нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Time for a Reboot?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Time for a Reboot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Site/Forum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject: Time for a Reboot?
Alright, so Toonami is coming back. Does that mean Infolink is back too? Surely, TDA will be updated with Fresh promos, but this forum is....sorta obsolete.

1. Our code is old and decrepit.

2. There are plenty of new forums where active discussion are already taking place

3. Our core community has gone on to greener pastures. Like me. I'm engaged now. Holy crap.

So, you think we should relaunch Infolink? I think so. Perhaps start with updating the code and do some spring cleaning on the interface? Let's see if we can force Tyler to care.

For my part, I've gone ahead and unstuck a bunch of ancient threads so new ones can rise to the top. Want to help? Start posting. If every forum can have at least three new active threads I'd consider this place back from the dead.
PostWed May 16, 2012 9:40 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
In a day and age where people share via facebook and reddit, its hard to keep an active community on a forum. That said, we'll probably start getting more people here once toonami begins airing again. Might need to start water marking the videos though. Its quite obvious where the youtube copies came from.
PostWed May 16, 2012 9:59 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Time for a Reboot?
Zechs wrote:
I'm engaged now. Holy crap.

Indeed. And congrats! Cool
Or rather:

Quote:
In a day and age where people share via facebook and reddit, its hard to keep an active community on a forum.

This is true, I'm still here to keep the place somewhat livable, and also because I have no use for either of the aforementioned services. Razz

This place definitely could use more than a fresh coat of paint.
PostWed May 16, 2012 11:00 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah, we need to fix up this place. TI looks and feels very Internet 1.0. Times have changed, and we badly need to catch up.

Also, it looks like we'll be seeing a new TOM from AS' teaser page, and we'll have to prepare our news icons, banner, etc. for whatever new look they may have planned for us.
PostWed May 16, 2012 11:20 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Well, thankfully, it seems to be rendering on my Droid just fine which is nice considering the age of the site and that it was never meant to work for portable phones.
PostWed May 16, 2012 11:28 pm
Alshoff

Post subject:
gfpaperboy22 wrote:
In a day and age where people share via facebook and reddit, its hard to keep an active community on a forum. That said, we'll probably start getting more people here once toonami begins airing again. Might need to start water marking the videos though. Its quite obvious where the youtube copies came from.

Watermarking would destroy the inherent value of the clips. Putting watermarks on new clips doesn't make much sense because lots of people have DVRs now and YouTube provides free video hosting. The Arsenal was the only one doing it back when hosting videos cost money.

Anyway, the Infolink should switch to a telnet BBS system. That should keep the unwashed masses and spambots at bay.
PostThu May 17, 2012 3:17 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Hmmm, perhaps the watermark would be too much. Credit would be nice but knowing that people are still coming to the site will suffice.
PostThu May 17, 2012 5:11 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Nobuyuki wrote:

You still had that!? I must have made that in like sophomore year of HS.
PostFri May 18, 2012 11:24 am
goku262002

Post subject:
I mean most of our community died because Toonami died. Maybe the admins here should mass email our old community and let them know if they haven't heard yet that Toonami is back. That should draw some people back just for nostalgia alone.

As for drawing newer members, were gonna have to adapt to times. get ourselves on the facebooks, twitters, and youtubes! and get an updated PHPBB version. maybe some of us can go over to Toonami Aftermath and see if anyone there wants to join.

We can come back, but its gonna be tough.
PostFri May 18, 2012 7:49 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
gfpaperboy22 wrote:
Might need to start water marking the videos though. Its quite obvious where the youtube copies came from.

Two problems with that:

1) Watermarks are distracting and annoying.
2) There's nothing quite like putting a logo over someone else's copyrighted content, especially when they're owned by one of the world's largest corporations.
PostSat May 19, 2012 12:31 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Zechs wrote:
You still had that!? I must have made that in like sophomore year of HS.

What can I say...it's in my nature. Wink
PostSat May 19, 2012 3:55 am
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
gfpaperboy22 wrote:
Might need to start water marking the videos though. Its quite obvious where the youtube copies came from.

Two problems with that:

1) Watermarks are distracting and annoying.
2) There's nothing quite like putting a logo over someone else's copyrighted content, especially when they're owned by one of the world's largest corporations.

1. What I was originally thinking was a clear or nearly transparent, small TDA in a corner. Somewhere that wouldn't be obnoxious or distracting. I've dealt with others who have put watermarks like this in the center of the screen or had their logo plastered all over the medium, which is something i've always hated. But I figured there could be a way to get it marked without detracting from the content.
2. This is too good an argument (damn you and your trump card), so I withdraw my defense.
PostSat May 19, 2012 7:23 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm curious to know if video downloads today are anywhere near the same level they were in TDA's heyday. I guess ASF could be used as a barometer for this sort of thing. Beefy or Tyler, is there any way to do this comparison?

The only reason I bring it up is I'm not sure if a video download site in the year 2012 is enough to support a community for this sort of revival all by itself. Perhaps a collaboration with other sites into one unified board is worth considering?
PostTue May 22, 2012 7:56 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
The only reason I bring it up is I'm not sure if a video download site in the year 2012 is enough to support a community for this sort of revival all by itself. Perhaps a collaboration with other sites into one unified board is worth considering?

One thing I believe TDA and ASF should do is create a player for streaming, or use one of the many existing ones (i.e. YouTube). While downloading a video may be nice, we also have to deal with waiting for the download to finish, then play it on our Desktop. The Internet has come to the point where we want to watch our videos now instead of wait. (Does anyone REALLY want to wait for a 10- or 30-second clip, anyway?)

BumpWorthy has allowed streaming for years while the other two sources for Williams Street goodness are lagging behind. We seriously need to catch up.
PostTue May 22, 2012 8:35 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
TDA used to do progressive-download (streaming) of videos. It worked pretty well. People would come and "watch TDA". The problem there was that people would leech our bandwidth like crazy doing that. Forcing downloads helped tremendously.

If I were to be adventurous, I'd figure out how to bring that back, auto-detecting both file format and browser used, to present it using either QuickTime Plugin, Flash, or HTML 5. Maybe after the big rush next week (and my other projects settle down too)...

The TDA network is hosted on an unmetered 10mbit connection. Works great almost all the time. During April Fools, we were pushing 30mbit somehow. It was a miracle, since without that lapse in data cap, the site would've been a wreck.
Saturday's packaging content will be posted sometime on Sunday. I'll have new stuff online tomorrow with a big ol' note to have people WATCH IT ON TV. Adult Swim needs this to go over well.

No watermarks.
I considered them 10 years ago, but they're tacky. It's not our content. TDA is an archive for others to use. I'd prefer TDA to be given credit when uploaded elsewhere, but I can't enforce it.
And honestly, YouTube is much better at hosting video than an ancient website anyway. And there's some really cool stuff out there, like HD re-edits of landmark Toonami intros/promos with BluRay sourcing. TDA video is used to fill in the pieces.
PostWed May 23, 2012 9:03 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Site/Forum Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: