нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Science fiction closer than ever
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Science fiction closer than ever
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject: Science fiction closer than ever
Excite News wrote:

Weapons that travel far faster than the proverbial speeding bullet are as little as five years from use in combat, say defense officials who used a laser to shoot an artillery shell out of the sky this week.

In a first-of-its-kind feat, the Army used a high-energy laser built by TRW Inc. to heat the shell, fired from a howitzer at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, and cause it to explode in flight. The test was successfully repeated a second time.

The shell, moving at about 1,000 mph, was tracked by radar and heat-sensing infrared sensors, then locked onto and zapped by the laser beam traveling at light speed.

The so-called Mobile Tactical High-Energy Laser is a short-range weapon being co-developed with Israel, which wants it to destroy Katyusha rockets fired at its border villages by Hezbollah guerillas in Lebanon.

The chemically powered weapon, which looks like a searchlight, is one of a handful of laser devices the Pentagon is working on under the umbrella of missile defense.

In earlier tests, the Army used the tactical laser to shoot down 25 Katyushas, both singly and in salvos. Artillery shells, however, generate far less heat than do rockets and are more difficult to track, officials said. Also, since rockets are pressurized, they are easier to detonate than are shells.

"This was, science-wise, a significant accomplishment," said William Congo, a spokesman for the Army Space and Missile Defense Command.

Before, the only defense against a lobbed shell was to bulk up on armor, move out of the way or dig in, said Dan Goure, vice president of the Lexington Institute, a nonprofit think tank in Arlington, Va. The ability to intercept a shell changes that.

"Now, in theory, this kind of capability allows you to deny that kind of attack," Goure said.

(AP) This diagram from TRW shows how the U.S. Army s Tactical High Energy Laser/Advanced Concept...
Full Image

The tactical laser could enter use in 2007. Since development began in 1996, the Army, the Israeli Ministry of Defense and TRW have spent $250 million on the project.

It is designed for use against shells, mortars, short-range ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and air-to-surface munitions. It could also target helicopters and small aircraft, including robotic drones.

Officials hope to shrink the weapon enough to allow it to be mounted on a truck, allowing it to be deployed where needed.

"It's movable, it's not mobile. What we are moving toward is a much smaller, mobile device," Congo said. An artists rendering of the actual deployed weapon shows it assembled from two tractor-trailers, the laser protruding on top.

The weapon would also have to be nimble enough to destroy multiple rounds as quickly as they are fired.

"Shooting down a single artillery shell is pretty cool, but artillery shells don't come in ones," said Christopher Hellman, a senior analyst at the Center for Defense Information in Washington.

Other related weapons the U.S. military is developing include the Airborne Laser, a $3.7 billion project to mount a laser aboard a Boeing 747. The flying laser is being built to intercept and destroy ballistic missiles shortly after launch.

A July report by the General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress, found the Air Force has underestimated the complexity - as well as time and cost - of developing the Airborne Laser system. Even today, it remains "very difficult" to calculate the project's cost and schedule, according to the report.

Also under development are space-based lasers, which would also target ballistic missiles, and ground-based systems that could take out orbiting satellites, crippling enemy communications.

This scares me a little but it makes me even more giddy. One day we will have flashlight sized portible lasers available in sporting good stores around the country... you know, for shooting down those pesky stray bullets. Real Genious has finally come true.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 6:13 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Is this going up on EVERY message board?

Somehow, I don't think lasers are going to be in civilian hands anytime in the next hundred years... But we can dream...
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 7:20 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
It probably is. I'd say we'll see lasers in our lifetimes, I'd say 30-40 years at the earliest and probably closer to 50-75.

PostFri Nov 08, 2002 7:36 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Maybe... What would be really kick arse is if they started making ones like the shoulder mounted things in Akira- now THAT'S a laser.
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 8:03 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
A laser the size of a flashlight is practically impossible, there is a HUGE difference between thouse little keychain lasers and the ones that are used by the military, the power source alone would be impossible to carry even in a backpack form unless we invent some sort of super battery or do what ghost buster did and carry a nuclear reactor on our backs. The the chemicals and other tech alone are way to dangerous to let into the public's hands.

The future of smaller laser weaponsis probably just what was in teh report. A device that is housed within a small truck or vehicle and maybe a weapon the size of a shoulder rocket laucher that is connected to a larger power source.
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 8:04 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well the laser they used is the size of a searchlight, so I'd imagine in 50 years they could slim that down quite abit. Considering the technology leap int he last 50, the next 50's going to see some big changes. And btw I was thinking giant maglight sized flashlights, not the lil dinky ones.

PostFri Nov 08, 2002 8:10 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
This sounds great, but then someone will eventually make a counter-weapon against the lasers. This is just another step in the continuous cycle in creating a better, more efficient weapon.
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think it's called a mirror.

PostSat Nov 09, 2002 1:32 am
AnimeArtist4

Post subject:
ooo.. very interesting. I want to see lasers, hover cars, and virtual reality food simulators! Laughing and maybe hover bikes! in the future!
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 11:28 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Food Simulators? Wouldn't that be like torture. Just picture a starving hobo that puts on one of those hemets and like tries to eat a chocolate cake but in reality it's nothing and then he dies of hunger.

Funny, but sad.
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 11:57 am
AnimeArtist4

Post subject:
Exactley.. I think.. maybe... nevermind. I hope that food doesn't all come in pills in the future.. that takes out all the fun of eating!
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 12:00 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
They'll be the pills you use water on to make them real food, only some idiot will drink the water after taking the pills and explode. It just won't work.
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
Food Simulators? Wouldn't that be like torture. Just picture a starving hobo that puts on one of those hemets and like tries to eat a chocolate cake but in reality it's nothing and then he dies of hunger.

Funny, but sad.

No no, the Food Simulator changes things to look and smell like food. Like changing dirt to chocolate cake and bees to strawberries.

PostSat Nov 09, 2002 12:48 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
I am not going to eat dirt covered bees! No matter how good it looks it's just wrong.
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 12:58 pm
AnimeArtist4

Post subject:
ROTFLOL! Now, if it could take the foods i don't like, and make it look and taste better, that would be awesome. and i doubt this would make people obese anymore... I mean, if you gave one of these food simulators to someone overweight, then what you would do, is make carrots, broccoli, and other halthy foods taste and look like steak, fried chicken, and so on, but you woulod still get the same nutrients from the healthy food. that would be great!
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 1:00 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: