нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Life Updates (2012)
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Life Updates (2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject: Life Updates (2012)
(Yea, counterparadox did this a few years back over here, but this seemed a good excuse for a new topic...)

So in reading the various posts from the past few days, its obvious a lot of us have gone through significant changes since the block (and site's) former heyday. Figure this thread can serve as an update of sorts to find out what we've all done with our lives since then...

Get through college? Dream job? Dream spouse? Still watching cartoons? Brag/vent about what's happened over the years!
PostSun May 20, 2012 8:48 am
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Finished college: check
Got fat: check
Lost weight: check (down 72lbs, 16 to go)

Current plans: Join Airforce while I actually enjoy being in shape. Work in service until I finish my tour, and then work as a civ employee on the bases in the Pacific.
PostSun May 20, 2012 8:58 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Most of my ranting in the previous 'Life Updates' thread was about finding a better job. See, I graduated (again) in 2008 with multiple computer degrees and spent that summer getting a certification, starting the actual job hunt weeks before the economy officially crapped out...

It took two YEARS of job hunting to find something better, and it was one of my alma maters that took me in. I'm currently a server administrator at the college for their technology courses, which requires knowing a little bit about everything we teach: Web design, databases, Internet radio, video streaming, GIS, etc. Exhausting at times, but rewarding as well...

I've been pursuing my Masters degree on-and-off since 2009. Four classes left, and I'm hoping to bang that out before the end of the year...

My love of animation remains, but few of Japan's offerings over the years have caught my eye. My cable provider dropped Cartoon Network in 2009 during the analog-to-digital thing, and surprisingly life went on, so when I had access again a year later, I didn't really care. I haven't had anything beyond basic cable since 2011, and the Toonami April Fool's thing leading into the block's revival has been the first real pang towards getting it back...

As mentioned in Dread's tapes thread, I've been recently going through the movies shown during the "Month of Miyazaki" feature on TCM back in like 2004. LOVED Porco Rosso and enjoyed Whisper of the Heart, so the fire still burns... =)

Now it's up to Cartoon Network (and a revived Infolink community) to bring me back...
PostSun May 20, 2012 9:49 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hmm. Let's do a timeline!

Year 2000: Joined this site at Age 14. 5'6'' 240lb. I was FAT KID! Middle school sucked. I played cello, watched anime, and spent way too much time playing games

Year 2005: Graduated from High School. Worked as a DJ for AsianFanatics Radio. 5'11 180lbs. Lost the weight! Got a girl.

Year 2006: Full-Ride to a private college, ditched the girl (she was NUTS!), ditched the DJ thing. Practiced cello more and got accepted to the symphony orchestra. Spend way too much time studying and not enough watching anime or playing video games. Pretty much stopped posting on TI.

Year 2010: FINALLY graduated from college. Got accepted to Japan Teaching and Exchange Program. Dad died. Gave up spot to go.

Year 2011: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami The epicenter was the town I would have been working in had I gone. Glad I didn't go! Got a new job teaching music. Starting dating the violin teacher. Also started working for a university as a guidance counselor.

Year 2012. Took care of grandma. She passed away. She gave me the house. Bought a car. Proposed to girl. Getting married later this year. Toonami comes back.
PostTue May 29, 2012 4:29 pm
CParadox

Post subject:
I remember this place looking shinier . . .

So uhhhhh Hey. Still can't figure out how to recover the password to my original account. Pretty sure I'm about 5 email addresses past what I used to sign up for these forums 10+ friggen years ago.

Can't believe how many of you guys are coming out of the woodwork either.

Anyway, in brief: graduated college right when the economy decided it hated life, worked at an Apple Store for almost 2 years, finally got a job in my desired industry: TV/Film.

I work for Hasbro, the company that created Mr. Potato Head, GI Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, etc. The company that bought Kenner (and Play Doh, Nerf, and the Star Wars license with it). The company that bought both Parker Brothers AND Milton Bradley. And Wizards of the Coast.

At their home base, they make about 50% of their commercials in-house (I have nothing to do with Transformers Prime or My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic; those are made on the opposite coast). I'm a production assistant. The only PA. My title doesn't say at all what I actually do: I fix things, I maintain a few databases, I create and manage the active data and archives (about 300TB of data, and rising), I bridge gaps of communication between production and post production (since I'm about the only person ACTIVELY trying to know as much as possible about both sides).

And I bought a Red. I own a Red Scarlet-X, a camera capable of creating cinema quality images. There are only about 15,000 Red cameras in existence, and I own one of them. The same brand of camera used on The Hobbit, Prometheus, the next Spiderman, the next 2 Avatars, and many more.

Oh, side-perk: got to meet Peter Cullen AND Seth Green at work one day. The same day. Both are really, really freakin' nice in person. Seth was going around our little studio, curious and excited to see what WE were working on. We were all trying hard not to beg for a job on Robot Chicken >_> You know how in the movies, Optimus' voice kinda reverberates a little bit? Yeah, that's not done by a computer. Peter Cullen just DOES that with his vocal chords.

I do want to say, it's partly because of this forum that I went into TV/Film. I started in college for Engineering. I had a bit of a midlife crisis, thought I wanted to go into animation/TV/film, and spoke with SpookMonkey about it. He told me how tough it can be to get into, and how there are no guarantees. And despite all that, I still felt like I'd be happier going for it than not. I guess I always subconsciously believed that TV and movies were made by little gnomes; people that were born into it. Not real people. Special, magical people.

Now that I'd met some of those "magical" people through work, it's now solidly clear: the only magic is dedication. And anyone can have that.
PostSat Jun 09, 2012 7:05 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
CParadox wrote:
I remember this place looking shinier . . .

So uhhhhh Hey. Still can't figure out how to recover the password to my original account. Pretty sure I'm about 5 email addresses past what I used to sign up for these forums 10+ friggen years ago.

Well, look at the bright side. You now have a chance to get that Obsessor title back and also help revive the board!
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
gfpaperboy22 wrote:
Lost weight: check (down 72lbs, 16 to go)
Zechs wrote:
Year 2000: Joined this site at Age 14. 5'6'' 240lb. I was FAT KID!

Year 2005: 5'11 180lbs. Lost the weight!

Congrats guys! I transitioned from skating to running about two years ago, and along with kicking most high fructose corn syrup (primarily soda) from my diet, dropped about 20 pounds in the process...

(If TWWK is reading this, I still keep Sunkist around, but barely drink one can a week now...)

CParadox wrote:
I do want to say, it's partly because of this forum that I went into TV/Film. I started in college for Engineering. I had a bit of a midlife crisis, thought I wanted to go into animation/TV/film, and spoke with SpookMonkey about it. He told me how tough it can be to get into, and how there are no guarantees. And despite all that, I still felt like I'd be happier going for it than not.

That was a great read CP. Congrats on your successes!
PostFri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
Congrats guys! I transitioned from skating to running about two years ago, and along with kicking most high fructose corn syrup (primarily soda) from my diet, dropped about 20 pounds in the process...

This! This more than anything will immediately see weight loss. Drinking nothing but water and taking green tea pills dropped nearly 20 lbs for me. Also, walking. Before I got my current job, I was unemployed for a long time. During that time, I decided to start walking and by the time I got this temp job, I was doing nearly 8-10 miles a day. I've still got a farmer's tan because of it.
PostSat Jun 16, 2012 11:46 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I don't think the pop makes a big difference to my high carb almost all pasta diet. Confused

As for my life update:
I'm still married to my beautiful wife, just had the 8 year anniversary in Jamaica mon.
Working as a software dev for the same company for 7 years.
As I'm a software dev, I sit on my butt all day for work, and as a geek I sit on my butt the rest of the time for fun. So I'm also fat, good times. Good times.

Anyway, life it is good. Stopped watching anime for the most part though. I'll have to get my mythbox back together for recording it now that toonami is back.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostMon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheWorldWeKnow

Frequenter

Post subject:
Wah! So many of the (now) old folks are still around!

I've been working for a long time now - I was in college when I first came to the boards. I married about six years ago and have two children - a son and daughter.

Of course, I still make time for anime. In fact, I'm not very involved in the aniblogging community.

JJc14 wrote:
(If TWWK is reading this, I still keep Sunkist around, but barely drink one can a week now...)

I'm trying to get off soda, if you can believe that. But my choice of poison is still yummy yummy Sunkist. Razz
PostThu Jun 21, 2012 6:51 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: