нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - The Boondocks
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
The Boondocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Boondocks Offensive???
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 17

TheMilkJunkie

Post subject: The Boondocks
fell in love with the Boondocks... was my favorite comic strip and now its one of my favorite shows... wonderng how you felt and if youre as offended as you should be Laughing could never get enough of Huey and Riley but i dont like Uncle Rukus... get on my nerves that sick lil white supremacist.

has anyone read the actual comic strip lately... cuz King Kong and Racism are so very related Razz

PostTue Jan 03, 2006 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Sure it's offensive. It glorifies a street/gangsta/urban/hip-hip way of living, talking, and general stupidity. Supposedly the kid with the afro is counterweight to that, but he ends up doing some weird stuff, which cancels out anything good he actually says or does.

That said, it's also an excellent show in terms of production values. It doesn't feel like your average low-budget Adult Swim show (foreign cartoons excluded)- it feels more like a cartoon from the early 90's, with an actual animation budget and attention to detail. Only W.I.T.C.H on Toon Disney seems to be an American cartoon produced recently with quality work. Now if CN or some other channel could make something less "urban" (culture-wise, and yes, I realize the show is set in the burbs) with the same high quality animation as the Boondocks, the world would be a better place. But I'm not counting on it.

**The opinions expressed in this post are those of the poster. The poster realizes that opinions on culture and animation differ from person to person. This rant may be used to identify the poster as a moron, lame, metro, racist, or crazy, but those labels may not actually apply.
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 3:34 pm
TheMilkJunkie

Post subject:
nonononono im not gonna condemn you for that!!!

i think its supposed to be satire... you know to get people not to be like that... i know im black and half the stuff they say is so outrageous but when i look outside i know theres a good chance that 3 out of the 4 guys i meet on the street have similar opinons even tho its kinda stupid... its really funny cuz i know people that are staunch black supremacists (like Huey), stupid wannabe gangsters (like Riley), crazy OGs (like Robert), black wannabe white guys (like the lawyer whose name i forget), and last but not least black guys that are white supremacists (like uncle Rukus)... its really weird if you dont know where its coming from but its all based of of true stuff which is why it has such an effect on me.

oops i went on a race rant... my bad

show kicks ass tho
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
*SHRUG* I'm whiter than snow and I think the show's hysterical.

It's not even the "race" related stuff that entertains me so. It's everything else. The whole Ho bit was so gloriously well done.

"Look, all women are HOs."
"Riley, not all women are hos. Twenty, twenty fiver percent, tops."
"Then why do I got ta pay to take them out to dinner?"
"I don't know Riley, that's just the way things are. It's just what we do."
"But I'm PAYIN. That makes her a HO. I might as well giver her the money and have her go buy her groceries!"

Honestly, it's a funny though. He has a point. Granted, I don't agree. I mean, I have a girlfriend and feel uncomfortable if she pays for dinner. Just because, for some odd reason, I feel I should pay.

So I feel like I'm allowed to laugh. Because it's FUNNY. And I'll defend to the death my right to laugh at it because, again, it's FUNNY. I just think the show has a lost of character

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 6:45 pm
TheMilkJunkie

Post subject:
whatd you think of that comic... that was in the news about 3 days ago... the comic is as funny as the show!!!
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 7:02 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
TheMilkJunkie wrote:
nonononono im not gonna condemn you for that!!!

i think its supposed to be satire... you know to get people not to be like that... i know im black and half the stuff they say is so outrageous but when i look outside i know theres a good chance that 3 out of the 4 guys i meet on the street have similar opinons even tho its kinda stupid... its really funny cuz i know people that are staunch black supremacists (like Huey), stupid wannabe gangsters (like Riley), crazy OGs (like Robert), black wannabe white guys (like the lawyer whose name i forget), and last but not least black guys that are white supremacists (like uncle Rukus)... its really weird if you dont know where its coming from but its all based of of true stuff which is why it has such an effect on me.
show kicks ass tho

Same here, Im not black though I'm dominican and live in a deep ghetto environment.
3.Yu Yu Hakusho
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 8:18 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I don't get hte comic strip in my paper, but when I HAVE read it, I've enjoyed it. I don't think the one you posted above is that funny, but I do see the point it is trying to make. It's not offensive at all. Not if you look at it the way it's meant to be looked at.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 12:13 am
TheMilkJunkie

Post subject:
yeah... the show is weird tho to me ... i must say as good as it is and as much as i love it... i like the comic strip better.... i think ima go out and buy a compilation book
PostThu Jan 05, 2006 1:32 am
FillX

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:
Sure it's offensive. It glorifies a street/gangsta/urban/hip-hip way of living, talking, and general stupidity. Supposedly the kid with the afro is counterweight to that, but he ends up doing some weird stuff, which cancels out anything good he actually says or does.

Holy Christ it's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders....
You are so freaking right. I also live in brooklyn like *ahem* milkjunkie here...and yes black...and I believe that the show is real disappointment...
The main person, the heavy stone who was supposed to even out everything in the show, Mr.Huey!....never really did. His presence and actions aren't that strong when expressed through the series. He just falls right in place with the other misfits....
But IF....milkjunkie was right on his theory that the show is just a satire, to try to get black people away from the stereotypical image.....in my opinion it's not working.
You think the 17 year old gangster who loves watching AS because of the boondocks is "REALLY" going get the message of what the show is trying to give to young black males.
If about 75% of black people believe that 50 cent is a popular role model
(count out 20% for fairness) you think mr OG is going to get the point......mehhhhh not RLY!

AND No I'm not a wannabe be white guy "like the lawyer."
I think all people are crap...and the rest..and blah blah blah.
(lol...why did you call him a wannabe white guy...a well educated black guy with a decent job, kind, never did nothing wrong in his life is now a white wannabe....lol....the amount of "wiggas" these days, no one should be really saying that.)
PostSat Jan 07, 2006 7:34 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
Adult Swim has given the greenlight for a second season of The Boondocks, the new hit series from creator Aaron McGruder, based on his award-winning comic strip of the same name. The network has ordered 20 new episodes of the series, which is produced by McGruder's production company, Rebel Base, in association with Sony Pictures Television.

Called "brilliantly funny" and "a water cooler series that lives up to the hype," the series made its premiere on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2005. It ranked as the best series premiere in Adult Swim history, and has consistently ranked among the top programs on basic cable each week among young adult viewers. This month, The Boondocks was nominated for an NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Comedy Series.

New episodes are expected on Adult Swim in late 2006. Ten episodes of the initial 15-episode orderhave already aired this season. "Thank God for The Boondocks and Aaron McGruder," said Mike Lazzo, Cartoon Network's Senior Vice President of Programming and Production, responsible for Adult Swim.

"Adult Swim's passion for this show has been evident from day one, and we're thrilled to be on this journey together. Aaron has created a group of amazing characters that tell entertaining and thought provoking stories, and we are so grateful to have found the perfect home for them," said Zack Van Amburg, Co-President of Programming and Production for Sony Pictures Television.

In The Boondocks, when Robert "Granddad" Freeman becomes legal guardian of his rambunctious grandkids, he moves from the south side of Chicago to the quiet and safety of "The Boondocks" (in this case, suburban Woodcrest), hoping that he can ignore them altogether and enjoy the fourth quarter of his life in peace. But Huey, a 10-year-old left wing revolutionary, is determined not to enjoy the affluence of suburbia. This attitude is seconded by his 8-year-old brother, Riley, a proud product of contemporary rap culture. Although they torture each other and provoke the neighborhood, they are no match for Granddad, who is eccentric even by "crazy-ass-old-black-man" standards.

Well, that was quick.

Source: Toon Zone
PostThu Jan 26, 2006 12:51 am
TheMilkJunkie

Post subject:
wow 20 eps!!! go Aaron. when will the other 5 eps air?
PostSun Feb 05, 2006 9:06 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
TheMilkJunkie wrote:

New episodes start up again this Sunday.

If you haven't seen the preview for this episode yet (the promo aired after Inuyasha tonight), it appears to be another action anime parody episode. It's not a parody Samurai Champloo this time, however. It instead appears to be parodying s.CRY.ed, since Huey has a glowing, metallic hand.
PostWed Feb 08, 2006 5:44 am
reaper

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
TheMilkJunkie wrote:

New episodes start up again this Sunday.

If you haven't seen the preview for this episode yet (the promo aired after Inuyasha tonight), it appears to be another action anime parody episode. It's not a parody Samurai Champloo this time, however. It instead appears to be parodying s.CRY.ed, since Huey has a glowing, metallic hand.

Yeah, I've noticed that the Boondocks likes to parody anime a lot, especially samurai animes. The intro is very similar to samurai champloo, there was also the episode with the blind guy where huey pictured himself as a samurai warrior.
PostMon Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm
TheMilkJunkie

Post subject:
finally i return XD

anyways does anyone know why the Boondocks comic strip was pulled from the newspapers with an "indefinite leave of absence" title
PostSat Apr 15, 2006 1:45 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
TheMilkJunkie wrote:
finally i return XD

anyways does anyone know why the Boondocks comic strip was pulled from the newspapers with an "indefinite leave of absence" title

The response to your question will be said in classic lowbrow style:

Old news dawg. Fo shizzle!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/01/entertainment/main1357188.shtml
PostSat Apr 15, 2006 1:53 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Adult Swim All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: