нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Ban against sales of M rated games to minors
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Ban against sales of M rated games to minors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Berserk_Fury wrote:
Speaking of drinking ages in the USA. Something confuses me. The army or the navy can put an ak in an 18-year old arms and send you to shoot people, get shot or even get killed in another country when most of the time those people don't even know why they are fighting and who is the real enemy, but 2 years later when you come back home with bullet holes all over your body and you go to a bar, guess what, you are 20 and you can't get a drink. What the hell is up with that. I mean you can get killed fighting someone else's battles, but you can't get a drink at a bar?

It may suck, but remember, they volunteered.

And if the US Army is putting AK-47s into 18-y.o. soldiers' hands, something is seriously wrong. Wink

Quote:
And another thing, the army has a game called "America's Army" This game is free and you can ether get it of their website or order a cd. This game includes blood and shooting other people just like the rest of fps games. But guess what, most of the fps games are rated "M" for over 17, but this game isn't, it is rated "T". I very well understand why it is rated like that. The army has to get young people to joing it. IF someone is 17 or older, they will probably not be affected with how "fun" the war in games is since they could play other war games. If a teen gets this game and his parrents don't buy or let him play "M" rated games, he might get attracted and joing the army when he/she turns 18.

Donald Rumsfeld: "Oh. no! They're on to us!"
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 10:53 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Point the First: Kudos to Nobu for the AK comment.

Point the Second: Bono is right about the media. The news hasnt' tried to report news for as long as I've been alive. They've been trying to drive ratings up. How do you do that? You keep people watching. And how do you do that withe the News? You make them think that everything is gonna kill them and that the only way they cna live is if they keep their eyes glued to YOUR news station. "Can eating too many bananas cause cancer? FIND OUT AT 11!!!!"

Point the Third: Lets not discuss alcohol consumtion here. That's a whole nother thread if you want it. But hte person that starts that thread better have a damn good opening post. And the only people that could really do that are over 21. That leaves Fodder and Nobu. And I doubt they care at this point.

So until someone like me has reason to start it, please, don't start it. Locke has been chomping at the bit to lock some of hte recent threads, but he hasn't been able to . . . stupid loop holes . . .

Point hte Fourth: I'm with KingSpanky on this one. But not for the same reasons. Having a "It doesn't affect me so it's fine" attitude about anything is DANGEROUS. Depending on the issue, that gets people killed or worse.

Fact of the matter is that adult content has never made a game FUN. My #1 favorite game of all time is Bubble Bobble for NES. It stars little cute dinosaurs that blow bubbles out of their mouths to trap enemies, then pop the bubbles and the enemis become food. It's an acid trip and a half of goodness.

So if M and AO rated games make less money, I don't care. Maybe game makers will focus on quality instead of content now . . . (FUCK YOU EA. That's right, I said it. You suck at games.)

But if I don't care about content, then why do I support such a thing? It's not because kids can consiously filter things out between "fake" and "real", its that having a constant barrage of any message makes it seem true. It's sub concisous. If you tell someone, over and over, that Glass is made of Candy, after enough time, they'll really want to lick some glass.

And then the game makers get blamed.

But with something like this, no one is saying the kids CAN'T play the game. It just makes it so some level of adult involvment is there. Someone over a certain age has to somehow get the game to the kid. Now he can't buy it with his birthday money after his 10th birthday party.

And seriously, I don't think a 10 year old kid should be playing GTA:SA.

No, there is no concrete line between when someone "should" and "Shoutl not" access such a thing. But then again, there's no way of telling when someone is mature enough to drive/drink/sign-legal-contracrs/get-married/have-kids-of-their-own.

And there are a lot of people doing a lot of those way before they should. Surely, thou must concede that . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 12:16 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Bubble Bobble was an awesome game...
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 12:34 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:

they'll really want to lick some ass.

There, now its fixed.
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 6:57 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Just a random thought I wanna throw out there, so feel free to tear it apart:

Is any of this really going to be a big deal in another ten years or so? Younger parents right now have themselves grown up in the Atari/Nintendo era, which means more and more of the adult population in the years to come will have experienced video gaming in their childhood years. With more parents understanding video gaming (and some of which probably still doing it), wouldn't this cause a decline in outbursts like the current GTA thing, since more of the adult population would have some idea of what's really happening based on personal experience?

Oh, and just because:
counterparadox wrote:
Lets not discuss alcohol consumtion here. That's a whole nother thread if you want it. But hte person that starts that thread better have a damn good opening post. And the only people that could really do that are over 21. That leaves Fodder and Nobu.

I suppose I have yet to be officially inaugurated into the "22-and-up" club. I'll take it as a compliment though cp... =)
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 7:34 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Point the Third: Lets not discuss alcohol consumtion here. That's a whole nother thread if you want it. But hte person that starts that thread better have a damn good opening post. And the only people that could really do that are over 21. That leaves Fodder and Nobu. And I doubt they care at this point.

I don't care either. I say it's better to have sober soldiers. Let the war survivors drink away their flashbacks for the next 60 years.
Quote:
Point hte Fourth: I'm with KingSpanky on this one. But not for the same reasons. Having a "It doesn't affect me so it's fine" attitude about anything is DANGEROUS. Depending on the issue, that gets people killed or worse.

I am slightly worried that I agree with him. Please let me know if there's reason why I should oppose restricted video game purchasing. I'm sure there has to be one, but I can't find it.
Quote:
Fact of the matter is that adult content has never made a game FUN. My #1 favorite game of all time is Bubble Bobble for NES. It stars little cute dinosaurs that blow bubbles out of their mouths to trap enemies, then pop the bubbles and the enemis become food. It's an acid trip and a half of goodness.

Let me get this straight.
You play a game where the goal is to suffocate, murder, and eventually CONSUME THE CORPSES of a land's native creatures?
You sick bastard. I'm revoking your PeTA membership card.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 1:00 am
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
As long as you're an adult, there isn't a thing wrong with the restrictions.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 2:06 am
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
So nerts to the 16 year olds with parents that don't realize that a mature game isn't going to kill them.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 2:35 am
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
A couple of years more won't kill the kid.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 3:11 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
KingSpanky wrote:
A couple of years more won't kill the kid.

But the kid could go mad with rage and kill his parents.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 9:14 am
Berserk_Fury

Post subject:
Im 15. My parents don't care about the rating of the game. When I say that I want to get this game, they want to know what I can do in there, not what some sticker with a letter shows. For example, they bought me Half Life 2. This game is rated "M", but at the same time they would never buy me GTA SA, and I understand why. I also think that playing SA can do harm. I mean when a 10 year-old walks around in the game killing everyone, doing hit-and-run, and then having oral sex because of the "hot coffee" mod can mess up his mind. If his parents aren't home to tell him that this is wrong, he/she will grow up to do it in real life. Im not saying that this happens to everyone, but that much violence is just stupid. In Half Life 2, you only kill to save yourself and the rest of humanity. I think thats much better because there is actually a reason why you do everything in this game. I mean really, if in there were zombies in real life and one was coming to kill you, what are you supposed to do, give them flowers?
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 9:36 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Berserk_Fury wrote:
I mean really, if in there were zombies in real life and one was coming to kill you, what are you supposed to do, give them flowers?

To be fair, I don't think anyone has ever tried that. Maybe the Zombies just want friends. Ever think of that?

And JJc, I either didn't know, or forgot that you were 3 years older than me. I suppose Doug is about 21 or 22 too, and I have no idea how old Tyler is . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 11:17 am
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Im 16 and GTA has never had issues with the public in my city, everyones parents get them what they want.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 1:29 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Me? I'm currently 20. I've only played GTA 3 and didn't care much for it then.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 5:56 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
So nerts to the 16 year olds with parents that don't realize that a mature game isn't going to kill them.

Yes.

Because it's their kid, and they're supposed to decide how best to raise them.
And as long as there isn't any abuse involved in the childrearing, the parents are perfectly within their rights to restrict their children's activities as they see fit. At least they'd be playing an active role.

And not letting them play the latest GTA game doesn't qualify as abuse. Wink

I like Berserk Fury's parents. I wish more got involved like that.
PostSun Jul 31, 2005 6:08 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: