нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Ask the Krogoth... again!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Ask the Krogoth... again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject: Ask the Krogoth... again!
Dear Krogoth,
Why do we get nervous when we stand up in front of a crowd of people. I can't for the life of me come up with a reasonable explanation for this.
PostTue May 18, 2004 11:38 am
Ixidor

Veteran

Post subject:
Dear Krogoth... Why do I need to save the world? and where do I do it?
PostTue May 18, 2004 4:50 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
YAY! I LOVE THIS THREAD!

And I do believe I have a plausible answer.

See, let's say we're living back in tribal times. There's a tribe. You discover how to make a knot in a vine. After a few months you discover that a series of knots and vines can make a net. After trying to eat the net, and failing, you get tangled and realize the fabulous use of the net.

Now, you go to explain the net to the others in the tribe. Everyone gathers around.

You go to explain it, and your fingers fumble, and you fail. Because you now look like a complete reject from the gene pool, no girl will mate you, and so no one will bear your children. Thus, because you looked like a goof, your genes DIE with you.

This fear makes you worried about doing something stupid in front of others. As such, you freeze up if you are unsure of yourself, so that you don't actually DO anything stupid in front of others.

The irony is that now that we have a spoken language and various cultural aspects to our lives and mentalities and such, NOT doing anything or NOT saying anything is either as bad or worse than doing something stupid.

Thus, the protective reflexe is as harmful as it is helpful.

Notice how confident people don't get stuck in their speech in front of a crowd. They know they look cool, even if they don't. This knowing means that they KNOW their performance will get them more mates, and so they have no reflex of nervousness.

That's my explanation at least.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostTue May 18, 2004 4:50 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think you get nervous because skills are required. Unforutnately, the human body doesn't have many mechanisms to deal with stressful situations. Pretty much all it can do is pump epinephrine or something similar into the bloodstream. Often, this is helpful.

However, once humans developed a societal structure, new situations were discovered (or created, depending on your point of view). Many of these social pressures are not helped at all by an adrenaline rush. The trouble is, how can you chemically tell the difference between a trial administered by peers and one involving a hungry brute with large teeth?

This is where I disagree with CP: This is not a case of evolution, but rather a lack of evolution. It is evident that this problem can be easily worked around by practice and repeated exposure, or at least masked by consciousness. I don't think that finding a mate has often been dependent upon a single instance of public speaking. True, if people don't ever get it right, their chances are lessened a bit. That could be part of why most everyone nowadays can overcome this with practice. As long as they can eventually be cool under fire, things have a pretty good chance of working out.
PostTue May 18, 2004 11:26 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dear Krogoth;
Let's say - hypothetically, of course - that I have these two friends. These two friends were, for a while, having a gradual falling out together. One Person A, you see, got a girlfriend, and B started chasing after girls himself (unsuccessfully at that). The girlfriend of A thought less of B because his romantic interest didn't continue to pursue romantic involvement with a friend of hers, only because she declined any romantic offers (fancy that--a girl says no, and the guy listens). Person B himself had been acting more the jerk recently anyhow.
Now let's say there was an incident of straw breaking back of camel, and now these two won't even talk to eachother anymore. And let's say that I really like both of these friends and wish we could be a team again, what should I do (hypothetically speaking, of course). Should fantastic plots be concocted, dark secrets revealed, and cliche whackiness ensue?
I await your answer,
An alienated Satchmo.

Post edited for clarity.

Last edited by John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo on Thu May 20, 2004 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostWed May 19, 2004 12:16 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Bono, next time you make an ambiguous post, use Person A and Person Irk rather than former and latter . . . . ugh.

I think all parties need to get over it. First, Girlfriend is a meddler. I despise meddlers. Let things work out for themselves unless SPECIFIC help is ASKED for. So she's a meddler and needs to be put in her place.

Second, Latter Guy, Here on out refered to as Girlless. He seems to be following his heart or gut. Which means he's doing what he knows he should be. He shouldn't be given a hard time about it. On the other side of the coin, however, if he still wants this girl, he shouldn't give up. Stalk her? No. But just give up? Not if she's worth the effort.

Lastly, Former guy. Seems to me that former guy has done nothing yet. Former guy needs to stop Girl from meddling, and make sure Girlless is following the path that he most desires.

Aside from that, they all need to stop fussing quite so much, it isn't nearly important enough to ruin friendships or 'teams' over.

And if I had more itme I'd reply to Krogoth's reply to my previous post. Later I shall.

PostWed May 19, 2004 5:09 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
You seem to have reasonable grasp on the situation (although the 'meddler' isn't one my intent, she just doesn't like guy B becasue he listened when the other girl told him no).
Anyway, the last straw was mostly person B's fault, almost entirely (in his defense, person A did provoke him).
PostWed May 19, 2004 7:56 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
You seem to have reasonable grasp on the situation (although the 'meddler' isn't one my intent, she just doesn't like guy B becasue he listened when the other girl told him no).

That's HIS decision to make!

Quote:
Anyway, the last straw was mostly person B's fault, almost entirely (in his defense, person A did provoke him).

Then they should each grow up, fess up to what they did, and make up. Grudges are a pointless waste of energy.

PostWed May 19, 2004 9:20 pm
Tabal

Post subject:
What would happen if you launched two objects at each other at the speed of light?
PostThu May 20, 2004 9:37 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Tabal wrote:
What would happen if you launched two objects at each other at the speed of light?

Your poor aim would cause them to miss, you fool.
PostThu May 20, 2004 10:07 am
Alshoff

Post subject:
In the movie Demolition Man, what are the effects on the security of a society when free will is removed? Is the removal of free will worth extra security? Explain using utilitarianism and deontology, including the definition of those two concepts.
PostThu May 20, 2004 3:43 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Force-Attuned_Krogoth wrote:

This is where I disagree with CP: This is not a case of evolution, but rather a lack of evolution.

My favorite self-made quote is You can't undo 4 millions years of evolution in 4 thousand years of civilization. So you do not disagree with me. That's really all I need to say on that matter.

Alshoff wrote:
In the movie Demolition Man, what are the effects on the security of a society when free will is removed? Is the removal of free will worth extra security? Explain using utilitarianism and deontology, including the definition of those two concepts.

This isn't a Do My Psych Homework thread . . . Rolling Eyes

Question: Why is it considered 'fun' to annoy certain people? Why can it be enjoyable to piss people off in the right situation?

PostThu May 20, 2004 4:13 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
because some people get so cute when they're angry
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostThu May 20, 2004 5:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject:
Dear Krogath,

Who rocks the party that rocks the party?
PostThu May 20, 2004 6:22 pm
Alshoff

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:

Alshoff wrote:

This isn't a Do My Psych Homework thread . . . Rolling Eyes

Not homework. This was a question on a final test. Get it right and you get the glory of... of... having watched Demolition Man.
PostFri May 21, 2004 8:38 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: