нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Rants of a Japanofile
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Rants of a Japanofile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alshoff

Post subject:
1.) MTV does not play music any longer. Take that as a sign of the state of things.

2.) There still are white gangs. They are called anarchists. And once they get put in prison, they become Neo Nazis.
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 12:40 am
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
And then once they turn 40, they become merely white supremecists.
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 3:01 am
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Where you live at?
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 9:53 am
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Oklahoma
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 11:03 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
And that should explain everything.

As for Japanese Music being uninspired, that's a complete load of shit. NO MUSIC IS INSPIRED. Everyone copies from eachother, if you play the same intrusments there are only so many sounds you can create and so many original melodies that can be made. The difference is between an homage and a copy. I find a ton of homages to American bands like the Beatles, Clash, The Who, in Jrock, but I never hear exact note-for-note copies of anything. Not true with american music where direct sampling is so present.

The main problem stems from what types of music they're talking about. Jpop is notoriously cheezy and prone to image over music. Hello Project being one of the main culprits.

Most of all it stems from the nature and history of current Japanese music.

*insert woozy flashback effect*

Before WWII Japan's music was almost 100% traditional and not influence by the west. In fact it was discouraged if not outlawed to import foreign music when the military build-up began in the 30's. After Japan's defeat and the occupation western culture was injected straight into the heart of Japan. Clubs started popping up catering to american GIs stationed in the country. Often the house bands would play covers of western songs to please the crowds, Country and Jazz. This is what originally stagnated the countries music.

No one wanted to hear original music only covers of American songs. A form of music known as Enka began a revival which is considered Japan's "country" music. The emphasis of Enka was Standards, or well known songs that were considered and the goal of an Enka singer was to try and recreate the exact sound of the original recording by the original artist. Music soon became nothing more than Kareoke with a new batch of singers every few years.

Real advances in music would not come till the 1980's when Japan's Pop scene blossomed. Inspired by America's Punk, Techno, and Underground scenes Japanese youth started forming Garage bands, experimenting with synth and writing their own music. New pop singers were beggining to copy artists like Madonna and try and create an original image. Artist like X and Buck-Tick would take the the fading Glam Rock image and twist it into what is now Visual-Kei. For the first time Japan was not just copying America's image they were using it to make a new image. Not only that but Japan was also starting to set it's cultural roots in our culture.

The old addage was that Japan in terms of culture is always 10 years behind. Well, the gap is thinning at an increasing rate. And within the last five years it almost looks like they will or already have begun to outpace us. More and more I will hear a new song on the radio and go this sound familiar, the next day when I listen to my music library I come across the same exact thing in a Japanese song dated two or three years ago. The most obvious example is the infamous JET song heard on the Ipod commercial entitled "Are You Gonna Be My Girl. The opening guitar chords, drums every are an exact copy of a B'z song called "Negai" released in 1995.

If you want to see originality listen to T.M. Revolution, listen to Yoko Kanno, Listen to Nobou Uemastsu, Listen to Yuki Kaijura, Listen to GO!GO!7188, LISTEN TO THE THOUSANDS OF BANDS AND ARTISTS CREATING ORIGINAL MUSIC EVERYDAY THAT YOU WILL NEVER HEAR BECAUSE OF YOUR IGNORANCE AND RACISM.
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 12:02 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
And don't forget the 5,6,7,8's. Also, on the note of racism, ever notice how much of it is in rap? Granted I can't say that there isn't racism in Jpop but ignorance is bliss in this case.
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 12:59 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
I find a ton of homages to American bands like the Beatles, Clash, The Who,

...er, uhm...
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 1:05 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
A) Someone in this thread has been doing too much programming . . .

B) There IS good rap. But, like everything else, you need to find it. A lot of old school stuff is inspired and/or classic. When Tupac and Elton John did a song together, it was glorious. And what about Walk This Way? If you don't like that song, you're a communist. And there's something classic about Biggy, old Dr Dre, etc. As for what's currently out there, aside from a few catchy Eminem lyrics/hook, there isn't anything good. Not on the radio. Find stuff. Again, see my reccommendations earlier in this thread.

C) Vegito, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it is good. Walmart is popular, and it's sapping life out of the world. I will never do or like something because other people are doing or liking it. That would make me a lemming. Lemmings are great. Over there. Away from me. None of my friends are lemmings. How did this happen? I very, VERY carefully select who I grant my time to, and who I get granted time by. If you suck, the hell with you. I don't have time for suck in my life.

This has made me a very happy, and sefl-contented person.

D) There is also inspired rock in America. That is, rock with homages to the Beatles, the Who, the Pixies, etc. I heard a Nine Inch Nails song today that had some parts that sounded like Cake and some parts that sounded like they were made by Self (I'm sure no one here knows Self. I'm also sure a large portion of you have heard songs that he's produced.) I'm sure NIN listens to all types of music, absorb it, and spit out something NIN-like.

When you watch something on TV or in a Movie, NO SHOT IS ORIGINAL. Every single type of shot, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TYPE OF SHOT has been done before 1950. You can't make an original shot.

But you can make a great matchup of various shots, thus creating an awesome movie.

For now, I'm tired, and so I'll let that stew in your brains for a while. Remember kiddies, if all your friends already know about it, then who can you share it with? Find some indie stuff thats good. Sift through that crap. It's worth your time.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 6:26 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Find some indie stuff thats good. Sift through that crap. It's worth your time.

That's kinda like looking for Mr. Goodbar in NYC. But everyone has their own tastes. In the end, music is music. Even rap.

A word on most (not all) rap- it's produced by the dregs of society, listened to by the rock bottom of society, and anyone who rejects it is at the top of society.
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 1:05 am
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
I wouldn't say i'm at the top. Far from it. I just can't stand bad music.
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 11:31 am
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
How can you say there is racism in rap. African Americans dont rap about racism. The classic rap like NWA, dr.dre, and the infamous tupac and biggie smalls were very good but rap has evolved since then and I dont mean that 50 cent crap thats out. I mean people like jadakiss and the game. Listen to their mixtapes and you might change mind. One thing CP, I dont like rap because "other people like it" I like it because I like it. You guys dont like rap for obvious reasons like: you just dont like it, mostly all rappers are black,or "too many people like it".
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 12:43 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
I don't like Rap because of how it degenerated to WAY too similar beats and very offensive lyrics.
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 1:22 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Not all of it is like that.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 2:03 pm
LLG

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:
How can you say there is racism in rap. African Americans dont rap about racism. ..... You guys dont like rap for obvious reasons like: you just dont like it, mostly all rappers are black,or "too many people like it".

Oh REALLY? I did a serch for rap lyrics. Racist rap lyrics. Guess what? I got 72,100 hits. And now, I will present to you lyrics written by African-Americans.

Kill the white people; we gonna make them hurt; kill the white people; but buy my record first; ha, ha, ha";
"Kill d'White People"; --Apache, Apache Ain't Shit, 1993, Tommy Boy Music, Time Warner, USA.

"Niggas in the church say: kill whitey all night long. . . . the white man is the devil. . . . the CRIPS and Bloods are soldiers I'm recruiting with no dispute; drive-by shooting on this white genetic mutant. . . . let's go and kill some rednecks. . . . Menace Clan ain't afraid. . . . I got the .380; the homies think I'm crazy because I shot a white baby; I said; I said; I said: kill whitey all night long. . . . a nigga dumping on your white ass; fuck this rap shit, nigga, I'm gonna blast. . . . I beat a white boy to the motherfucking ground";
"Kill Whitey"; --Menace Clan, Da Hood, 1995, Rap-A-Lot Records, Noo Trybe Records, subsidiaries of what was called Thorn EMI and now is called The EMI Group, United Kingdom.

"A fight, a fight, a nigger and a white, if the nigger don't win then we all jump in. . . . smoking all [of] America's white boys";
--"A Fight"; Apache, Apache Ain't Shit, 1993, Tommy Boy Music, Time Warner, USA.

"Now I'm black but black people trip 'cause white people like me; white people like me I but don't like them. . . . I don't hate whites, I just gotta death wish for motherfuckers that ain't right";
--"Race War"; Ice-T, Home Invasion, 1993, Priority Records, Thorn EMI; now called The EMI Group, United Kingdom.

This is all from http://www.tightrope.cc/rap.htm, and there are more example there too. So don't you DARE say that African-Americans don't rap about racism!

I give any song I hear two chances- and if I don't like it the second time I hear it, then I will give my reasons. There have only ever been three rap songs I liked, and not because of the lyrics- because of the beat and the backup accompaning it. I could care less about the lyrics, but you had the audacity to claim that there isn't racism!

Also, for your claim that "You guys dont like rap for obvious reasons like: you just dont like it, mostly all rappers are black,or "too many people like it"

1) yeah, WE JUST DON'T LIKE IT! This is America- we don't HAVE to like something.
2) The people who don't like rap because most of the artists are black is a small minority of people who just don't like rap because of its lyrics, beats, or just because it gives them a headach and the lyrics make no sense to them.
3) I may be only one person, but I know a LOT of people, and very few of them, and I mean VERY FEW, like rap. After a while it starts to sound like a livejournal rant put to music to them.

So keep your unsubstantiated claims to yourself, Vegito, and do some reserch next time.
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 3:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
I guess you want research right, you messed wit the wrong person then if you tryin to make me feel stupid.
http://www.essaysample.com/essay/001892.html
Did you know that %20 percent of the population in North
America listen to rap? This also comes from a racist dumbass that doesnt like rap and likes to list all the bad things about it. You should have done more research if you want to beat me in this argument. All you did was get lyrics from a crazy rapper in 1993 that doesnt even rap anymore. Believe me, I know more people than you and I can guarantee that all them even the girls like rap. I come from a latino/black city to back dat up too.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 3:34 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: