нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Questions for viewing of RK and TM.
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Questions for viewing of RK and TM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth_Duck

Post subject: Questions for viewing of RK and TM.
what is the best order for one to watch the entire RK series(all DVDs plus OVAs movie).
Gonna be watching cowboy Bebop, and i think RK will be next.
Also, the posts i've read have been really confusing regarding techi. not sure If I'll like it, but that's the great part about netflix. Which should i watch, in what order? Since some appear to not be continuous with the rest.
Well, thanks.
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 5:29 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Tenchi via Netflix:
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60030711&trkid=73 is the original 13 episode OVA. The Tenchi Muyo discussion thread primarily deals with the successor to this series, being released in Japan now.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60030840&trkid=73 is the Tenchi Universe TV series that is more or less an adaptation following the main plot of the first 6 OVA episodes.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=7775192&trkid=73 is the 1st movie, which follows directly from the end of the Tenchi Universe.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=21237344&trkid=73 is the direct sequel to the first movie.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=7773566&trkid=73 is a movie adaptation of one in a series of novels published after the original OVA. It doesn't follow any of the previous storylines and can be viewed anytime after you become familiar with the characters.

JJc is the most outspoken Kenshin expert, but I'd recommend watching through the "Kyoto Arc" of the TV series before touching any of the OVA's (a.k.a. Samurai X).

Last edited by Nobuyuki on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 6:02 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
JJc is the most outspoken Kenshin expert, but I'd recommend watching through the "Kyoto Arc" of the TV series before touching any of the OVA's (a.k.a. Samurai X).

i see i've built quite the reputation...

the ideal order to watch kenshin is exactly what nobu says: watch up to the end of the kyoto arc (episode 62) and then anything else (samurai x: trust/betrayal, samurai x: the motion picture, tv series episodes 63-95, samurai x: reflection) in really whatever order you like/can acquire...

a quick rundown:

Rurouni Kenshin (TV Series) - follows kenshin and co. through mostly random adventures through the "wandering samurai" arc (episodes 1-27), followed by one long and well-liked adventure known as the "kyoto arc" (episodes 28-62)...the remaining episodes have no relation to the manga or the other anime's, so the "tales of the meiji" episodes (63-95) can be watched whenever...

Samurai X: Trust/Betrayal (OVA 1) - takes place during kenshin's past when he was an assassin...the light-hearted feel of the tv series is completely absent here, which reflects the mood of the war he was involved in...this four-episode ova manages to answer some questions presented during the series...

Samurai X: The Motion Picture - takes place in the tv series timeline sometime after the kyoto arc...nothing earth-shattering here, but may be worth seeing if you enjoy the antics of the kenshin group...

Samurai X: Reflection (OVA 2) - a two-episode ova taking place years after the series and reflects the mood of trust/betrayal...beautifully animated, but feels kinda flat since the creator had nothing to do with it...still, there are many that have given it rave reviews, so if you've gotten this far, might as well go for it...

to be truthful, you don't really have to watch it as it's listed...i ended up seeing trust/betrayal and the movie prior to the series, and i thought it flowed fine (except for the movie, as i was completely lost without knowledge of the series)...my only suggestion would be to hold off on reflection until you've gotten past kyoto in the series, as a good chunk of the ova is spent on reviewing the series' most dramatic moments...

hope that helps out...
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 8:58 pm
Stealth_Duck

Post subject:
just 1 question- Are just the original TV series and new OVA series "canon"? I really don't feel like getting myself confused with non-continuous spinoffs. We'll worry about the extra stuff later. Just Finished Bebop, you guys were right, it was great. Next is probably Outlaw Star, then probably TM or RK.
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 1:39 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Stealth_Duck wrote:
just 1 question- Are just the original TV series and new OVA series "canon"? I really don't feel like getting myself confused with non-continuous spinoffs. We'll worry about the extra stuff later.

Which series are you asking about, exactly?
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 7:21 pm
Stealth_Duck

Post subject:
doh. Tenchi. Your specialty. sorry bout that
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 8:46 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
hey if you need any info on Outlaw Star just ask me, cause i have the boxset and i've watched it many times over ^_^.
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ah. I wanted to be sure before answering.

As far as "canon" is concerned, the original 13 Tenchi Muyo! OVA (Series 1 & 2) episodes, the TV show Tenchi Muyo! GXP, (coming in March from FUNimation) and the being-released-in-Japan-now OVA Series 3 are all one story, from the original creator.

Now, the Tenchi Universe line is a separate storyline with no bearing on the OVA's. Those titles include:
Nobuyuki wrote:
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60030840&trkid=73 is the Tenchi Universe TV series that is more or less an adaptation following the main plot of the first 6 OVA episodes.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=7775192&trkid=73, Tenchi Muyo!: In Love is the 1st movie, which follows directly from the end of the Tenchi Universe.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=21237344&trkid=73, Tenchi Forever! is the direct sequel to the first movie.

Quite enjoyable in their own right.
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 10:37 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: