нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Intel CEO: "The World Is Not Enough"... :P
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Intel CEO: "The World Is Not Enough"... :P
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
I already know.
...and I won't be working until Saturday. I can understand the reasoning of the more reasonable idiots.

"Why should I buy a Mac now if they're gonna be running Windows next year?"

"Why should I buy a Mac now if there's gonna be no software for it next year?"

"...so you're going to be selling PCs now?"

"WTF I JSUT BAWT A MAC AND NOW ITS OBSALEET!!!!111 U BUTTSHITS ARGH I GO BUY DELL."

[shudder]

I sent in some sample questions and answers to use as canned-responses to these types of questions:

Quote:
Q: What will the transition mean when I want to upgrade my current Mac to a new Intel-based Mac? Will I have to buy all-new software? What will happen to my investment?
A: Apple is doing everything possible to make the switch from PowerPC to Intel as seamless as possible. Moving from an existing Mac to an Intel Mac will be just as easy as moving from a G4 to a G5 Mac. Your current Mac OS X applications will continue to run on the newer Mac, and many programs will be updated to take advantage of the change in architecture.

Q: Does this mean the Mac I just purchased is obsolete?
A: Not at all. Apple will continue to support (and manufacture) PowerPC-based Macs for the foreseeable future. Currently, the PowerMac G3 from 1999 is still able to run Apple's newest operating system even though the hardware used is over 6 years old. Apple will continue to support its current machines throughout their lifetimes.

Q: Why would I want to buy a Mac now if they will be switching to PCs?
A: The face of Mac OS X will not change, nor will Apple's legendary harmony between its hardware and software. The engine is changing from IBM to Intel, but the rest of the future machines will still reflect Apple's ease of use.

Q: Does this mean Macs will run Windows?
A: No. There will be no outward changes to how future Macs operate. A user will be able to sit at a Intel-based Mac and work identically as with a PowerPC-based Mac.

PostWed Jun 08, 2005 6:20 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ok, I have a question. See, I never suspected that switching the processor would mean that you would need to change all the software. So why is this assumption made?

Second, are the Intel processors better than the processors that Appls is using now? I don't know any of the specs for hte Mac processors and haven't seen a direct comparison. I have seen direct comparisons between AMD and Intel, and usually AMD comes out ahead. WAY ahead if you factor in price (Slightly better performance for less than half the cost, anyone?) So yeah, does this switch actually affect anything other than people saying "OH! Intel! I know them! They've got all them thar giga hetrzes! Macs must be better now . . . "?

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jun 08, 2005 10:46 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Here's another question for ya:

Although it's probably too early to tell, will the Intel Macs cost less, the same, or more than the current PPC Macs?

One would think that since Intel = large CPU manufacturer, there will be more than enough CPUs, which would make the price lower than what Macs cost now, but you never know.
PostWed Jun 08, 2005 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Ok, I have a question. See, I never suspected that switching the processor would mean that you would need to change all the software. So why is this assumption made?

Second, are the Intel processors better than the processors that Appls is using now? I don't know any of the specs for hte Mac processors and haven't seen a direct comparison. I have seen direct comparisons between AMD and Intel, and usually AMD comes out ahead. WAY ahead if you factor in price (Slightly better performance for less than half the cost, anyone?) So yeah, does this switch actually affect anything other than people saying "OH! Intel! I know them! They've got all them thar giga hetrzes! Macs must be better now . . . "?

Most Mac users know damn well that the Mac doesn't run Windows software, and Windows runs on x86 PCs. x86 = Windows to a lot of people. Also, Apple would be pretty screwed if they didn't have that binary translator to convert PPC to x86 code.

Apple's reasoning behind using Intel (based on what I understand) instead of AMD is partially name recognition, partially future processor plans.
Apple knows the upcoming Pentium D and M processors rock hard, both in speed and power consumption. The Opterons and their ilk didn't have the future that Apple was looking for.
Price may be a concern, but keep in mind Apple's not buying retail processors one-by-one. They're buying in bulk.
PostWed Jun 08, 2005 1:56 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Thanks, but that still doesn't tell me if the Pentiums will be BETTER or EQUAL TO or WORSE than that Apple is using currently. There's a high possibility that the next computer I buy (most likely 3 years from now) will be a Mac, so I want to know now what kind of move they're making.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jun 08, 2005 2:37 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
If Apple were to move from G4/G5s to Pentium 4 chips TODAY, it'd be a dumb move.

...but Apple seed the G5 stagnating (more than it already has), and Intel doing fine, especially with their new chip lines.

Basically, if you're buying an iMac G5 now, good deal.
But if you were to buy an iMac G5 in a year or two, it would be pretty shitty compared to the Intel side.

Apple's not going to use the Pentium 4. (devkit doesn't count)
They'll be using the Pentium D for desktops and Pentium M for laptops and Mac mini.
PostWed Jun 08, 2005 2:59 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dell corrects what Apple does wrong.
PostSat May 20, 2006 4:31 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Apple's decision of Intel over AMD was not based on Intel's merits of June 2005, nor on Intel's flagship products of the first half of 2006.

When you're a company making one of the biggest decisions since "Be vs. NT vs. NeXT", you look at more than what's currently on the table.
Apple looked long and hard at the roadmaps for both AMD and Intel and saw that Intel was heading in the right direction. Intel's last 10 years were not the "right direction".

The Intel Core line is the first step towards what Apple was looking for. Low-power processors tuned for good performance. Benchmarks show that the Core Duo can hold its own against AMD's finest.
That's not what's impressive.
What's impressive is that this is Intel's notebook processor.

The desktop version ships in a few months. Initial benchmarks have it crushing AMD's finest. Reports also mention that AMD's next generation is nothing more than an incremental upgrade.

...I should also mention that Dell's move is only for high-end servers, and many many months away.
PostSun May 21, 2006 12:36 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: