нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Rants of a Japanofile
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Rants of a Japanofile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alshoff

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:

My soul is crying for this counrty, because we are on a spiral downfall and will soon be out technologied by Japan and China, out moneyed by Europe, out atheltisized by Africa, and all around outdone by the rest of hte world. Oh, yeah, and hte Middle East will continue to hate us even long after we stop being bitches to them. And it's stuff like this that helps pour into this downfall.

Those countries/regions you mentioned might seem so great, but all places have their problems.

Although Europe seems fine right now, it has some serious long term problems. Number one is that it can't keep up its massive welfare spending. There just aren't enough people being born to keep the system going. Also, European countries are taking in more immigrants than they can handle (not enough jobs, etc.). Ghettos are forming and crime is beginning to rise.

Japan is also having a problem with its birthrate, but it does not have the same immigration and ghettoization problem of Europe. China has experienced phenomenal growth in recent years, but there is no guarantee that it can be sustained. Real estate prices have actual lowered in several Shanghai, indicating that a crash may occur soon. Plus, China is experiencing some bad environmental consequences of their recent growth (a lot of heavy metals are being shot into their air).

Africa is in shambles. They have either really weak or really corrupt governments. The weak ones don't know what they are doing and the corrupt ones are trying to commit democide against anyone who doesn't support them.
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 6:14 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
Just like I said, you guys dont and wont understand us. In the city I live in, they dont look down on you for say "The "N" word" or any other "bad word" they are already tired of it and dont bother. Not calling anyone racist here but WHITES STARTED IT AND ARE NOW TRYING TO STOP IT BUT CANT. ITS THEIR OWN FAULT FOR GIVING BLACKS THAT NAME. I'm dominican, and I have never in my life heard someone say "spic" to me. THE "N" WORD IS WHAT WE CALL EACH OTHER BECAUSE WE GREW UP HEARING IT. I think you guys need to pay a visit to Lawrence,Massachusetts, they call it the immigrant city but its 85% latino(mostly dominicans and puerto ricans),10% black,3%white,2%asian(mostly cambodian or vietnamese,never met a chinese or japanese person).
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 6:52 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm sorry you had to hear that word growing up. There honestly isn't a reason for that word to still exist. Granted Whites did use the term originally but its still a racist term no matter who uses it. The reason the use of that word has sparked so much debate is because its like a slap in the face to those who worked so hard to have it die.

I realize you say that the use of the word is just like saying "dude" but I guarentee you that if a boss who was white used the word in that manor and then for whatever reason, did not give out a promotion to someone of another race, that race would play the racist card and sue the poor guy.

I find the use of the word by African Americans hypicritical. For a group that seems so relaxed about racist comments between each other, the minute anyone else uses the term, they will call out the NAACP lawyers and break you.

I personally can't wait till the white race is a minority. When that day comes, i'm so gonna play that trump card and make everyone elses life hell, just as mine has been made.
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 9:20 pm
LLG

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:
Just like I said, you guys dont and wont understand us. In the city I live in, they dont look down on you for say "The "N" word" or any other "bad word" they are already tired of it and dont bother. Not calling anyone racist here but WHITES STARTED IT AND ARE NOW TRYING TO STOP IT BUT CANT. ITS THEIR OWN FAULT FOR GIVING BLACKS THAT NAME. I'm dominican, and I have never in my life heard someone say "spic" to me. THE "N" WORD IS WHAT WE CALL EACH OTHER BECAUSE WE GREW UP HEARING IT. I think you guys need to pay a visit to Lawrence,Massachusetts, they call it the immigrant city but its 85% latino(mostly dominicans and puerto ricans),10% black,3%white,2%asian(mostly cambodian or vietnamese,never met a chinese or japanese person).

Ok, first off- since supposedly so little of the population is white, then how ISN'T it an immagrant city? Just because a certain ethnicity there is majority of the residents doesn't change the title of the city. Historically, any city that isn't prodominantly white is considered an "immagrant" city. Secondly- I doubt you know even 1/1000 of the population of the city you live in- therefore, you really have no right to represent them and say "we just don't understand you guys" based off the limited knowledge you apparently have of other people's attitudes towards certain subjects. Third- I highly doubt many of your "nigga" friends would be caught dead watching Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, or DBZ. What makes you think you're the proper person to represent them?
Fourth- Your argument that "WHITES STARTED IT!" a) puts it childishly, b) makes YOU sound ignorant and hatefilled, and c) while it may be true, they stopped calling African-American people that a long time ago. I don't know what generation YOU grew up in, but I was born in the mid- 80's, and I didn't learn that term until I was in highschool.

In short- stop trying to represent people of whom you know nothing of. You may be the same ethnicity as they are you, but that doesn't mean diddly-squat. People always have different ways of handling and dealing with situations- ways that you may not even think of. Even in your city you are just one voice in an ocean of many, many more.
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
LLG wrote:
c) while it may be true, they stopped calling African-American people that a long time ago.

Well the good ones did, anyway...
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:04 pm
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
As hickish as Oklahoma is, I didn't hear the word till African American History month back in 3rd grade. But Nobu is correct; the good people stopped using that term. Oh before anyone can claim that I didn't grow up poor, I'll state for the record that until I was in 8th grade, my family was classified as Section 8. That means poor poor. I grew up in the "Ghetto" and had many black friends and none of them used that word.
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:09 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think that everyone needs to hear the song "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" from teh hit Broadway musical Avenue Q. Now, I hate musicals. But Avenue Q, for those without friends of the Theater persuasion, is basically Sesame Street for adults.

And, as hte title suggests, the song talks about how EVERYONE is at least a little bit racist.

And it's true.

Vegito, you say that Whits started it. That's a racist comment. You are racist.

I'm fine with that.

It just hast to be realized, however, that we aren't all the culprits. Like I said. my linage hails from Itialy and hasn't yet been in the nation 100 years. We had nothing to do with slavery. But I'm "white" and so I'm the enemy. w00t.

One of my best friends is from Jamaca Plains. I know of the area of which you speak. If I walked down the street, I would NOT feel safe.

But if you walked down my street, you would.

The thing is, the N word doesn't CAUSE this. Rap music doesn't CAUSE this. But the image does.

Here's my problem with the N word, and most Rap music. Ready?

The style associated with it causes a "thug" image, which makes pasty ass white kids like me afraid. I see a black guy walk down the street, complete with baggy jeans, huge puffy coat, cocked hat, corn rows, scowl, and cokced walk, and I say "That guy could kick my ass, stab me, and shoot me before I said 'Hi'."

You want to call people a Nigger? Fine. But only your people can use it. It separates people. And for all that we've been trying to overcome over the years, separation is a step in the wrong direction. This whole shitty ass thug image is a step in the wrong direction. I'm an emo kid. I've, honeslty, never been in an actual fight in my life. I see some "thug" looking kids walk down the street? I avoid eye contact, and might even cross the street.

How is this a good thing for our nation?

Its not. You want to be proud of your heritage? You want ot have your own style? You want to have your own cultural quirks? Fine. My people do that too. Hell, The Godfather contains everything you need to know about life. Plus, that's MY people.

But the thug image causes fear, and fear both causes and promotes racism.

And the N word? That does nothing but help.

All I'm saying is that while you may see it as nothing, it's not nothing. It's something.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:23 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
As a brief aside, would Nobuyuki like to recap the discussion up to this point?
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:48 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:

I'm calling it now. Nobu recapping a thread is the next "Gouf strapped to a -" for htis board.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:52 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
Just a quick addon to this great argument, it involves the english language and races.....i'm saying it just to prove how flawed/racist our language can still be...

African-American

...Now by english language "standards" the prefix is where you live, and the suffix is where you came from; that is completely bassackwards than what it's supposed to be. If you live in America then that should go first...

American-African
American-Chinese
American-Italian

....now that i've got that off my chest you may resume your previously mentioned psychobabble....

/rant mode off
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:45 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Your elders and your heritage are more important then you are.

Now whether you believe that or not is up to you. I know I don't. But thats where you get the country coming first. My rant is more a case of not being (insert random country)-American. Its that we are all just plain americans. Unless your first or second generation. Its all pretty much watered down and doesnt matter.
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:

"Popular music... isn't."
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 12:50 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
1)Everyone here is older than me,I am going to be 16 tomorrow I heard that word for the first time when I was in second grade.
2)CP,who is your friend?
3)Tony Montana can beat up anyone from the godfaher.
4)I aint calling anyone here racist,im not even saying anything bad about anyone
5)How much Italian do you know CP?
6)You guys still dont understand that when we say it we dont think of the things you think of, we use it as casually as the word wassup
7)Most of my friends and family watch anime including yu yu hakusho, dbz, and naruto.
8)dont try to guess everyones personality in my city
9)Who knows anything about Lawrence,Mass
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:59 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:

6)You guys still dont understand that when we say it we dont think of the things you think of, we use it as casually as the word wassup

Does anyone actually say "wassup" anymore?

Quote:
9)Who knows anything about Lawrence,Mass

Wikipedia has once again revealed all!

Lawrence, Massachusetts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Lawrence is a city located in Essex County, Massachusetts on the Merrimack River. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 72,043. It and Salem are the county seats of Essex County6.

Manufacturing products of the city include electronic equipment, textiles, footwear, paper products, computers, and foodstuffs. Lawrence was, for a while, the residence of American poet Robert Frost, and was where he published his first poem.

Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Geography
3 Demographics
4 Education
4.1 Community College
4.2 High Schools
4.3 Grammar Schools
5 External links

[edit]
History
Europeans first settled in the area in 1640. The site of the city was purchased in 1845 by a group of Boston industrialists headed by the businessman and congressman Abbott Lawrence, the community's namesake. The city was incorporated in 1853. The industrialists intended to establish textile mills near a source of abundant waterpower. However, working conditions in the factories were unsafe and in 1860 a factory collapsed and killed 88 workers. In 1912 the so-called Bread and Roses strike, one of the major labor actions of American history, began when textile-mill owners increased the speed of factory looms and lowered wages for thousands of women and child workers. The state's National Guard and private and city police were sent in against 23,000 strikers for two months, resulting in numerous deaths and mass arrests. When police and militia assaulted a group of women and children, public outcry helped force mill owners to capitulate. The striking workers won wage increases for themselves and thousands of workers in New England mills. Lawrence was a great wool-processing center until that industry declined in the 1950s.

[edit]
Geography
Lawrence is located at 42°42'13" North, 71°9'47" West (42.703741, -71.162979)1.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 19.2 km² (7.4 mi²). 18.0 km² (7.0 mi²) of it is land and 1.2 km² (0.4 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 6.07% water.

[edit]
Demographics
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 72,043 people, 24,463 households, and 16,903 families residing in the city. The population density is 3,996.5/km² (10,351.4/mi²). There are 25,601 housing units at an average density of 1,420.2/km² (3,678.4/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 48.64% White, 4.88% African American, 0.81% Native American, 2.65% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 36.67% from other races, and 6.25% from two or more races. 59.71% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There are 24,463 households out of which 41.4% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.6% are married couples living together, 25.7% have a female householder with no husband present, and 30.9% are non-families. 25.5% of all households are made up of individuals and 10.0% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.90 and the average family size is 3.46.

In the city the population is spread out with 32.0% under the age of 18, 11.1% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 16.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.8% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 30 years. For every 100 females there are 91.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 86.8 males.

The median income for a household in the city is $27,983, and the median income for a family is $31,809. Males have a median income of $27,772 versus $23,137 for females. The per capita income for the city is $13,360. 24.3% of the population and 21.2% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 31.7% of those under the age of 18 and 20.1% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

[edit]
Education
[edit]
Community College
Northern Essex Community College
[edit]
High Schools
Central Catholic High School
Lawrence High
[edit]
Grammar Schools
St. Patrick's School
Weather Bee
South Lawrence East

PostThu Jul 14, 2005 2:10 pm
LLG

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:

Doesn't change the fact that it still is a racist term that came from a racist term.

Vegito1471 wrote:

8)dont try to guess everyones personality in my city

You should take your own advice.
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 4:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: