нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Gaming Discussion
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Gaming Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, yes and no, Xwingfreak.

See, if you have a computer from, say, 1998, and its the only computer you have, and your whole family uses it, and lets just say, hypothetically, that Windows SUCKS and crashes every time you leave the computer on for over 5 hours, well, I think a console is better.

Add to that that everytime you pop in Diablo II theres a 50% chance that after 30 minutes the colors will become inverted. And that you only have a 4MB graphics card (No, I haven't upgraded my computer yet. Still have a 4MB card.) and no sound card. In short, I'll keep my GC.

But I am looking forward to Lords of the Realm III, though not many people know about it. LotR2 was a lot like Civilization. LotR3 should be about 5 times as good as LotR2. So I'm stoked.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 9:43 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
It is True that PCs are more versitile because they are upgrable and if you have an expensive enough proccesor, large amount of RAM, a really nice video card that is twice the price of a console *coughGeForcecough* amoung other things you will have better graphics and speed than a current console. The one thing is that a PC biggest advaantage is alos a big disadvantage, there always seems to be another patch you have to download or something that is wrong with your current system and says you need to upgrade that makes a PC a royal pain in the ass. The other thing about PCs and consoles is that both are more suitable for different games. FPSs and MMORPGs are no question better on a PC, but action/adventure and sports games are no question better on a console. Just be happy with what you have and don't bash one or the other.
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 10:28 pm
AnimeArtist4

Post subject:
Ok, this seems to be a big issue, so i'll start it.. what do you all think of Animal crossing. now, don't just udge this game by looking at the commercials, this game is great and realistic (Not graphic-wise).
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 10:18 am
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
I have the game, I got it yesterday. It is surprisingly really fun. Think of it as the Sims, only fun. There are so many things to do it's just awesome. The graphics show that it was originally on the 64, but you get past that after aproximately 5.4312 seconds. Maybe don't get it if you're the only one who will use it, since it's a "communication game". It's much more fun if you have friends or family to play it with.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 11:49 am
AnimeArtist4

Post subject:
yeah, i have a big 6 person family so i don't have to wory about that. lol I would liek to own it, but sadley, i'm saving up for metroid prime. i'll probably get anime crossing for christmas. I'll also get zelda GCN for my birthday (which is Feb. 27) unless they delay the release of Zelda!!!!
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 12:19 pm
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
Have you guys seen the BMX XXX? It's on all the systems, but one funny thing I found out was that the PS2 version would be somewhat censored. The reason I found it funny was because the system that was known for the more "mature" games got theirs censored, but the "kiddie" gamecube did not. Apparently, Sony wouldn't allow it to be a certified game on their system if they didn't censor it.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 5:34 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Just goes to show you that people always misjudge Nintendo. They do seem to be geting more gutzy with games Like BloodRayne and Duke Nukem Forever.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 5:43 pm
AnimeArtist4

Post subject:
yeah, nintendo has been stepping up more and sticking up for them selves. finnally. Nintendo is my fav. company, alongside with squaresoft. I really like the final fantasies and kingdom hearts.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 6:40 pm
BebopDeathGod

Post subject:
AnimeArtist4 wrote:
Ok, this seems to be a big issue, so i'll start it.. what do you all think of Animal crossing. now, don't just udge this game by looking at the commercials, this game is great and realistic (Not graphic-wise).

BIG HEAPING PILE OF CRAP!!
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 7:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
BebopDeathGod wrote:

BIG HEAPING PILE OF CRAP!!

hehe, nice and consise.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 7:57 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Consoles... bah
Xwingfreak wrote:
I dont know about all of you crazy console people, but the only games i ever play are on my good old PC. The current reigning favorite is Jedi Knight II outcast, followed by Starcraft and Civilization III. For some odd reason I just can't deal with modern consoles; however, i find myself enamoured to the small collection of SNES roms i have on my hard drive. shrug.

Probably my biggest point is that you can generally get a better deal out of computer games than consoles, because the computer is a much more versitile machine. My computer is pretty old, but it can still run games that rival those of the PS2 and Xbox. The do it for much less cost because they have a dedicated processor that only needs to proccess video data. This only works if your using your PC for only gaming, a PC's other uses make it all over much better than a console. Uses like posting stupid things on random forums.
Despite their superior flat out video power, the PS2 and Xbox can't keep up with a high-end PC because of their display system. A TV, when compared to a modern moniter, is in the dark ages in terms of pixellation.

... It appears i have been rambling. Much apologies to those who bothered to read the whole thing.

Speaking of consoles, TV, and computers, are there any good video cards that have S-video, RGB, and/or RCA inputs? When I go off to college, I don't want to have to buy both a new computer and a TV.

In the computers vs. consoles, don't forget the multiplayer/party aspect. It is much harder to get a good party together with computer games. One of three things end up happening:
1) Large, ugly mass of ethernet cable and/or mouse cords
2) Everyone ends up standing around, watching the host show of his "mad skillz"
3) Three people at a time play YDKJ
It is much simpler and easier with a console. I have seen an entire room full (12+ people) entertained by one GC, four controllers, and SSBM, for upwards of three hours.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 8:31 pm
Xwingfreak

Post subject: I concede
In response to Force-Attuned_Krogoth, I defintly agree that consoles are better for parties hands-down. However, computers do allow for remote 'parties' where everyone doesnt have to technically get together, just meet on the internet. Actually, for people like me who still live with their parents and aren't allowed to get console games, going online is better for gaming parties because setting up LAN's on windows platforms is pissy.
GeForce cards don't cost THAT much... off of www.tccomputers.com you can get GeForce4 Titanium for 'only' around $200... thats about the cost of one next-gen console, not two. A more than decent card that can still play most everything is still 'only' around $100, which really isnt THAT horrible. In total, a decent scratch-built gaming PC probably will end up costing around $1000-2000, as compared to the flat $200 of a system. So yeah, guess who loses in price.
Patches arent so bad, at least not when you have DSL =P...anyway, the updates are annoying but for the most part they have a purpose; if a bug is developed in a console game, tough luck. Of course, console games don't develop bugs as easily because they dont have multitasking to screw it up; its totally dedicated. blah.
...Animal crossing? never heard of it. I feel stupid.
And yeah, I definitly think thats its good for nintendo to step out of its whole 'kiddie' stereotype... kids these days are violent, so instead of corning a market nintendo is just messing themselves up by targeting the wrong demographic. fools.
Anyway, I've really not gotten enough experience on a console from playing at friends houses to knowledgedbly join any thread on that topic... I feel even stupider now.

... I rambled again didn't I. poo.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 11:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
yeah, but I don't thinkt he geforce cards have the inputs he wanted. I know that the Raedon 8500dv has inputs for video capturing. Or you could just buy a tv card and not have to worry about a video card with inputs.

PostMon Nov 11, 2002 12:05 am
Knight_Hawk

Post subject:
IGN reviews Metroid Prime

Gameplay
Metroid Prime is an action-packed adventure set in the first-person perspective that takes place just after the events in the original Metroid (NES). It has lead character Samus Aran, a bounty hunter by trade, chasing down the evil Space Pirates. Their intention is to use a genetic mutagen called Phazon to create a super army and take over the universe. While the installments in the series before have never been home to deeply involving storylines, Metroid Prime breaks the shell to offer up one of the most intriguing and read-worthy sagas yet. Equipped with a scanning tool, one of many useful features of the Power Suit that protects the hunter's body, Samus Aran can uncover important details about the past and present. As the player, it's easy to become absorbed in the grim tale, and furthermore because you save all data to your log book, it becomes a practical novel of research data available at any time. Next to Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, it's one of most well done story concepts on GameCube yet, which is an especially rare treat given that it's based on the Metroid franchise. Moreover, the solitary nature of being a bounty hunter on the unfamiliar planet of Tallon IV makes understanding the plot all the more rewarding and immersive.
The prevailing gameplay style, polished and refined, is perfectly representative of the standards laid down in Super Metroid. In fact, Prime manages to bring nearly every major element of the series, sans the Screw Attack and Dash Boots, to this new adventure. Like before, the focus is exploring the massive, uncharted planet around you. As Aran, you begin your quest with nothing. Your most important Power Suit features -- the ability to roll into a Morph Ball, jump higher, carve through ice, etc. -- must be gained through exploration and persistence. The general progression teases you with sights of inaccessible doorways, out of reach platforms, and often caustic environments that require suit upgrades. For example the lava-filled caverns of Magmoor require a suit upgrade to shield you from the heat, grey doors call for the Ice Beam, and numerous elevated platforms demand a special pair of boots. These upgrades are only a few of the many. It is this delicate and sophisticated balance that makes Metroid Prime the incredible design accomplishment that it is. It is one massive world tied together by a handful of elevators and secret passages. The rewarding sensation of discovering new areas and powering up your arsenal of weapons and tools is unmatched.

Complex puzzles play hugely into this design. Around every corner Metroid Prime demands that the player figure out something. Occasionally it's simple and at other times it requires drawing on everything you've learned to that point, but it is always gratifying. This system of awarding you for even the smallest of your efforts makes it extremely difficult to travel to the nearest save station and take a break. There is always something tugging at the back of your mind, begging you to try out your newest skill and solve what may have previously seemed like an impossible puzzle. In particular, Retro Studios has taken hold of the many opportunities that arise from Samus's ability to change into a Morph Ball. You must use it in half-pipes to speed to higher points and quite often the camera switches to a 2D-style perspective to reveal mazes and pinball-esque designs. One of our favorite puzzle environments submerges the Morph Ball underwater. Only with the clever detonation of bombs and exploiting the lessened gravity will you make it to the exit. Moments like these are littered liberally all over the worlds, which keeps gameplay from getting repetitive. It also easily makes Metroid Prime the most diverse and complicated in the series. It is not remotely easy or passive in any way, which is exactly what we adore about it. Likewise, the pacing of the design and balance is the best we've seen in years. It's truly remarkable.

Meanwhile, action and shooting also factors largely into the experience. Again, the balance is a throwback to the previous Metroids where every section of the world has some kind of life in it. The combat system, like Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time before it, adheres to a lock-on mechanic to simplify shootouts in the 3D world. Couple this with the fact that the controls are not dual analog, and it should be clear that Metroid Prime is not intended to be your traditional first-person shooter. Exploration composes the bulk of the quest, and enemies are merely there to inject the game with a healthy dose of action. In fact, fighting enemies can often be a puzzle itself. There are a lot of cleverly designed creatures that require scanning them to find weakpoints, and making use of that information is very important. Some are more simply defeated and others take diligence. The Space Pirates that have invaded Tallon IV present the biggest threat, but the creature list is pretty huge overall. Wasp-like insects swarm Samus when you near their hive, snarling Baby Sheegoth -- the guard dogs of the icy Phendrana Drifts -- charge you at first sight, and mechanical drones unleash rapid gunfire onto you if alarmed.

That is but a small portion of the list, and there are other foes that cause trouble in a more subtle way. For example, one particularly neat beetle-like creature vacuums up Samus in Morph Ball form and ejects you out the nearest exit. As a whole, the controls work perfectly for the game style, and combat can still be very intense and satisfying. As a matter of fact, artificial intelligence is handled pretty well and ramps up as you progress deeper on your journey. Namely, the Space Pirates begin to take cover when attacked, leaping huge distances to gain a better vantage point. They can be very aggressive, sometimes working in teams. If you have any apprehension that the said lock-on system will not provide a challenge, think again. Things get very difficult. The only qualm we have with the combat, is that you must repeatedly engage in the same battles. It's meant to be faithful to the previous Metroids, where enemies reappear after you leave a room, but with the increased difficulty and complexity it can seem unfair at times. It's debatable, however, and once you've honed your skills enough it shouldn't pose a major problem.

Additionally, you will have to face off with about a dozen mini-boss and boss figures. On a much larger scale than figuring out basic enemies, the bosses all have some weakness that must be exploited. As you acquire more skills, the requirements for defeating each boss become more imposing. Equally impressive is that nearly every boss figure towers high above Samus. We found the collection of foes to be some of the best and most cleverly designed we've faced in a great while. It's another element of Metroid Prime that exudes the kind of polish that Nintendo so consistently delivers to its Zelda series. Needless to say, we were very happy with the boss sequences, and we're positive you'll find them very gratifying.

In its entirety, the package screams sky-high production values from start to finish. Everything about Metroid Prime is absolutely amazing. Just as we experienced total elation with Zelda's transition from 2D to 3D (The Ocarina of Time, 1998), we can now enjoy that same caliber thrill with Metroid Prime, which is every bit as fantastic as Super Metroid. Make haste, and add Prime to your GameCube collection.

Graphics
Aesthetically, Metroid Prime is one of the most gorgeous games we've ever seen. It owes its beauty to two major components: art direction and a technologically impressive engine. It is so extremely rare that we see a game bring both elements together so tightly. In Metroid Prime's case, the art direction is probably the more fantastic of the two. Retro Studios' artists have created a completely believable style for this science fiction fantasy. Borrowing concepts from the original designs in Metroid and Super Metroid, Retro's stunning art vision is generously spread across several uniquely themed environments; the verdant rain-soaked overworld, steamy magma-filled cavern, and hazy mining facilities make up but a few of the diverse areas.
Even more extraordinary is that every new section of the world you enter looks completely different thanks to brilliant architecture; the Chozo Ruins are off-kilter, dry, and crumbling, Phendrana Drifts' walls are carved from ancient ice that radiates with a blue glow, and Magmoor Caverns is a maze of claustrophobic, lava-filled passageways. The attention to detail continues to a more microscopic level, as you can cast your gaze in almost any direction and see something you may not have noticed before; flocks of birds soar under the hot sun, indents or juts on walls and flooring are cause for a more organic feel, bridges are not square or obvious, but instead intertwined branches or fallen rubble, and every wall has a different set of cracks and chips. If Retro Studios has proven one thing, it is how extremely valuable artistry is for establishing the mood of a game and immersing the player. There are few 3D videogames that can hold a candle to this visionary masterpiece.

Naturally, that accomplishment is only possible with the backing of equally ambitious technology. The programming team at Retro Studios has constructed a flexible engine that is capable of drawing these detailed and sometimes massive environments at 60 frames per second with no slowdown. At first glance it may not seem like the worlds are high polygon, but with all the subtleties and organic architecture there is a lot going on. Furthermore, the character rendering is truly jaw-dropping. Samus, the various creatures, and the gigantic boss figures are all tremendously detailed. There are a few in-engine cut-scenes in the game that could easily be mistaken for full-motion video. For example, one incident that unfolds as you defeat the final boss will take your breath away. Indeed, it's very often that Metroid Prime will have you second-guessing how the engine is capable of so much.

That's not to say it's perfect, however. Textures are complex and plentiful, even crisp from far away, but up close the quality falters. Furthermore, the much-talked-about bump-mapping technique, used to give textures more depth, is nowhere to be found. It seems likely that these drawbacks are a product of keeping Prime running at 60 fps with so much diversity and intricacy. Nonetheless there are a host of other effects that easily overshadow what's lacking. For starters, the visor effects such as Infrared and X-ray prove incredibly accurate. Unbelievably, every object has a sensible heat signature; machinery displays as dark blues and black while living creatures, lights, and other heated objects light up in orange and red. Likewise, the X-ray visor is so precise it even reveals the bones in Samus's hand. There are also a handful of atmospheric conditions that affect Samus's visor: condensation builds from passing under a waterfall or through steam, static and veins of electricity brand the screen when Samus interacts with energy-charged objects, and raindrops and splashes of water create a temporary refraction of the world around you. The numerous eye-popping effects -- so many we can't detail them all -- pull you into the world and don't let go.

Equally important is the lighting model found in Prime. Nearly everything that moves produces beautiful, vibrant lighting. The shots from Samus's gun, the beams that radiate out of the Morph Ball, and the varying overcast of colors that set the mood in the environments exploits the very robust lighting GameCube is capable of. It produces a lot of depth by interacting with the detailed architecture, and the desire for bump-mapping is lessened because of it.

To top it all off, those with a progressive scan capable television can benefit from a truly gorgeous display. Metroid Prime looks incredible with the blazingly fast framerate and myriad of effects. Unfortunately, there is no widescreen support.Sound
It should come as no surprise that Metroid Prime is home to the best sound design yet on GameCube. The Kenji Yamamoto composed soundtrack is every bit as characteristic and pleasing as Super Metroid was before it. For very good reason, too, as Yamamoto was the original composer. The Japanese surprises with incredibly versatility, twisting together light atmospheric melodies that hang on the air and driving industrial beats, which give it a distinct modern tinge. As soundtrack done completely with MIDI, Yamamoto proves that redbook audio can be overrated. Heavy drums, piano, voiced chants, clangs of pipes, ominous electric guitar hooks, and many synthesized effects produce a distinctly alien mood. More impressive is that there are a lot of subtle audio cues that affect the player during the experience. When fighting the music gets very aggressive and perhaps after you've beaten a boss you'll find there is a more driving beat that parallels your excitement. Naturally, many themes from the previous games have returned too. You'll recognize them frequently, but Yamamoto has been keen to add new flavor to them. The same goes for the celebratory melodies heard when kicking off your quest from your last save point or finding a power-up. So, both fans and new Metroid followers alike will find the listening experience absolutely rocks.
Complimenting the high quality soundtrack, Metroid Prime comes chock full of a sound effects library to die for. There has been great attention to detail from the foreign growls of the Space Pirates to the screeches of the alien insects. Every mechanical sound that Samus's Power Suit utters is almost exactly as you imagine it would be. Add to that, the environment around you is littered with random noises, whether it is the hiss of a nearby steam vent or the cranking of a nearby elevator there is a lot to absorb. The atmospheres just seem to echo and blend perfectly with the overlying soundtrack.

Mixed in Dolby Pro Logic II by a member of Dolby itself, Prime is a stellar treat for the ears that we can find few issues with.

Closing Comments
Metroid on the NES was one of the first epic games I ever experienced. My brother and I, at the age of about seven, spent weeks and months questing through the password-enabled adventure. It had a certain charm to it, and even if I couldn't describe it then it made an impact on me. Then along came Super Metroid in 1994, and I was totally blown away by how brilliant it was. It was a perfect videogame in my mind. It was edgy, home to a fantastic power-up system, full of awesome bosses, and the gameplay style was a soul mate to me.
Needless to say, I have an unhealthy obsession with the franchise. So, when Metroid Prime was finally announced I was both thrilled and frightened to see how it would turn out. But after several years of very hard work, Retro Studios and Nintendo have translated the same genius of Super Metroid into 3D with very few casualties. Because of that, Metroid Prime has not only become my most beloved title on GameCube, but also one of my most treasured games of all time. I'm not sure where I place it, but it's very high on the list.

If I had to make one personal observation, it would be that the change to first-person perspective was brilliant for its move to 3D, but not perfect. I felt comfortable (even in awe) 90% of the time, but there are a few boss fights where it can frustrate. It's extremely rare, but something you should be aware of going into it. It's nothing that sours the overall quality, though.

That said, I would recommend Metroid Prime as an absolute buy -- skip the renting facade -- for every owner of a GameCube. It's a real collector's item. You'll want to keep this one even after your done spending 30+ hours with it. The only reason one would avoid it is if action/adventures are not part of your narrower taste in games. If you fall into that category, you have no idea what you're missing out on.

Metroid Prime is an instant classic that you will use to measure forthcoming software by.

-- Fran Mirabella III

Presentation
Metroid reborn in 3D, and an impressive sci-fi fantasy to boot. Awesome menus. Design is great from concept to execution. Few games are this polished. 10.0
Graphics
A stunning art vision that deserves major recognition, jaw-dropping world architecture, and volumes of pretty textures. At 60 fps with progressive scan support, there are few that compare. 9.0
Sound
The original Nintendo composer delivers another opus and fantastically designed sound effects compliment the mood with Dolby Pro Logic II support. 10.0
Gameplay
A true masterpiece; an accomplishment that will be recognized for years. It is Super Metroid in 3D, and it's as complex and wonderful as any gamer could want. Any self-respecting gamer must own it. 10.0
Lasting Appeal
30+ hours to average completion. Requires much longer to earn 100%. Unlock art galleries, difficulty settings, and connect to GBA for extras. No multiplayer, but like Zelda, do we need it? 9.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.8

Another must buy folks Smile
PostTue Nov 12, 2002 8:24 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
at least count down the length a bit... no way I'm reading that in one chunk. Especially since I can go to ign and read it with media. I probably won't but I could.

PostTue Nov 12, 2002 1:00 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 2 of 57

Jump to: