нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Intel CEO: "The World Is Not Enough"... :P
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Intel CEO: "The World Is Not Enough"... :P
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Intel CEO: "The World Is Not Enough"... :P
Bloody Hell! Mad

WWDC: Apple drops IBM PowerPC line for Intel chips
By Mathew Honan, Macworld.com

At its Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) today, Apple announced plans to begin delivering models of its Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors by June 2006, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a Mac OS X Tiger system running on an Intel-based Mac to the audience of developers attending Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address.

The move marks a major shift for Apple, which has long relied on PowerPC chips from IBM to drive its computers. To help with the switch, Apple also announced the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple’s software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

“Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,� said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It’s been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel’s technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years.�

“We are thrilled to have the world’s most innovative personal computer company as a customer,� said Paul Otellini, president and CEO of Intel. “Apple helped found the PC industry and throughout the years has been known for fresh ideas and new approaches. We look forward to providing advanced chip technologies, and to collaborating on new initiatives, to help Apple continue to deliver innovative products for years to come.�

Third party developers, including Microsoft, announced support of the transition following Jobs’ announcement.

“We plan to create future versions of Microsoft Office for the Mac that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,� said Roz Ho, general manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit.

“We think this is a really smart move on Apple’s part and plan to create future versions of our Creative Suite for Macintosh that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,� said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe.

The Developer Transition Kit is available starting today for $999 to all Apple Developer Connection Select and Premier members at Apple’s Developer Connection website. Intel plans to provide industry leading development tools support for Apple later this year, including the Intel C/C++ Compiler for Apple, Intel Fortran Compiler for Apple, Intel Math Kernel Libraries for Apple and Intel Integrated Performance Primitives for Apple.

The rest of you, gloat away. I'll be out drinking heavily...
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 6:34 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
This breeds many questions/concerns.

When this transition takes place will Mac OS be installable on any Intel x86 based CPU, or just on Intel's custom Mac CPUs?

Will older/current Mac programs still be usable on the new CPU hardware, or will people have to buy new Intel-Mac versions? From the article it looks like new versions will need to be purchased. What about the old software/games that won't be getting a new version? An emulator would be nice.

Will these new CPUs be 64-bit dual core, or some lame 32-bit cheap Intel CPU?
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
It does seem like someone is wearing their money hat.
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 7:14 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yay! Intel!

...But even Intel can't save a dying breed. Apple and their Macintosh line's days are numbered. Bwahahahahaha!
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 7:33 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Most likely they will be 64 bit. All of the processors from every company are heading in that direction. So I don't see why they would use 32 bit processors.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 7:34 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well since Apple is for the underdog why the hell didnt they go with AMD at least?
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
I will answer all questions.

Apple is making and supporting Mac OSx86 (haha funny i made up) only for Intel-based Macs.
Yes.
Intel-based Macs.
Imagine the iMac G5.
Only with a Pentium D processor.
It will look and act the same.

For those of you saying "omg OS X on my ShitBox PC!" I say to you "not unless you make it happen".
Since the kernel is open source, It'll be really easy (i.e., not impossible) to figure out how to get it to run on commodity hardware.
x86 Macs won't be running Open Firmware like PPC Macs, so that's one less thing to worry about. There's going to be a finite number of configurations that will work once you get past any other technical hurdles. Remember...you still need (to emulate) Apple's ROM.
Also, Apple's not gonna support you worth shit. They don't care that your PS/2 ports don't work and your integrated audio doesn't have any drivers. You have to make it happen yourselves.

99% of current Mac software will run on the Intel-based Macs.
Apple licensed/coolified Transitive's binary translation software for OSx86. Breakout, SuperBreakout and Photoshop all run nicely as-is. They'll run nicer if compiled for x86 from the get go.

Speaking of compiling...

Xcode will build Universal (dual-platform) binaries by default.
99% of any new software (unless you're thinking of WINE or VMware) will work on PPC and Intel Macs for a long long time.
PPC isn't going away in a year. Or two or three. Any computer you buy now will continue to be supported with new OS upgrades for its reasonable lifespan.

Apple didn't go with AMD because Apple like's Intel's newest chips like the Pentium M and Pentium D. Those are actually sexy processors with low power consumption and heat giving-out-ness.
Apple's missing out on the Opteron, but I'm confident Intel will be able to adapt some 64-bit magic for Apple.
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 9:15 pm
Alshoff

Post subject:
As long as the processor is designed by Isralis, it should be okay.
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 9:34 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Whoooooooo!! I can still play breakout!
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:12 am
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
umm...Solitaire ftw?
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
The Legend of Soltare can be played through WINE.
(or just download one of the 10,000,000 free versions online)
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 3:18 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
After some sleep and a bit of analytical reading and navel-gazing, I think I'm almost at the end of Stage 4 today.

PS- I decided to skip Stage 3, although some people didn't. Wink
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 6:33 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Apple's biggest challenge isn't getting apps ported...it's marketing.

News of this announcement has spread far beyond Apple's PR control and will affect the purchasing decisions of everyone from Grandma to College Student to Video Professional to Fortune 500 CEO - whether the news is even relevant to them or not.

NO, your recent or future Mac investment won't be obsolete in a year.
NO, you won't be buying a beige box next year. The new Intel Macs will look EXACTLY LIKE today's PPC Macs. They won't be manufactured by the likes of Dell.
NO, Apple's not moving to Windows, and x86 isn't inherently virus-infested. Only the current x86 OS you're familiar with is.
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 11:10 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Should make for fun times and interesting conversations at the Apple Store. Smile
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 11:31 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Should make for fun times and interesting conversations at the Apple Store. Smile

That's a great idea! Then maybe Tyler could post the conversations (from both employees AND customers) in his blog.

I think it'll be interesting to see what their initial reactions will be to this news...
PostWed Jun 08, 2005 2:13 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: