нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Donald Trump scraps "Freedom Tower" design.
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Donald Trump scraps "Freedom Tower" design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Donald Trump scraps "Freedom Tower" design.
Trump announces a plan to rebuild the WTC.

Very soon Trump will be revealing a model of his vision for the NY skyline. His plan is to build the towers bigger, stonger, and more beautiful. While cetainly giving terrorists another target, one can make a case for the need to regain our economic vitality and stick our tounges out at would-be terrorists.

Earlier last month he lambasted the Freedom Tower designer. To quote him: "The design for the Freedom Tower is an egghead design, designed by an egghead, which has no practical application and which, frankly, didn't look very good."

Quote:
Donald Trump, escalating his war against the "empty skeleton" Freedom Tower, will offer his own design for a rebuilt 111-story "World Trade Center" at Ground Zero at a press conference tomorrow.

"We have a beautiful model that has been built, a very big model," Trump told The Post yesterday.

"We took the original World Trade Center design, brought it into the modern age, made it more beautiful than ever before, made it one story taller, made it higher lined, and took out the architectural weaknesses that were there.

"We also strengthened the building internally so that what happened on 9/11 could never happen again," Trump added.

Trump, who made international news earlier this month when he told The Post that Gov. Pataki should scrap the Freedom Tower plan in favor of rebuilding the WTC towers one story taller, said he expected the public to rally behind his proposal.

"I hope the reaction from the public will cause the political establishment to do what everyone wants to be done, rebuild the World Trade Center, taller and stronger," he said.

Trump said his new WTC will be more aesthetically interesting than the old one.

"Some people thought it was too monolithic. We've put on a higher lined curtain wall, which will make the exterior much more vivid and beautiful," Trump said.

Pataki said last week that he plans to unveil the new Freedom Tower design next month, after it has been modified to meet NYPD security concerns.

Ground Zero developer Larry Silverstein, who is having Freedom Tower architect David Childs revamp his original design, could not be reached for comment.

In an interview with The Post earlier this month, Trump ripped Ground Zero master planner Daniel Libeskind.

"The design for the Freedom Tower is an egghead design, designed by an egghead, which has no practical application and which, frankly, didn't look very good," Trump said at the time.

"I've gotten great reviews on my buildings. I'm somebody who believes strongly in great architecture, and this [the Freedom Tower] was a design that is just not a good design," he added.

Trump, meanwhile, said he had become all the more convinced of the need to rebuild the WTC during a recent flight to New York.

"I was flying over the Statue of Liberty, and I said to myself, 'You know, if that ever came down, they wouldn't replace it with something that didn't look like the Statue of Liberty.'

"To replace the World Trade Center with a skeleton of all things is the worst thing in the world, it's replacing it with an inferior product."

Trump said he had a "huge" reaction to his initial proposal to dump the Freedom Tower, receiving over 1,000 letters in support of rebuilding the WTC.

He said he expected an even greater public response when he unveils the new model.

Thoughts?
PostTue May 17, 2005 10:37 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
As the New York Post is part of Rupert Murdoch's wonderful little empire, I'd take anything like this coming from it with a brick of salt.

That said, Freedom Tower sucks. Plain and simple. Most of the other finalists for the WTC replacement were awesome, yet the second most conservative design was chosen (there was one that featured two relatively short towers that looked kinda like the Empire State Building... I give them credit for not picking that one). When you look at developing cities in Asia, you see buildings with crazy, innovative, and awesome designs. Here in the US, we get more boxes, sometimes with a few TV/radio towers on the roof.

Look up Dubai for the best example. And the tower known as Burj Dubai, which is supposed to be the tallest building in the world when it's finished.

Other cities with skylines that make most US ones look generic and bland (Transamerica Pyramid and SF being one of the few exceptions): Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, Shenzen, Guangzhou, and Tokyo, among others.

Go Trump. If the Post isn't blowing smoke out its arse.
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:35 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
my favorite newscaster Keith Olbermann presented an idea a few days ago that i thought was cool...taken from his blog:

Excerpts from COUNTDOWN's Keith Olbermann wrote:
They were just a few feet tall and not even as solidly constructed as the old architectural models my father would sometimes bring home from the office for me when I was a kid - but they affected me in a way I never would have imagined.

The towers of The World Trade Center.

They were in our studios yesterday, plastic recreations of the originals, dragged in by groups who are taking advantage of the security concerns about the planned “Freedom Tower� to push the simple idea that the best way to memorialize the victims and restore the community is to re-build the towers exactly as they stood until three and a half years ago.

They're absolutely right - with one minor caveat. One of the towers should be exactly 229 feet, four inches shorter than the other. I'll explain why in a bit.

[...memories of his past work inside the WTC...]

But I'd forgotten about the rightness of putting the Trade Center back where it stood. Forgotten it, until I saw that model yesterday, and it all came back to me.

The “Freedom Tower� design wasn't somebody trying to be disrespectful; it was just the unavoidable project of an architectural trend in which everything must look like somebody just built it with a kid's erector set. The Hearst/Conde Nast building is just getting finished not far from my home, and it's that same style: Attach Beam A to Side Support B, Tap Support B with a pen to make sure it sounds as tinny as it looks.

But it was wrong.

The best way - the only way - to further soothe the pain is, as the proponents including Donald Trump are suggesting, to rebuild it as it was. Which brings me to my caveat.

I'd use the original blueprints and design the “new� Trade Center exactly as it had been. But I'd insist that one of the towers be exactly 229 feet, four inches shorter than the other. It's an uncomplicated gimmick to guarantee remembrance. Because, as long as these new towers would stand, someone unaware would ask, “why is one of them shorter than the other?� Whereupon an old-timer could explain, solemnly, that the difference between the heights of the towers is intentional - it's exactly 2,752 inches.

One inch for each of the victims.

It's all the memorial we really need.

Full Article
PostWed May 18, 2005 9:50 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: