нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Fun - but is it true?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Fun - but is it true?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject: Fun - but is it true?
From today's Guide (the Guardian 19th February 2005):

On The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ~ "When will they learn? Hollywood nearly always stuffs up comic book adaptations by tampering with the important stuff. You feel they'd have made the same amount of money, probably more, if they'd just left things be. The Alan Moore comic is a brilliant 'what if?' tale mixing literary characters with situations plucked from history and writers such as H.G.Wells. The sad, fading adventurer Allan Quatermain from the books is unrecognisible in Sean Connery's punchy hero. Worse yet, believing Americans wouldn't have heard of Jekyll/Hyde, Captain Nemo etc., they added Tom Sawyer. What's he going to do? paint a fence? It looks fantastic though, so if you like seeing money squandered, this is for you"

I just found this quite amusing for some reason. *chuckles* paint a fence...classic...

It IS a nice looking film though...I would have preferred no Tom Sawyer and Jekyll and Hyde back though...Does the average US citizen really not know him?...Captain Nemo I can understand though...(I don't know him)
rednekbob9: you're automatically a perfect match
rednekbob9: run like hell
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 3:52 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I would think mst people know Dr Jeklly and Mr Hyde, or at least the idea as for nemo, didn't he captain the Nautilis?

edit: Huh...after searching, I was right about his captainship. I haven't read that particular Jules Verne novel though, as I found his Journey to the Center of the Earth rather long winded since I read the unabridged.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 4:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Who HASN'T heard of Captain Nemo? From 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... Geeze... What's wrong with the world?
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 6:53 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm betting there are American kids who don't know who Tom Sawyer is.
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 7:51 pm
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
That's one bet I'm not taking.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 8:02 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
i'd believe it
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alshoff

Post subject:
I stopped really reading books since my 10th grade English class. It turned out that I can't write essays about literature. I would get the same score on an essay whether I actually read the book or used Cliff's notes (or the equivalent on the internet). Take that, Maya Angelou.

My advice, if you want your kids to read, don't make them write god-forsaken essays.

(Cue "The more you know" music and graphic.)
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 10:15 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
heh, don't make them read unabridged classics which were written by authors who got paid by the word, not by the sales the book got.

Robinson Crusoe sucked unabridged.
Swiss Family Robinson wasn't so hot.

That was a bad time to be an author.

Unless your name was Oxford and you wrote a dictionary.

(I'm not actually stupid enough to think that is in fact true)
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 10:23 pm
Alshoff

Post subject:
I heard that a lot of books in "the old days" were published in newspapers and magazines as weekly/monthly serials (one chapter per week/month).
PostSat Feb 19, 2005 10:56 pm
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
True, which is why a lot of those books had every chapter ending in a cliffhanger. And they were paid by the word too, which isn't good for the reader.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 12:28 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Fun - but is it true?
Let me get this out of the way...
dillpops wrote:
It IS a nice looking film though...I would have preferred no Tom Sawyer and Jekyll and Hyde back though

But Jekyll/Hyde were in the movie. Dorian Grey and Tom Sawyer weren't in the original comic, but were added in by the producers.

Back on the current subject- I never noticed wordiness as a flaw in the books mentioned when I first read them. Of course, I wasn't being forced to read them at the time; it was strictly for entertainment purposes. *shrug*
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 1:31 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I read none of those books except for pleasure, I was a voracious reader in my youth, and I found the story to be good. Just the presentation was brought down by the words.

For any of you out there, try reading the bible, about the second or third book in when they start talking about the little details of who begat who or how the tent was made, don't you feel like it was a little unecesary?
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 12:08 pm
Alshoff

Post subject:
All I know about the bible is that the Garden of Eden and Caine and Able parts are actually allegories for humans changing from hunter-gather societies to agricultural-urban societies.
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 3:30 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
huh... never heard that one before
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 4:05 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Alshoff wrote:
All I know about the bible is that the Garden of Eden and Caine and Able parts are actually allegories for humans changing from hunter-gather societies to agricultural-urban societies.

Depends on if you're veiwing it from an alagorical standpoint, or a creationist standpoint. Some would say what you said is a blatant lie, others would agree wholeheartedly.

The book Doug is talking about is Numbers. It's a book of hte bible that, just like it's name, involves a lot of numbers. It was basically a log of the Isrealites, and has a lot about population and who begat who. Not much wisdom can be taken from it.

As for the "Take that Maya Angelou!" above, I agree entirely. I did the exact same thing: stopped reading books in 10th grade, continued to get the same grades.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 5:27 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: