нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - ZOMG Jack Thompson interview!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
ZOMG Jack Thompson interview!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject: ZOMG Jack Thompson interview!
I had to share with the class, in case anyone else missed this. Brian Clevenger has written quite a bit on the subject, and so have VGCats and and Control Alt Delete.
Anyone who's ever listened to this man for more than five minutes knows he's insane, inconsitancies, and chock full of more logical fallacies than a George Bush speech.
I thought the best part though is how he kept saying there are 455 members of congress. Way to pass high school government, jackass.

Last edited by John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 am
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
I thought the best part though is how he kept saying there are 455 members of congress. Way to pass high school government, jackass.

Well I can't say much on that... I forgot how many there are Sad. And yeah... he is pretty crazy...
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 7:34 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Chibi_Zero wrote:
Quote:

Well I can't say much on that... I forgot how many there are Sad. And yeah... he is pretty crazy...

If memory serves me . . . 538. That's house and Senate combined.

Neither has 455 though. The senate has 2 for each state (100 total.) So either this guy knows about some mythical congress that we don't, or he's no educated on his statistics.

(P.S.: I HEART BRIAN CLEVENGER.)

EDIT:

Just read the emails back and forth between Jacko and the VGCats creator. ( http://www.vgcats.com/jack.php ) Now, I don't normally read VGcats. I have my three webcomics (Megatokyo, MacHall, 8-bit Theater) and it slowly expands outwards (Starting to read Penny Arcade.) so I just never got into VGCats. But there was a link to that from Mac Hall.

Read it.

Seriously, some of his responses are worse than the 12 year olds we get here. I literally would have handled the situation better when I was 15. It's enough to say that I would handle it more like the VGCats guy now, and I'm 19. I would handle this better than a NATIONALLY KNOWN LAWYER. HIS JOB IS TO BE GOOD WITH VERBIAGE AND LOGIC.

Bloody hell our lawyers suck . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 11:08 am
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
335 in the house, by the way. He made up twenty representatives.
Anyway, I was a bit too angry to write at length last night. Maybe later today.
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 12:15 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
435 reps, John.
100 senators.
3 token DC seatwarmers.

538 electoral votes. Wink
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 12:53 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
But the DC guys still aren't congressman, right?
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 3:13 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
No, and I stand corrected as to their number (1).
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 4:58 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
Jack Thompson = Terrorist

If you need me to explain it, then you fail at common sense.
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
In the beggining of the interview I actually don't have a problem with his whole viewpoint. First time I played GTA even before the Hot Coffee scandle I thought that no one under 17 should be playing that game. The driving physics are fun as hell as is running from cops and crashing cars. But when you throw in being having missions that involve killing innocent bystanders and going around killing random people for fun that is AO. Hot Coffee is just another nail in the coffin.

As for the link to violent video games and kids who commit violence I think that if a kid can obsess over a game for hours or weeks or months with unsuitable content and not be told the game is wrong, then how do they know commiting the act is wrong depicted in the game is wrong. A parent that doesn't get involved in their kid during their play is probably not very involved in gereral and that is what leads to bad consequences.
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 5:35 pm
Laughingman

Post subject:
If you haven't heard of it already Jack Thompson recently reached new levels of crazy when he started attacking AIM icons, granted it was a prticularly unflattering one. Here's the story: Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Jack Thompson has made crusades recently against Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Sims 2, and Killer 7. While the latter two of his suits are questionable in validity, it's safe to say that his attacks are relegated only to the video games, and then only to those that have supposed 'offensive content,' right?

Wrong.

Apparently, in between his fight against violent video games, he fights against the likes of AIM Buddy Icons. Yes, you read that right. AIM Buddy Icons. Amidst the multiple amusing, laugh-inducing, and sometimes plain strange buddy icons wisely available around the internet, Jack Thompson somehow found the one that featured himself (take a gander at it here). It was posted at a site, BadassBuddy, which is an affiliate of Bolt.com itself. Well, obviously a Buddy Icon is something to be totally terrified of, so Thompson wasted no time in calling the New York offices of Bolt.com, asking to speak to their legal counsel. Instead, the president of Bolt.com returned Thompson's call, and promised to tell the people who run BadassBuddy to remove the buddy icon; and removed it was, in a prompt fashion. Clearly, this should signal the end of such a ridiculous case, right?

Wrong again.

Before BadassBuddy removed the Buddy Icon, Thompson had already called the NYPD to investigate and arrest the ones responsible for the heinous act. Even after it was removed (which should have marked the conclusion of this claim), Thompson continued to press the NYPD into arresting these 'criminals.' Let me reiterate that these supposed 'criminals' did nothing but make an AIM Buddy Icon.

Can you even be charged for a "crime" like that?

Source

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5446
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 7:33 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
All this grand theft auto crap is nonsense, ITS JUST A GAME. I know killing people is wrong and so does anyone 4 and up. Anyone under 4 cant even play video games and actually act out what they see. Unless there are 12 year olds that dont know killing people is wrong. I grew up with my parents not tellin me anything about "bad video games" and people dont see me shootin random people in the streets. Just remember that, its just a game its not real. Of course your gonna have your occassional lunatic that does somethin stupid but its not world war 3.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 11:43 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:
All this grand theft auto crap is nonsense, ITS JUST A GAME. I know killing people is wrong and so does anyone 4 and up. Anyone under 4 cant even play video games and actually act out what they see. Unless there are 12 year olds that dont know killing people is wrong. I grew up with my parents not tellin me anything about "bad video games" and people dont see me shootin random people in the streets. Just remember that, its just a game its not real. Of course your gonna have your occassional lunatic that does somethin stupid but its not world war 3.

You actually don't realize how much of what you see affects you. Its easiest to believe that you are impenitrable and that none of hte violence or images you see affect any aspect of you.

But this isn't the case.

EVERYTHING that you see, encounter, and experience, EVERYONE that you have ever met, no matter how short or how long, affects WHO YOU ARE. We are shped by our surroundings, and in a constant state of evolving self. If you play GTA for 2 hours a day for 3 months, assuming you're awakw for 16 hours of that day (we'll say 8 hours for sleep), that means that 1/8, or 12.5% of your life for those 3 moths are taken up by images of Sex, Violence, reckless endangerment, AND the "coolness" of the characters (the way they talk, the way the act, etc.)

Yes. It affects you. Period. It's a scientific FACT.

I'm not saying that it makes you into a serial killer. Not at all. But the thing is that people develop the MOST before they are 18. Meaning that 12.5% of their days would affect someone pre-18 MUCH more than it would affect someone post-18.

I love video games. I love anime. I love movies like Blade and Kiss of the Dragon. But there are certain things I would not let my kids touch until they are of certain age. I think that a law SHOULD be put into place so that a minor cannot buy an M or AO video game without a parent present.

Note: The parent can still buy and allow the kid to play said game. But such a thing would make more parents stop and think "Should I really be buying my kid THIS game if they're telling me it's for mature audiences?

I know that I would have gotten M games once I was around 14 or 15. But I don't think I needed them earlier than that.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 1:53 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Vegito1471 wrote:

You actually don't realize how much of what you see affects you. Its easiest to believe that you are impenitrable and that none of hte violence or images you see affect any aspect of you.

But this isn't the case.

EVERYTHING that you see, encounter, and experience, EVERYONE that you have ever met, no matter how short or how long, affects WHO YOU ARE. We are shped by our surroundings, and in a constant state of evolving self. If you play GTA for 2 hours a day for 3 months, assuming you're awakw for 16 hours of that day (we'll say 8 hours for sleep), that means that 1/8, or 12.5% of your life for those 3 moths are taken up by images of Sex, Violence, reckless endangerment, AND the "coolness" of the characters (the way they talk, the way the act, etc.)

I'm not saying that it makes you into a serial killer. Not at all. But the thing is that people develop the MOST before they are 18. Meaning that 12.5% of their days would affect someone pre-18 MUCH more than it would affect someone post-18.

I love video games. I love anime. I love movies like Blade and Kiss of the Dragon. But there are certain things I would not let my kids touch until they are of certain age. I think that a law SHOULD be put into place so that a minor cannot buy an M or AO video game without a parent present.

Note: The parent can still buy and allow the kid to play said game. But such a thing would make more parents stop and think "Should I really be buying my kid THIS game if they're telling me it's for mature audiences?

I know that I would have gotten M games once I was around 14 or 15. But I don't think I needed them earlier than that.

Yes it does affect me and everyone else but It does not mean we will act out what we see.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 3:57 pm
Ixidor

Veteran

Post subject:
Vegito1471 wrote:
counterparadox wrote:
Vegito1471 wrote:

But this isn't the case.

Yes it does affect me and everyone else but It does not mean we will act out what we see.

Who's this "we" crap? I beat GTA: SA and want to go kill cops and sleep with hookers then kill them and become the serial killer known as "The Mustache Killer" As I will leave a mustacthe behind at every crime scene!!!

It does effect you... And every action in your life is effected by every other action in your life before said action. You may/will act differntly if you never played that video game.
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 9:38 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: