нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Official Naruto Talkback
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Official Naruto Talkback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laughingman

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
Kakashi's voice was dead on, all is not lost. Actually with the exception of the kiss everything was fine, the voices fit the character and there was only one major edit.

Kakashi's voice sounds almost the same as Sasuke's, Iruka's and Mizuki's. Are they quadruplets or voiced by the same actor??? Where's the variety and uniqueness? How can four so totally different characters in age, temperment and personality sound so much alike???

The dubbing on this show is incredibly weak and leaves A LOT to be desired.

With all due respect, what the heck are you talking about. Kakashi sounded calm, laid back and respectable just the kind voice that suits his character. Sasuke talked like a angst filled teenager, Iruka voice held tha authority of a teacher both in this episode and the last ones(and belive you me, I've yelled at by enough teachers to know when they mean business).

About the only VA I had trouble with was the one for Shikimaru, I expected him to be much more laid back. It just didn't have the "That's nice but why should I care" feel. Other than that every one else seemed to be cast rather well specially Kurenai.
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 1:59 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Why are these people complaining? If the voices "suck" then dont watch it. You dont have to let everyone know that you cant accept a decent dub. This dub is one of the best ones I have ever seen. EVERYTHING is being pronounced right and its just the beginning of the show. Like I have said before, GIVE IT TIME TO IMPROVE. No person does not improve at something they keep doing. Intros and Outros are fine, their are not the 4kids style of starting a show and it actually sounds kind of like the 2nd original opening of naruto. You shouldn't worry about that in the first place because you dont watch it just to see the intro. All the voice actors just need time to get used to their roles. If your complaining about edits watch the dvd's then. If you decide to keep watching you will feel like you acted stupid in the past because you are going to start liking it.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 2:15 pm
jackfrost

Post subject:
Quote:
Fansubbers support the industry? Debatable. But I don't feel like getting into that right now. But I just want to say that that is DEFFINITELY debatable.

ANYTHING'S debatable, whether it's fansubbers' influence or whether the Earth is flat. What's undeniable, though, is the fact that the anime boom in this country since the 90s has been largely fueled by U.S. distributors' recognition that fansubbed anime has a huge and fanatical audience, one with deep pockets that were waiting to be mined. Fairly sensible businessmen that they were, they simply took advantage of it.

Why would Cartoon Network, VIZ, Funimation and all of the other companies waste so much time and money on products they didn't know had a waiting and potentially growing audience? By looking at WHICH fansubs have the biggest audience, they can get a pretty clear idea of which anime will be successful in this country and who it should best be marketed to. Fansubs do half of the marketing research and promo work for them, for free!
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 3:16 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:
Quote:
Fansubbers support the industry? Debatable. But I don't feel like getting into that right now. But I just want to say that that is DEFFINITELY debatable.

ANYTHING'S debatable, whether it's fansubbers' influence or whether the Earth is flat. What's undeniable, though, is the fact that the anime boom in this country since the 90s has been largely fueled by U.S. distributors' recognition that fansubbed anime has a huge and fanatical audience, one with deep pockets that were waiting to be mined. Fairly sensible businessmen that they were, they simply took advantage of it.

Yeah fansubs did help get people interested in anime in the US. And yes distributors took note and started to license them.

Quote:
Why would Cartoon Network, VIZ, Funimation and all of the other companies waste so much time and money on products they didn't know had a waiting and potentially growing audience? By looking at WHICH fansubs have the biggest audience, they can get a pretty clear idea of which anime will be successful in this country and who it should best be marketed to. Fansubs do half of the marketing research and promo work for them, for free!

But you forget not all fansubbers are "ethical" they will continue to sub them even after they are licensed.I would be lying if I said that I do not watch a fansub of a licensed series. But I plan on buying the DVD's as soon as the are available(not that it makes it legal). However there are a number of people who will download the fansubs and never buy the DVD's. So in the end fansubs also become a problem for distributors. After all why would you want to buy something you can d/l for free?
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 4:07 pm
JKyle

Veteran

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:
Quote:

Where I whole heartedly agree that the number of people supporting a fansub is taken into account as free market research, I'm not sure you can still debate the shape of the earth.

You could, but there's that whole "Intelligent Design" mess that's much more hip.

Fansubs have an influence but not a huge one. Fansub popularity =/= Mainstream popularity. Chobits was never as big in America as it was on the net, Detective Cona... er... Case Closed didn't really expand much farther than it's cult audience, and people are still wondering why stuff like Scrapped Princess and Prince of Tennis isn't licensed.

And despite their huge numbers One Piece and Naruto weren't snatched as soon as they could've been, and if 4Kids had paid clsoe attention to the large number of OP fans, Sanji wouldn't be smoking a lollipop.*

I won't debate that fansubbers support the industry. Because even if they never spend a red cent on the product they are free advertisement.

HOWEVER they are not a huge foundation upon which profitability sits. Profitability depends on
A) Can we show it on TV and how many will watch it
B) How much will it cost to edit it put it on TV
C) Will it sell T-Shirts and Toys, and Bears OH MY.

*Smoking may cause cancer. Smoking a lollipop may cause slagged sugar product to raze the inside of your mouth. Don't try this at home.
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 4:24 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
JKyle wrote:
I won't debate that fansubbers support the industry. Because even if they never spend a red cent on the product they are free advertisement.

HOWEVER they are not a huge foundation upon which profitability sits. Profitability depends on

And JKyle wins again, even if he forgot that Scrapped Princess is licensed and halfway through its US release. Wink

Fansubs are a two-edged sword. They may be an indicator to US distribution companies of what people are interested in, but the Japanese are also aware of them, and raise the bidding prices of their licenses to suit. That's one reason it took a year and a half for a Naruto licensing deal- everyone knew it was a gold mine and wanted a piece of it.
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 4:45 pm
jackfrost

Post subject:
Quote:
And despite their huge numbers One Piece and Naruto weren't snatched as soon as they could've been, and if 4Kids had paid clsoe attention to the large number of OP fans, Sanji wouldn't be smoking a lollipop.*

Heh, heh... Lollipop sucker! They can't really have him smoke with the TV rating they gave the show, but they could've given him something a little more manly to put in his mouth, like a toothpick. But that probably would've cost 2 cents more to edit in, so they scrapped it. Smile

Quote:

With a huge internet sub fanbase, points (A) and (C) are almost a given for many shows. Point (B) seems like the only real variable.
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 5:29 pm
Laughingman

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:
Quote:

Heh, heh... Lollipop sucker! They can't really have him smoke with the TV rating they gave the show, but they could've given him something a little more manly to put in his mouth, like a toothpick. But that probably would've cost 2 cents more to edit in, so they scrapped it. Smile

Quote:

With a huge internet sub fanbase, points (A) and (C) are almost a given for many shows. Point (B) seems like the only real variable.

4K!DS has reapetedly defied the reason of point B in order to achieve their ideal of point A, which in turn has ruined all their hopes of reaching point C. I'm speaking ofcourse about the One Piece dub.
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 8:35 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Uh, don't mean to interrupt the conversation, but I thought I'd throw out my opinions on episode three...

I'm liking what I'm seeing with the students that I'm assuming we'll be seeing developed more as the series progresses. Sure, some of them initially fit into the 'stereotypical' roles, but they seem like a fun, entertaining bunch...

Naruto's voice is slowly growing on me, as my initial reaction was "Wow, this kid sounds like a brat", but it's obvious that's very fitting for the role, so I can accept it in that sense. Nothing else strikes me as negative, so no qualms here...

I would normally close this here, but I noticed this earlier:

Laughingman wrote:
Actually with the exception of the kiss everything was fine, the voices fit the character and there was only one major edit.

You don't mean they animated the 'kiss' I'm thinking of, do you? If so, then I'm more than happy they cut it out...

And that's it for me. May your debate commence...
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 9:57 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:
Quote:

Please tell me, what part of "But I don't feel like getting into that right now" don't you understand?

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 11:48 pm
jackfrost

Post subject:
Quote:
Please tell me, what part of "But I don't feel like getting into that right now" don't you understand?

You don't have to, if you don't want to. It's a free country. Smile
PostSun Sep 18, 2005 11:57 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
The internet knows no country. The Law of the Land here is the will of the mods.
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 12:47 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Jorbowsky, I don't want to put you on the spot, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I'm curious and would like you to please answer the following questions: (anyone else who wants to answer is welcome to as well)

1) How many official (non-bootleg) Region 1 (USA/Canada) anime DVDs do you and/or your brother own?

2) How many official (non-bootleg) Region 2 (Japan/Europe) anime DVDs do you and/or your brother own?

3) How many anime DVDs have you not purchased because you already saw the series/movie fansubbed?

4) How many anime DVDs have you purchased because you saw the series/movie fansubbed?

5) Do you make any blind anime DVD purchases? (Buy a series/movie you have not seen fansubbed.) If yes, how many?

6) How many anime DVDs have you purchased because you saw the series/movie on U.S. television?

7) How many anime DVDs have you not purchased because you already saw the series/movie on U.S. television?

8) If you read anime magazines like NewType, Animerica, Anime Insider. How many anime DVDs do you purchase after reading an article in a magazine or online?

9) How many anime DVDs have you not purchased after reading an article/review in a magazine or online?
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 1:03 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JKyle

Veteran

Post subject:
jackfrost wrote:
Quote:

You don't have to, if you don't want to. It's a free country. :)
I got into it for him.

Point B wasn't the only variable, because plenty of series that will NEVER see the light of day on network TV (broadcast or cable) move merchandise like there's no tomorrow.
For example:

Mainstream Kid Friendly:
DBZ is yes on A (a big yes), a little less than it used to be on B (which was a lot), and YESYESYES on C.

Niche Market:
Fruits Basket is sure but not many on A, moderate on B, and also YESYESYES on C.

Mainstream Mature:
Bebop was yes and plenty, not that much, and OH YEAH on C.

Niche Mature:
Big O (1, not 2 which CN had a hand no mater how small in) would be yes but not enough (on AS, on Toonami it would've continued building a cult but being unprofitable), not much, and no

And, b/c you were all waiiting for me to mention our buds in the Ham Ham gang.

Niche Kids Market:
Hamtaro; Yes, but apparently not enough on A, next to nothing on B, plenty on C. Course, if it is gone for good CN might've done it because even though it moved dolls, the bottom line is still THEIR profit.

So yeah, the variables bounce around a lot. But all three points are variables. If I had more time (or thought you were interested) I'd like shows in all those categories that varied so that the differences didn't look categorical. Briefly I'll just say that Yu Gi Oh sold toys like DBZ and required less censorship, whereas Full Metal Alchemist could pull in Bebop numbers also requiring less censorship.

And sorry for the Scrapped Princess mishap, but it was one of the main ones I remembered hearing people clamor for to no avail.

And LaughingMan, C is not even a factor because there's
1) A lack of merchandise
2) 4Kids' focus on B to reach the first half of A, negates the SECOND half of A which in the case of a show lacking the cute factor seriously impedes the road to C.
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 2:05 am
SlimJim

Veteran

Post subject:
I'm all for a good debate, but ten pages? Gentlemen, I propose a cease fire...

Can we go back to discussing our opinions on the show WITHOUT an arguement?
PostMon Sep 19, 2005 7:20 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 10 of 26

Jump to: