нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Linux -WTF AM I DOING?!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Linux -WTF AM I DOING?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject: Linux -WTF AM I DOING?!
Here's an interesting thread.

This may need to go into the computer help thread, but I didn't see it on the main board, meaning it's either buried or gone.

Anyway, here's the question/problem:

I'm currently building a server for the first time. As many of you know, I recently built my 2nd full computer (and a very nice computer it is too!) based on an Intel P4 and Windows XP Prof. This server, in order to increase my knowlege about stuff in general, is being built on an AMD XP processor and (hopefully) Linux.

Here lies the problem: I'VE NEVER USED LINUX IN MY ENTIRE LIFETIME.

I have no idea which flavor to get, how to do an install, or even if it can run some Windows applications. I have no clue about anything. I am truely a prime example of a clueless n00b. If anyone with more computer experience than me (which would be the majority of people on this board) could clue me in to some of the basics of Linux, perhaps providing links to websites, I would be enternally grateful. Oh, I'll also post pictures of the server when I get it built along with pictures of my Biohazard I built a few months ago.

Thanks in advance.
PostWed Jan 01, 2003 3:23 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I like the linux penguin ^_^
PostWed Jan 01, 2003 4:27 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
I like the linux penguin ^_^

Thanks for your oh-so-valuable input.

Shin, I'm a Linux n00b myself, but have you tried here? They have explanations of the various flavors, and tutorials to help you get started.
PostWed Jan 01, 2003 3:42 pm
stFalcon5

Frequenter

Post subject:
Linux will only provide you with frustration that you yourself will be to blame for.

Essentially, when you download a Linux OS, you get a bunch of land for a museum. It's up to you to build it from the ground up (with plumbing you cheap bastard!), make the art, make and manage the ticket booth, and constantly make sure that your best repeat customer art critics haven't clogged the men's toilet. If that doesn't sound daunting at all, go for it.

Servers are something which have been refined. If this is your first server, learn basic management with something simple, even if it is a Windows one.
PostWed Jan 01, 2003 4:32 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Running Linux (or a UNIX-variant) fulltime is the last step towards computing enlightenment.

You can't just step into administration.
First, you must be a luser. A newbie in the *NIX world.
Second, you must be a user. Knowledgable, and smart enough not to shoot yourself in the foot with a "rm -rf *" command.

After that, you must choose your own path.

The best way to get into UNIX/Linux is with Mac OS X. Seriously.
I say this because it's true and I did it. Not because I work for Apple. You get a nice GUI, and lots of "training frontends" for UNIX programs that will help you move up to full command line work while keeping familiar programs like IE and Office.
PostWed Jan 01, 2003 8:29 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
What about Mandrake/Red Hat? They're easy to use, and I think cheaper.
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 12:43 am
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
SHouldn't Linux be free?
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 10:10 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Linux is free.
Time and support isn't.
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 11:05 pm
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject:
After listening to this debate and figuring the cost of materials, I'm going to choose to go ahead with a retail version of Linux, probably a version of Red Hat. In addition, I'm going to dual boot it with Windows XP. From what I can figure and from what I've read, Red Hat has a pretty stable GUI I can get used to. In addition, I've found the wonderful www.linuxnewbie.org . Happy me. Perhaps this is the start of something totally sweet. Or not.

Wish me luck people. I'll probably need it as I liz-earn. Thanks for all the responses, esecially Tyler. I appreciate your learned opinion, j0.
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 4:03 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Every standard Linux distro will come with both Gnome and KDE.
The main difference between all the distros are what packages come preinstalled.
You'll have more program dependencies preinstalled with a fatter distro. That's good for newbies.
RedHat's probably the best (that or Debian for reasons I can't think of) to start off with since it's the most commonly used, and chances are developers are using it too.
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 12:20 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: