нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Oreos to be banned?!?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Oreos to be banned?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Oreos to be banned?!?
Kids in California may have to give up their Oreos, if a lawsuit filed by a San Francisco public interest lawyer is successful.

The lawsuit, filed last week in Marin County superior court, seeks a ban on the black and white cookies, arguing the trans fats that make the filling creamy and the cookie crisp are too dangerous for children to eat.

Stephen Joseph said he filed the suit against Nabisco, the maker of Oreos, after reading articles that said the artificial fat is hidden in most packaged food, though consumers have no way of knowing.

The big difference between this suit and others that have targeted tobacco and McDonald's fast food is that consumers know that tobacco is bad for their health and that McDonald's food contains a lot of fat, Joseph said.

"Trans fat is not the same thing at all. Very few people know about it," he said, explaining that his suit focuses on the fact that trans fats are hidden dangers being marketed to children.

Nabisco officials were not immediately available for comment. They have 30 days from the May 5 filing date to respond to the suit.

The National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, which advises the government on health policy, said last summer that this kind of fat should not be consumed at all. It is directly associated with heart disease and with LDL cholesterol, the 'bad' kind that accumulates in arteries.

But the U.S. Department of Agriculture said partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which contain trans fats, are present in about 40 percent of the food on grocery store shelves. Cookies, crackers, and microwave popcorn are the biggest carriers of trans fats, which are created when hydrogen is bubbled through oil to produce a margarine that doesn't melt at room temperature and increases the product's shelf life.

The Food and Drug Administration has tried to force food companies to list trans fat content with other nutritional information on food packages, but manufacturers have challenged the rule. Even food labeled "low in cholesterol" or "low in saturated fats" may have high percentages of trans fats.

Informing customers about trans fats on food labels could prevent 7,600 to 17,100 cases of coronary heart disease and 2,500 to 5,600 deaths per year, the FDA has estimated.

Joseph said he has targeted Nabisco because, while other major snack food makers have reduced the amount of trans fats in their products, Nabisco has not.
PostTue May 13, 2003 1:03 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
heh, I was going to post this only I would have the title "it's about goddamned time" oreo's are the nasteiest substance found on this earth I'ld rather eat gafilta fish smeared between two necco wafers than an oreo.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostTue May 13, 2003 1:02 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
BLASPHEMER, HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE THE NAME OF OREO!

*keeps eating fatty cookies "cookie monster style"*
PostTue May 13, 2003 1:13 pm
Saiyoukai1015

Post subject:
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! not the oreos!!!! they kick ass, I'm eating a package as we speak!
PostTue May 13, 2003 3:04 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
BLASPHEMER, HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE THE NAME OF OREO!

*keeps eating fatty cookies "cookie monster style"*

there is nothing about the oreo that I like. even the smell makes me want to vomit (I'm not exagerating)

PostTue May 13, 2003 8:18 pm
Green-Bird

Veteran

Post subject:
THE B****** WHO DID THAT WILL BURN IN THE FLAMES OF SAURON!!

How can they do that?

They may have fat in them, but don't we all?
I know I will die if I could come back new

Wilco- Ashes of American Flags
PostWed May 14, 2003 1:58 pm
Beatdiggga

Obsessor

Post subject:
They're gonna throw that suit out so fast...
PostWed May 14, 2003 1:59 pm
SlimJim

Veteran

Post subject:

The creamy goodness shall not be defiled! *Sends wave after wave of spicy beef snacks to conquer the law office*
PostWed May 14, 2003 2:04 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Are you people stupid or just kidding around. So you think it's a good idea that Nabesco has been cramming unhealthy, potentially fatal materials down your gullet? I feel quite outraged. And no one said they had to be taken off the market, just given a different chemical that doesn't kill you. Even if it were just oreos, it's not like it's the end of the snack food world.
PostWed May 14, 2003 4:40 pm
Gerbera345

Post subject:
But Oreos are one of them national cool foods, like...that other stuff, I frankly don't care that they are bad for me, odds are most everything we eat has something potentially fatal in it.
PostWed May 14, 2003 5:07 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
That's it. I'm tired of people telling me that my favorite foods are going to kill me. From now on, I'm sticking to my diet of Soylent Green. Nothing in that can kill me. (although their children might)
PostWed May 14, 2003 5:29 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
NOOOOOOOOO OREO!
PostWed May 14, 2003 6:06 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
Are you people stupid or just kidding around. So you think it's a good idea that Nabesco has been cramming unhealthy, potentially fatal materials down your gullet? I feel quite outraged. And no one said they had to be taken off the market, just given a different chemical that doesn't kill you. Even if it were just oreos, it's not like it's the end of the snack food world.

That's my sentiments exactly. Besides I can bet you Oreo's were originally made with something else but the deadly fat came along as was cheaper to use so BAM! they started poisoning all of you.

PostWed May 14, 2003 7:14 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
EVERYTHING can kill you if you eat too much of it. Hence the saying "too much of a good thing."

BUT, I had no clue Oreos had deadly fats in them. Fankly, I don't have a stance on this one. I'm just waiting for the convo to turn to aerodynamics and then WHAMO I'm in.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed May 14, 2003 7:42 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: