нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Official Naruto Talkback
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Official Naruto Talkback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackfrost

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
Hey jackfrost, it's obvious that you're going to stick to your opinion and, as such, run into further conflict with many of us over what we all think of the series. However, unlike the typical "all dubs suck" mentality that I flat-out disagree with, I noticed this in one of your earlier posts:

jackfrost, with the bolded part emphasized by JJc14, wrote:
I'd just like the dubbing on Naruto, one of the most popular cartoons in the world, to be done DECENTLY. It's NOT 1989 anymore. There's no excuse for the poor job done on this series when numerous American dubs on Cartoon Network (from Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha to Full Metal Alchemist and Dragonball Z) have been done well over the past several years.

Would you mind taking a moment and tell us what makes these particular dubs passable in your eyes (er, ears I suppose...)? Especially in the case of Inuyasha, because that's one show that I've heard some very scathing commentary on by those who swear by the sub.

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but it might help clarify to the community why it is you feel so adamantly against Naruto's English dub thus far...

The sub on Inuyasha is fine, but the reason I like the English dub (as well as on the other dubs I mentioned) is because the voice actors SHOW passion and emotion in their portrayals. When Inuyasha is angry, you can hear it in his voice. When Kagome is sad, pissed off or whining for whatever reason, it shows in the actress's delivery. It doesn't sound like they're just reading off a script, regardless of what's happening on screen. They're putting enough effort into their roles that the characters come alive, you forget it's a dub and enjoy the cartoon as a whole, as good voice actors do.

Plus, all of the characters sound very distinctive. Kouga DOESN'T sound like Inuyasha or Miroku, Inuyasha sounds nothing like his brother Sesshomaru or Naraku, and Kagome's voice can't be easily mistaken for her double Kikyo's or Sango's. This has been true from the first episode, and even with your eyes closed it's fairly easy to tell who the various players are, just based on their voices.

The above is NOT true for Naruto. Iruka gets impaled in the back by a giant shuriken protecting Naruto, bawling his eyes out as he's protecting the kid with his own body and apologizing for not being there enough for Naruto in the past, but you'd NEVER know it from listening to his voice! The guy sounds bored, or at least indifferent to what's going on in the scene and the words he's saying. It's one of the most emotional parts in the show and it just dies, simply because the actor voicing Iruka didn't have the talent or desire to make it sound convincing.

If someone gets stabbed in the back and is crying uncontrollably on screen, it should be REFLECTED in their voices, otherwise it destroys the illusion that helps make good animation! It takes more than pretty pictures... equally important is sound: music and voices that set the mood, pacing and help convince the audience that what they're seeing is — on some level — believable. What we got in this dub was terrible. Not enough emotion and too many characters sound too much alike.

Plus, with Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop (to name a few), they kept at least PART of the opening or closing sequences. Not only does it sound FAR better than the terrible mangled rap/rock music American distributors replace it with, but it shows some respect and appreciation for the original animators' work, while exposing American audiences to animation and music they would otherwise never see or hear. I appreciate that.
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 5:56 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Can you stop arguing already, you already lost.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 6:26 pm
nightwing77

Post subject:
Is Naruto gonna be playing any other times besides saturdays?
"NIGHTWING. HE IS THE BEST. THE ONLY ONE I COULD HAVE PICKED TO LEAD YOU. HE WILL HONOR YOU. HE WILL MAKE YOU CHAMPIONS. That's it. That's the speech. Get to work Justice League. The world needs you." -Batman "The Obsidian Age"
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 6:38 pm
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
I believe it airs tonight at 12:30 AM (technically Saturday morning at 12:30 AM).
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 6:45 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:
Can you stop arguing already, you already lost.

I think we're past arguing at this point, we're getting into actual discussions now. (IOW, moving from Stage 2 to Stage 3 Wink )
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 6:57 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:

Plus, with Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop (to name a few), they kept at least PART of the opening or closing sequences. Not only does it sound FAR better than the terrible mangled rap/rock music American distributors replace it with, but it shows some respect and appreciation for the original animators' work, while exposing American audiences to animation and music they would otherwise never see or hear. I appreciate that.

Thats a liscensing issue.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Japanese music artists dont have licences here.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 8:53 pm
jackfrost

Post subject:
nobuyuki wrote:
I think we're past arguing at this point, we're getting into actual discussions now. (IOW, moving from Stage 2 to Stage 3 Wink)

I'm not angry that Naruto is being licensed — I always knew it would be eventually. I just hoped (and expected) they'd do a much better job when it finally happened.

dougisfunny wrote:
jackfrost wrote:

Thats a liscensing issue.

If so, then they can at least use some of the show's music they DO have rights to and not just mangle the first few moments of the show by slapping on bad in-house rock/rap music to the opening sequence. It not only sounds bad, it's plain lazy and smacks of the attitude "Just get it done."
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 9:05 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:
Japanese music artists dont have licences here.

The music is licensed by a Japanese company. If a US company wants to use it they have to get permission from the people who own the music. If they didn't do that it would be stealing, and stealing is bad m'kay?

jackfrost wrote:
If so, then they can at least use some of the show's music they DO have rights to and not just mangle the first few moments of the show by slapping on bad in-house rock/rap music to the opening sequence. It not only sounds bad, it's plain lazy and smacks of the attitude "Just get it done."

So what they made some crappy OP and ED? I really don't see the big deal about it. I'm not watching a show just for it's OP or ED....
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 9:45 pm
Laughingman

Post subject:
Gundam0084 wrote:
I believe it airs tonight at 12:30 AM (technically Saturday morning at 12:30 AM).

Don't you think CN is going a bit overboard with Naruto, I thought they weren't alllowed to air TV PG shows in the middle of the day?
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 10:59 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Sorry sparky, you're think of 12:30PM
PostSat Sep 17, 2005 12:15 am
JKyle

Veteran

Post subject:
I actually found the original opening theme for the US version pretty catchy.

And hey, at least it isn't a rap theme right?

Or repeating the same THREE WORDS over and over...
PostSat Sep 17, 2005 7:33 pm
Laughingman

Post subject:
Kakashi's voice was dead on, all is not lost. Actually with the exception of the kiss everything was fine, the voices fit the character and there was only one major edit.
PostSat Sep 17, 2005 9:13 pm
jackfrost

Post subject:
Laughingman wrote:
Kakashi's voice was dead on, all is not lost. Actually with the exception of the kiss everything was fine, the voices fit the character and there was only one major edit.

Kakashi's voice sounds almost the same as Sasuke's, Iruka's and Mizuki's. Are they quadruplets or voiced by the same actor??? Where's the variety and uniqueness? How can four so totally different characters in age, temperment and personality sound so much alike???

The dubbing on this show is incredibly weak and leaves A LOT to be desired.
PostSat Sep 17, 2005 11:56 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Then become a VA and shut up. I'm just as tired of hearing the same voices used in every anime dubbed in the US. Problem is, the US lacks talented VA's. If you are tired of it, then do something damn it. If not, then STFU.
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 1:11 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 8 of 26

Jump to: