нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - How Do You Watch Your Anime?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
How Do You Watch Your Anime?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Watch Your Anime?
Traditional TV Format (About one episode per week)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
DVD Release/Weeknight TV Format (3-5 episodes per week, broken up into multiple viewings)
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Marathon/Taped Format (Entire series available and completed in a few sittings)
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Obligatory 'Gouf' Option / "I don't watch any animation..."
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject: How Do You Watch Your Anime?
Inspired by an AIM chat with fdd, I pose the following to the Infolink community:

Before torrents and TiVo took off, most of us had to rely on television and DVD release schedules to get in our cartoon fix. This led to the two most common ways to watch a series: week-by-week (which usually meant one episode a week), or a handful at a time (most DVDs have 3-5 episodes a disk, and some television blocks like Toonami pre-2004 would run up to five eps per week). If someone collected an entire series, it could be marathoned all at once or in a few large chunks, but this practice wasn't really big until the ease of downloading or recording shows came into its own. Getting entire series with just a few mouse/remote clicks is admittedly a lot easier than having to borrow DVDs from others or set up times to watch them, and the prospect of having future episodes on one's hard drive/DVR/etc. typically leads to flying through episodes at a faster rate...

Now that we've all lived in this modern era for a few years, the question is simple: How do you watch your anime? I'm not asking about one's preference, just how you most commonly go about watching it now...

Me and fdd's exchange from AIM:
---
finaldragoon77: i'm just tired of how anime is aired on tv
finaldragoon77: 30 minutes once a week is not how you're supposed to watch it
Aer0fan14: um...
Aer0fan14: isn't that how they dish it out in japan?
finaldragoon77: yeah but they don't mind
Aer0fan14: so thirty minutes a week would be exactly how you're supposed to watch it
Aer0fan14: =)
finaldragoon77: but look at it this way
finaldragoon77: if they stretch a story arc over 30 episodes
finaldragoon77: that's 30 weeks
finaldragoon77: over 6 months
finaldragoon77: whereas
finaldragoon77: if you had all of it on dvd
finaldragoon77: you could just sit down and watch it all in a day
finaldragoon77: that way
finaldragoon77: it's easier to remember everything
finaldragoon77: but of course you'd have to watch the annoying "let's spend the first 5 minutes of each episode going over what happened last week" junk
Aer0fan14: i guess i've just gotten used to the traditional format
Aer0fan14: seeing the episodes one at a time and having time to reflect on each
Aer0fan14: trying to figure out how things will develop before the next ep airs
Aer0fan14: that's part of why i don't typically put more than 2-3 hours into an rpg over the course of any one day
Aer0fan14: gives me some time to figure things out and maybe catch something i would've passed right over otherwise
Aer0fan14: but to each his own
---
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
After all the sweet Right Stuf sales, I still have a couple of box sets to finish watching.

It is certainly more fun to watch anime in groups. That means either marathon runs in one big setting or several small settings. Of course anime club shows two episodes a week for a semester, but I usually watch my shows 5-6 episodes at a time and pretty rapidly.
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 10:00 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
There was a time when I would watch a 26 episode series on DVD over the course of 1-2 days.

Now I just watch things as they air on TV once a week. Not live TV, instead I Tivo it and skip through the commercials.
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
I don't mind stretching the story out over 6-7 weeks(box set), or even a few months(Haruhi). I don't usually go for new series on DVD, though(especially if they're more than 4 volumes long). That's what box sets are for. As for TV style, I don't mind. I actually enjoy having something new to look forward to every week(I think it worked particularly well for Eureka Seven).
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 11:38 am
Megagents

Post subject:
Just to let you guys know, I no longer use the term anime or manga. So online I say cartoons or Japanese cartoons.

I like to watch Japanese cartoons dubbed, I have no problem with it.
PostThu Nov 15, 2007 9:53 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: