нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Choose JJc14's [Gaming] Destiny - Part II
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Choose JJc14's [Gaming] Destiny - Part II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What game should I play next?
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Musashi: Samurai Legend
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Obligatory 'Gouf' Option / "Dude, get a girlfriend already..."
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject: Choose JJc14's [Gaming] Destiny - Part II
Almost three years ago, I played a PS1 RPG called The Granstream Saga and finished it way ahead of schedule, far before considering what game to play next. To make the process easier, I let the masses decide what to do, and all was well in the universe...

Fast-forward to the present, and the situation is basically reversed. I recently completed Chrono Cross after a six-month struggle and was left so underwhelmed by the overall experience that I'm feeling a bit disillusioned toward the genre as a whole. This has happened before though, and the typical remedy is to ease myself back into things through a simpler, shorter, action-oriented RPG. Of course, when you have as many games as I do, limiting options to a single choice is downright impossible...

This is where you guys come in. Just like last time, I've limited my options to three PS2 titles. If you've played any of them before and want to recommend one, go ahead and do so. If you haven't heard of any of them, but one name sounds cooler than the others, that's fine too. If you seriously don't care at all, you have the the Gouf/joke option, though when that one wins, I'll just pick the second-place choice...

I'll leave the poll up for five days so I can start up the winner Sunday. Thanks for helping out!

---
The thought process:

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Reviews completely slammed this game. I mean DECIMATED it. From what I understand, it isn't really even an RPG, but Vincent was my favorite character in Final Fantasy VII, so I felt compelled to pick it up anyway...

Musashi: Samurai Legend - Another Square-Enix game that sorta vanished shortly after release. I loved the first game (Brave Fencer Musashi on the PS1), and even used the Fusion dagger from that game on my Fight Thread character on these forums back in the day. That said, I'm a bit down on gaming sequels at the moment...

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim - While the Lunar series was the major highlight of the Sega CD console, the Ys series was one of the few games that could sell a Turbo-Graphx 16 way back when. I've been eager to try one out, and the screenshots give me vibes of Alundra, one of my favorite PS1 RPGs that no one's heard of...
---

Now to see how long it takes someone to call me out for what I said about Chrono Cross...
PostMon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Choose JJc14's [Gaming] Destiny - Part II
JJc14 wrote:

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim - While the Lunar series was the major highlight of the Sega CD console, the Ys series was one of the few games that could sell a Turbo-Graphx 16 way back when. I've been eager to try one out, and the screenshots give me vibes of Alundra, one of my favorite PS1 RPGs that no one's heard of...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wink
PostMon Aug 13, 2007 5:23 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Choose JJc14's [Gaming] Destiny - Part II
Nobuyuki wrote:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :wink:

Well, I'd say owning the game is half the battle, right? =)
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 9:46 am
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
And the other half is killing those Commie B******s DEAD!
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:07 am
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dirge of Cerberus is a joke compared to what it imitates
Musashi is nowhere near as good as the original
Ys is ok if you don't have ANY other Action RPG option

Option 5: Start browsing Youtube for videos of games until you find one you like....
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
I nominate "Destroy All Humans"
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 9:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
FinalDivineDragoon wrote:
Option 5: Start browsing Youtube for videos of games until you find one you like....
The chance of seeing spoilers is far too high. I'll put you down for a Ys. vote though...

Beefy wrote:
I nominate "Destroy All Humans"
I currently have over 130 PS2 games and you go and pick one NOT in my collection. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or depressed...
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 9:47 am
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
I currently have over 130 PS2 games and you go and pick one NOT in my collection. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or depressed...

Yeah. I vote Option 4.

However, I must ask this about your collection- do you have any Gran Turismo or Hot Shots Golf games in said massive collection?
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 9:57 pm
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
Hmm.... I didn't really care for the Ys PS2 demo I played a few years ago(felt like a poor man's Zelda....1), but it might be different for you. It would probably be better than the rest on your list, though...

On another note, did you ever check out Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria(PS2)? I'm still wading through it, but it's pretty fun.

As for your comment on Chrono Cross, I'd have to agree with you for the most part. The ending was pretty good, but they did absolutely nothing with the original Chrono Trigger characters. What the heck? My time with it was almost the reverse of your's, though. I despised the battle system at first, so I didn't touch it for about 4 months. After that, the story hooked me enough(and the music, of course) to slog through it within a month. Besides, a game where your first party member is a pink dog can't be all bad, right?
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 9:53 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:
However, I must ask this about your collection- do you have any Gran Turismo or Hot Shots Golf games in said massive collection?
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec was a recent rescue from a clearance bin. I own Hot Shots Golf 3 and Hot Shots Golf Fore!, both being gifts from a friend, and while I don't own the final release of Gran Turismo 4, without getting into too much detail, I was involved with some beta testing of said game and allowed to keep that disk...

Gundam0084 wrote:
On another note, did you ever check out Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria(PS2)? I'm still wading through it, but it's pretty fun.
Since I never managed to track down the first installment on PS1, I sorta let the second game pass me by. The series sounds cool, but I'm always wary of overbearing time restrictions in RPGs, as I prefer to take my time and explore areas in great detail...
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 10:05 am
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
The first one(Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth) is currently availible on the PSP(really hard to find on the PS1). Only the first game had the time restriction, and it's really not that bad. You only use up time when entering dungeons or towns(and you usually have more than enough to waste most of the time). It doesn't tick down or anything while you're exploring, though(you just use 1 or 2 points of it when entering a town or dungeon). As for Silmeria, it has no time restrictions that I've seen so far(it's a prequel to Lenneth, and you actually play as a Valkyrie that made a brief cameo in that game).
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, polls are closed, and after adding the AIM vote, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim gets the close win 3-2-2. It's obvious the next time I do this, I'll need to pick games that people have actually heard of, but thanks to those who participated!
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: