want to gouge out your eyes. And cause pain to all cosplayers. Then you wonder about the sanity of the average cosplayer. Thus, the Domokun was probably out to get you. If you ever see it again, kill it with fire.
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:33 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
To be perfectly fair, the AMOUNT of cosplaying is what shocked me, but not really the quality. There was one Tifa who's body type didn't match (but there was another who's body type DID match, at least somewhat, so that made up for it), and WAY too many people with Naruto headbands, but aside from that, I didn't see any 300 lb fat girls dressed as a skinny character. Nor did I see any old man dressed up as Sailor Moon. Again, the only creepy costume was only creepy because it was so, SO damn good. In terms of quality, I feel I got off lucky. It was the sheer AMOUNT of cosplay that bowled me over.

Also, the HIGLIGHT of the Uber Webcomic Panel was the following: Someone asked where the makers get inspiration. The typical replies came up; "Real life stuff," "Crazy childhood," "I just get drunk." The mic went ALL the way around, to EVERY person, when it happened to land upon Brian Clevenger last. Everyone else had answered, and Brian takes the mic, pauses, looks at hte audience, and deadpan says "......I stole it."

And I loved him even more for that.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 5:49 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: