нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - AMD or Intel?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
AMD or Intel?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject: AMD or Intel?
I will be needing to buy a computer for when I go off to college in a few months. I'll be getting a desktop (I much prefer performance to portability.)

While I would prefer a Mac, they are simply too expensive. And I want supreme graphics quality and rendeirng skillz for any animation/CAD/video editing I may do.

Thus, I have decided on an Alienware. And I have set the spending cap for myself at $2700-2900. Lower is obviously better.

I MUST HAVE 1 gig of Ram, and I MUST HAVE the ATI X800-PE graphics card. I would also like to have a DVD burner and a second CD drive if possible.

Point? I'm really wondering what processor to go with. It seems that the AMDs are better, but they are more expensive. So what does everyone think? You people are tech savvy, so tell me which is best for my temper and my pocket combined.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 6:45 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
I used to be an Intel junkie, but now I go with AMD because they tend to have greater capability than Intel CPUs.
For example: AMD64 processors have more caches (places to store frequently executed instructions) and faster bus speeds than Intel's Pentium 4 processors.

Intel info

AMD info
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zer0

Post subject:
I love AMD. Always will. But to be honest Intel has better chips when running programs such as video editing and things such as that. BUT AMD is better for for games.

And BTW, Intel is more expensive then AMD. Unless your talking the AMD FX-51 or FX-53 64 bit chips. Other than that, a comparable cpu from intel to amd is usualy more money.

And alienware is nice, but if you can and have the know how, its always better to build it from scrath. But I know not everyone has the patients for their personal confusers.
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 9:48 pm
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
AMD's 64-bitters are the way to go right now, even if you don't have 64 bit software, it still runs the 32 bit ones better than Intel's.
PostThu Jun 03, 2004 10:29 pm
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
rumor I've heard that Microsoft is giving away licences for 64-Bit windows, but you need the processor /rumor

In all the benchmarks I've seen, Intel still bests AMD at video encoding/rendering. Of course that depends on the software as much as anything since I use Adobe Premiere for my video editing it goes much faster thanks to HyperThreading. Otherwise AMD's new chips top intel. Somthing else to look into is a slightly slower true dual processor system like a pair of Xenon's. With a little tweaking it'll be fast as all get out. In reality, it depends on where you really want preformance. I didn't put in a top-notch Graphics card because I don't game heavily and bought the fastest processor on the market and the best RAM I could find to make my video rendering seamless. I'd go AMD since is seems you really want this for games above video editing.

But that's just me.
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 12:28 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Processor suggestions in order of Awesome:
PowerPC 970fx (better G5, not released until June)
AMD Athlon64 FX
Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition

The AMD64 processors are damn fast right now, and just wait until you can run 64bit apps along with it too. No Pentium can match the current and future performance of an AMD64 already on the market.
Chicks dig bits.

...OR, for extra sex, you could go get some Opterons and make a dual processor box.
Once you go dual, you never go back.
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 8:37 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm waiting for the commercial release of windows 64 which should support dual 64bit processors and 64bit proggies. Once that hits dual 64 boards will come out and once that happens I will run windows and linux (maya likes linux alo')
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Clarifications: I will be editing more than I will be gaming. I want to get Adobe Premiere. I should be doing CAD work, and might also be doing some 3d animation on the side. Of course I'll need a camera if I'm to be using Adobe Premiere, and I hope I can get it cheaper than the $650 price tag (I SHOULD be able to get a sutdent liscense, right?)

So I guess I could go down to the ATI-X800 instead of hte X800-PE . . .

Again, the big things is also cost. If I can get a computer and monitor for $2500, that would be ideal. And, I know nothing about say, hooking up or maintaining dual processors. Sure, I could learn. But hte only processors I've looked at are the Pentium 4 3.0, 3.2, and 3.4 GHz with Hyperthreading (NOT Extreme Edition), and the AMDFX-53, AMD 3400, and AMD 3200 (Those are what are available on an Aleinware desktop)

So yeah, what should I do?

PostFri Jun 04, 2004 10:49 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Premiere Pro 1.5 - $249 edu
Get the Athlon 64 FX-53
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 2:14 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Only problem there is that the Alienware Aurora with the AMDFX-53, without a monitor or printer is still $3000. That's with the lowest ram option (1 gig extreeme DDR) a stepped down graphics card, and only a 80 gig HD.

Hence the issue.

PostFri Jun 04, 2004 2:44 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
ok, lemme see if I can find a solution.

try this out.

btw, boxx to my knowlege makes the BEST prefabbed highend workstations on the market. HP in terms of quality is probably runner up. alienware is pussyshit compared.

Last edited by Andromaton on Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
Then go for a lower-end Athlon 64.

64bit over anything.
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 3:59 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
TylerL wrote:
64bit over anything.

Too bad that never helped Atari... Wink
PostFri Jun 04, 2004 4:43 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
yeah, but truthfully they lied about it being 64bit. two 32 proccessors does not equal one 64bit.
PostSat Jun 05, 2004 1:27 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
ok, lemme see if I can find a solution.

try this out.

btw, boxx to my knowlege makes the BEST prefabbed highend workstations on the market. HP in terms of quality is probably runner up. alienware is pussyshit compared.

Why did I think Alienware was topnotch then?

And the Boxx may be high quality, but it'll cost way too much. Really, I need to balence quality and cost. And get a machine that I won't need to upgrade any part of for at least 2 years, hopefully more.

PostSat Jun 05, 2004 2:25 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: