нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - "Wanna-be" Anime
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
"Wanna-be" Anime
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aron

Post subject: "Wanna-be" Anime
Incase your confused about what I mean when I say "wanna-be" anime, I basically mean American shows that try to look and feel like your watching an actual anime(EX: Teen Titans, Totally Spies, etc.). But it has come to my attention that alot of my otaku friends are starting to become confused but whats "real" anime and what isnt. I'm not here to diss people who like these shows, but I just don't like these kind of shows. Sorry Toonami faithful, but thats just how I feel. If its not "real" anime, then I don't support it. If its American, then please keep it American. Don't do hybrids please( and I'm not talking about video games, just animation). Thank You!

How do you all feel about "wanna-be" anime?
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 2:57 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: "Wanna-be" Anime
Aron wrote:
How do you all feel about "wanna-be" anime?

Who gives a shit where it's from? Anime = animation= cartoons.
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 3:26 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
you've defined "wanna-be anime", yet i don't know what you mean by "real anime"...could you give me a rough definition and a few examples to help clarify?
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 3:27 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
I don't think the problem is with the _show_ being a "wannabe"... Wink
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 3:58 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Actually, I'd rather have american cartoonist adopt the japanese animation style. The last show I watched that was purely american was Spiderman on Fox back when I was in 3rd grade. Those kinda shows often had low budgets, reused the same sequences over and over, and didn't bother smoothing out the animation.

And to be honest, shows like Teen Titans and Totally Spies aren't even really anime. Anime in general defines any animation from japan. So even though they look like anime, it isn't. Teen Titans could qualify as both seeing as how its aired both in Japan and in the US. (Hence the Japanese intro).
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 9:35 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Aron wrote:
otaku friends

...And it's right there that you invalidated any support for your argument.

Industry runs on what people want. Pokemon, Yugioh, and Dragonball (to name a few) have all had rather large followings at various times in the last few years. These three series all happen to be Japanese in origin. Thus, it would seem that people want Japanese-style cartoons. That leads to animation that borrows from the Japanese style. If it makes money, and not at the expense of taking away from the creator's intent (not a problem with Teen Titans and Totally Spies), then it fits in just fine with the "American Way", and is as American as the telephone and Mormonism (if either of those two things originated somewhere else, it would be interesting to know where).

...And that's where babies come from and why nobody is born an otaku.
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 9:46 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Nobuyuki wrote:

Who gives a shit where it's from? Anime = animation= cartoons.

Ooh! Nobu said a swear!
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 2:39 am
Alshoff

Post subject:
If you're dissing ExoSquad, I'm gonna have to turn your skull into an ashtray.
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 2:40 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
Ooh! Nobu said a swear!

It's not like it's the first time... think of it as "channeling my inner Spookmonkey" Wink
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 3:40 am
Aron

Post subject:
you've defined "wanna-be anime", yet i don't know what you mean by "real anime"...could you give me a rough definition and a few examples to help clarify?

sorry about that. When I mean "real anime" I basically mean animation straight from Japan, but now it is also being applied to Korean animation as well. But I basiclly mean animation straight from Japan, like Dragonball, Gundam, Pokemon.
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 2:07 pm
Aron

DC comics just went a little to far with teen titans though. Think about this. Yes, Japanese animation is definetly by far more popular here in the North American continent then it has ever been. And DC comics has tried to capitalize on the anime invasion by hiring professional manga artists to draw some of their comic book heroes in hopes of making money. However, its not working to good. Now they're trying it again with Teen Titans. Not only have they switch the animation to feel more like a Japanese cartoon but they have also got a real Japanese music group to do the theme song for it and sometimes they sing it in Japanese. Whats worse is that they place one of their comic book characters into it and try to pose him off as an anime character. Sorry, but the show is "wanna-be" because its trying to be something it can't be and i'm kinda dissappointed that otakus are now calling this show their new #1 anime when in fact its origins are American. You can call it anime inspired, but its just a nicer way of calling it a "wanna-be" anime.
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 2:53 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
yeah I totally agree, I don't like any of that crossover crap, Like that one show, Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi. It looks so like the american crap. Or Yeah teen titans is crap even though the story and animation are pretty good.

I want them to bring back the good stuff, the show like Hamtaro that was great. I mean it was japanese and like had those great little hamsters and stuff. Or pokemon. Now that had great acting, especially since it was made soley to sell toys. I can't wait to see the latest movie that was made to market the latest round of toys and TCG. I even heard it had the same plot as the four movies before it.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 4:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
FACT: Anime is a FRENCH word which means 'cartoon'. It has come to mean Japanese animation, but, meh, that's the origin.

FACT: BOTH SIDES OF THE OCEAN make crap and non-crap. Crap knows no boundaries.

We are not defending 'wannabe anime'. Anything that wants to be something else sucks. It's why I didn't like the pilot episode of American Dad: it felt like it was trying too hard to be the next Family Guy.

But here's the thing. A lot of Japanese cartoons have had some really great action scenes. A good director will reinvent the wheel. A great director will take other people's wheels and make the awesomest car ever. Take Quentin Tarantino. He has no style of his own. All he does is mimick directors that he likes.

So yes, a lot of AMerican shows have some Japanese elements. But they aren't trying to be anime, they are trying to be better.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 4:58 pm
AngelHedgie

AdmiralGreer wrote:
Aron wrote:
otaku friends

...And it's right there that you invalidated any support for your argument.

Amen, brother. It's funny how little many "otaku" know about the anime industry in Japan, and how willfully ignorant they want to be. It's made me think of visiting Otacon with a truck of napalm several times...

(And on a personal note, I detest the usage of "otaku" by anime fans in the US - I find it insulting to those who suffer from mental illness (and yes, Virginia, in Japan, an otaku is someone who is mentally ill.) )

AdmiralGreer wrote:
...And that's where babies come from and why nobody is born an otaku.

Well, I think that is due to natural selection more than anything else, Admiral.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 5:47 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I can recall writing a long winded rant on this subject recently so I'm not going to reiterate anything.

Simply put. Shut up, no one wants to hear your bitching.

Thank you and good night.
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 5:58 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: