нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest

Post subject: Top Ten Anime-- Or Recommendations
This is a place to post your top ten anime shows/movies, AND reasons why. Alternately, you could just post the ten anime/movies you would recommend to a friend who has never seen anime but you want them to get hooked. Or, if the two lists would overlap, you can just post one list. If you haven't seen ten anime, just post the top shows you've seen. I don't think I've seen ten...yet...but here's my list anyway:

Rurouni Kenshin- Incredibly multi-layered, Rurouni Kenshin is my favorite anime. The characters are multi-tiered and deep, and the plot is intricately woven. Even the supporting characters seem to play a much larger part than they really do. It doesn't hurt that the animation is really good, also. This show is simply great.

Cowboy Bebop- Do I even need to explain this? The dynamic characters...the moving dialogue...the moments of humour balanced by the fights and the seriousness of the entire series...this is, so far as I've seen, the best TV/movie noir ever. Add in the ending, and the greatest one-liner ever--"Bang"-- and the series' perfectness is complete; it made me cry for a little while afterwards. And, of course, the best music EVER by the goddess who is Yoko Kanno. The only reason it's not no. 1 on my list is because it's so short.

Mononoke-hime/Princess Mononoke- Though I hated Miyazaki's other work Spirited Away, Mononoke-hime was an excellent film. This one did not put me to sleep, and the art style is wonderful. The only reason it's not higher is because I would have liked more dialogue and romance. All in all, however, the movie was very good.

Fushigi Yuugi- An all-around excellent series which I have not been able to complete yet. So wonderfully angsty! The characters were well-drawn, and the plot was, so far as I'd seen, original. It most definitely is not your typical shoujo anime, though that's what I expected at first. This series made me almost cry, in a good way...and the guys aren't half bad looking.

Naruto- It's surprising I like this one so much. It is very original, the series taking place in a setting and with a style that can only be called Kishimoto's own; I've never seen anything like it. It's a good mix between modern and traditional settings, and the characters also are a mix between modern and traditional. Naruto is not the typical ninja series, which is one reason I like it so much.

Ranma 1/2- Again, I'm surprised I like this series as much as I do. The series is strictly humour, but it is, surprisingly, of a humour that I can actually stomach. If Naruto is juvenile and pointless, then Ranma 1/2 most definitely is, but hey!--we all need a good dose of juvenility and pointlessness sometimes.

Inuyasha- Another Takahashi Rumiko work. I started watching the English dub, then I got the official subbed episodes from the video store, and lately I've been keeping up with the official manga at Sengoku-o-Togi Zoushi. It's not really all that original, but I stil like it. I like the romantic couples it has also, and the music's not terrible either.

One Piece- Don't like this one as much. I know it's really popular in Japan, though it hasn't gained a large fanbase in America. Now this one is the pointless one there is, but I like how Luffy can be serious and strong when he needs to be.

Magic Knight Rayearth- Meh, not all that great. It was kind of a rip of Gundam and Sailor Moon. More or less your typical magical girl anime. The ending episodes were better than the beginning though.

Nine....all that I can think of for now, I haven't seen any other anime worth putting up here. I haven't even seen Escaflowne of Evangelion, though I know those are the most popular ever, so they weren't on my list. But I'm sure they'd be great. Please post your top anime here also.
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 3:16 pm
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject:
Good idea, I think I'll check out your reccomendations.
rednekbob9: you're automatically a perfect match
rednekbob9: run like hell
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 4:34 pm
Tempest

Post subject:
Yes. And feel more than welcome to post your own Top 10/recommendations lists also. I'm sure many of us would like to get introduced to some new and good anime.
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 6:12 pm
Green-Bird

Veteran

Post subject:
Good idea, tempest! Here's my 10

10.Chobits-A great anime from CLAMP, that is about a man who finds a robot called a Perscom in the trash. Exallently done.

9. Escaflowne-A great series that is about as good as Evangelion or the first Gundam but had some minor plot holes. Yoko Kanno does some great music,

8. FLCL- Great. One of Gainax's best designs appear in this series. Very Humorus.

7. RahXephon- Bones has great work in this well done Mecha series about gods and love between time.

6. Any Gundam Series- The long running mecha series has alot of good Series and some not so good.

I'll do the second list lata.
I know I will die if I could come back new

Wilco- Ashes of American Flags
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 6:43 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'll try to keep it to anime, but I can't/won't promise anything.

10. Blue Suberine #6 - Some fo the better animation I've seen outside of Disney and Dreamworks. (btw Dreamworks Sinbad looks fucking hardcore badass) Intriging storyline with original character designs make it one of my favorites.

09. Golden Boy 1, 2, 4, 5 - It's for the perverted comedy and nothing else. It has decent animation genreally but the style tends to switch to match/oppose a mood so often it can't be considered consistant int he least. I leave out 3 and 6 from the list on account that they do not follow the standards set by the other GB's and just aren't nearly as entertaining.

08. Fatal Fury: The Movie - I first saw it on Sci Fi Anime and was just sucked in. I don't know why. Actually I think I do. It's the closest thing I've seen to Street Fighter II: The Movie since well SFII: The Movie. The animation was fairly good, the Voice Acting not to shabby, and it had more than the typical fighter storyline of "then-they-fought". There was generally a purpose behind it, not always good or very viable but it was generally there and it looked pretty.

07. Record of Lodoss War - The First anime I owned on DVD, actually, I think it might have been the first anime I owned period. Fantasy is fantasy and I love the genre. I find it fascinating that Japan is fascinated by european fantasy and have adopted it and its ideas and emched it with its own. Interesting combinations have come out of this and seeing their take ont he traditional tolkienesque styled world really captured my attention.

06. Vision of Escaflowne - The anime series that got me into anime. Memories got me accepting it and Escaflowne cinched it for me. The only reason why this isn't top rated is that while the giant freak eyes still bugged me (which I was on teh process of not getting over but accepting it, I still hate them) but the noses made me want to punch the artist in the face. The idea of Fantasy and Mech combined into one really drew me in, especially since the mechs (fuck mecha by the way) actually fougt with swords and swordylike weaponry.

05. The Slayers/Next/Try - The series evolves over time in everyway shape and form. It starts off with fairly crappy animation and so-so storylines.; in the american dub it even starts off with some not so good casting choices for actors. As the series progresses (ie. half season marks and new seasons) the animation improves drasticly and they do drop some of the VA's for ones that are much better fitting and the world rejoiced with a near perfect VA casting job. I say near perfect on acount of the choice for Xellos. But bah on him, I'm not going int it. One thing the series always had in spades was humor with not too much of it being based on the japanese culture.

04. Vampire Hunter D/Bloodlust - Alot of people were pissed off that bloodlust didn't include a japanese track but it never had one since it was made for specificly american audiences. The animation in Bloodlust has got to be the BEST animation I have seen in an anime; topping anything else I've seen in the genre (It still didn't top Disney though). The storylines were fairly decent and voice acting and animation in the first one were passable. There is just something about the artistic style of it all that moves it ahead in the pack.

03. Street Fighter II: The Movie - Wow. Just wow. The style of it really works. It's a plausiblesque storyline that lets SF2 be SF2. The animation is some of the better I've seen come out of japan with good VA choices for the dub.

02. Memories - The anime that convinced me that anime was worth while. Its actually a collection of three vignettes, each utterly different from the other. It has only recently been optioned by a US distributer for eventual release so those of you who have not seen it will ge the chance to. I remember the three storylines only barely anymore and not enoguh to do them justice so its better if I don't try.

01. Fantasia/2000 - The greatest artistic animations on all time. The different styles and flow between the pieces work in such a way that animation is raised beyond the dredges that society generally put the genre in. From a technical standpoint 2000 has no equal in america, japan, or the rest of the world. Roy Disney should run the whole damned company.

Now I want to you remember that I purposefully tries to leave out american series from the top 10 (I obviously couldn't do it entirely) and if I listed just my top 10 alltime favorite animated shows/series/movies/whatever if would look very VERY different.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostFri Jun 20, 2003 8:03 pm
TheWorldWeKnow

Frequenter

Post subject:
alright! love these kind of lists...here we go:

My Ten Favorite Anime Works
10. Serial Experiments Lain - This series has such an innovative, interesting storyline. The characters are all majorly flawed...and yet, we still like most of them, and feel for most of them. Lain seems to have no personality...but she definitely outshines Rei or any other personality defficient characters in that we want her to make it through this. Oh, and the series is just very enjoyable to watch - unique animation, good music.

10. (Tie) Maison Ikkoku - If you like Love Hina...this was the original Love Hina. The 90+ episodes allow the characters to develop - Godai goes from being a perverted loser (and frankly, a character I couldn't STAND for at least the first 10 episodes), so the guy you're rooting for above everyone else. And Kyoko gets a fleshed out personality in the second half of the series, making her more real, and infinitely more likeable. And the angst...ugh, the angst is monster in this series - it kills you. Finally, the tenants and supporting characters are hillarious - they make so much trouble, it's both annoying and wonderful.

9. Trigun - More than anything, I like Trigun because of it's characters. Vash is possibly my favorite anime hero - kind, compassionate, and an awesome fighter. Meryl functions in an unusual role, in that she can't admit to herself how much she likes Vash...and there's no appearance that Vash likes her...but it's a coupling you want to see. Wolfwood is, of course, regarded almost universally as one of the great anime characters. Legato and Knives, likewise, are awesome villians. Millie's hillarious. And finally, Rem is the heart of the message in the story, and is, too, a wonderful character.

8. Rurouni Kenshin (TV Series) - The first season is great - a lot of fun, full of good fight scenes and great characters. But it's the Kyoto arc that really makes the series - the characters become memorable, and the showdown in Kyoto in just so exciting. So many great fighters are going to converge on one spot - and the series doesn't dissapoint here.

7. [i]Spirited Away
- Finally, an anime movie that capured a small amount of popular support in the U.S...though certainly not as much as I think we all hoped for. Nonetheless, it's an incredible film. It reminded me so much of Alice in Wonderland...but it was so much more real, and just as creative, but in an entirely different realm of reality. And it's such a sweet story! Just a beautiful piece of work.

6. Neon Genesis Evangelion - At the same time, Evangelion is both fulfilling and immensely dissapointing (I hated the ending as much as everybody else...but for different reasons). But overall, it's a fantastic series - a ton of characters we love (and others we can't stand...some characters function in both these ways, one way for one person and the other for another person), great fight scenes, and a captivating story. And, like Lain, it isn't drowned out by the story - what I mean, is, is that it's entertaining. Sometimes, you can read a book or watch a movie that you think is just an incredible piece of art...but you didn't really enjoy it. Evangelion is able to avoid that - it's great AND fun.

5. Princess Mononoke - This was the first anime DVD I bought...and I watched it over a dozen times. The animation is beautiful, of course, but it's the story that makes this movie great. The characters are all flawed, and still likeable. And the message of the story is awesome.

4. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - When is Disney gonna finally release this?! My favorite Miyazaki film, Nausicaa is the most touching anime that I've ever seen. It's such a powerful film, as is reflected through it's message and through the actions of it's heroine. And, it's just beautiful - a beautiful ending to go along with a beautiful story.

3. Cowboy Bebop - What can I say that y'all don't already know? It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It has one of the great character storylines I've ever seen...not to mention 3 other pretty good ones for the rest of it's characters. It's clever in just about every way possible. The fight scenes rock. The music rocks. The animation rocks. And it just has style...the best style I've ever seen in anime.

2. Love Hina - I'm a sucker for cute, love stories. But this show is more than that. The characters, which could easily become typical, typecast characters, are memorable - ESPECIALLY the supporting people (Shinobu, Mutsumi, Kaolla, others). The slapstick humor, which I'm not terribly fond of in series like this, was not distracting - as a matter of fact, it was awesome! And come on...ya gotta love the weird obsession with turtles in the show (Hot Springs Tama, Mecha Tama, Ancient Turtle civilizations, etc.). Not to mention, some of my favorite single episodes in anime come from this series...including THE best Christmas special I've seen.

1. Samuria X/Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1&2 - I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw this movie. It was, literally, breathtaking. Just beautiful. It was so realistic, and so violent. It was epic and exciting. And the love story seemed so real...and was, just, well, so beautiful. And the end? Oh man, it blew me away...I don't wanna give anything away, which is why I'm being subtle, but if you've finished the Kyoto arc in the tv series, you HAVE to watch this - it'll blow you away.

1. TIE Tenchi Muyo! OVA's - What, did you think I wouldn't mention Tenchi? Well, while I think Samurai X is the best thing I've ever seen...Tenchi remains my favorite. The series has my absolute favorite cast of characters in any series. The animation is really cool. And the story is suprisingly complex. The complexity just adds so much depth to an otherwise just very enjoyable series.
PostSat Jun 21, 2003 6:13 am
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
The bandwagon is rolling!

10. Gravitation - It may be about two gay guys, but there's so much more. It's about a band. It's about Shuichi and Yuki. It's about friends and relationships. And it's funny. BMS all over the place. Watch it. This is the last one I'm typing, and I want to stop. So I'll leave it at that.

09. Gundam SEED - It's not over in Japan and the fast fansubs are awful, but it's still one of the better AU series created. If it continues the way it is now, it could beat out Gundam X as my favorite AU Gundam after it's completion. SEED is kind of a cross of the original MSG and Wing. Like Wing with all the well designed Gundams(the only part of that series I liked) and like MSG in the initial story and the primary battleship. It brings back the gritty feeling of war that many AU series have passed over and brought in great mecha. The characters aren't bad either, and you wonder what some of them plan to do later in the series. And you can't forget the OP/EDs. The second ED sucks, but the first one and the first three OPs have been great. Especially the thrid OP, sung by Nami Tamaki- only 14 years old when she recorded it Shocked She's awesome. So is her song.

08. Ah My Goddess - AMG/OMG is like Love Hina- a nearly impossible dream actually happens. The OVA draws you in and you can't get out. Maybe it's the "classic" feeling, maybe it's the cute love story, or maybe it's that great 80's Japan feeling. Meh. The characters are each unique and each has a different agenda- getting Belldandy nailed, getting rid of Keiichi, etc. This one is a feel good series not worth missing.

07. Gundam X - Unlike Wing (kiddie show) and G (weirdness), X feels... Better. When all but less then 200 million humans have been killed, you know something's up. X has a great main character who tries to stay positive and not turn into a whiney b|tch like many UC main guys turn into. The story is good, even though some things could have been expanded more - 39 eps doesn't do this series justice (I blame Evangelion and Wing). It does de-humanize the enemy by never flashing to enemy pilots in their cockpits, but that flaw can be overlooked by an otherwise good execution.

06. Full Metal Panic - Well animated, great soundtrack (you'd think they'd send in Mr. T! ), hillarious characters, and more realistic mecha design (not to the extent of Gasaraki though) equals a series that sets it apart from other mecha series. It's set in the present day, but one where the cold war continues. A giant robots (arm-slaves) are common military equipment. The real draw of the series though, is the characters. They can go from a hugely serious scene/epsiode into pure comedy. I can't reall explain it. It's just great. And original for a mecha series. Avoid the dub though. The butchering of Japanese words is too awful to bare.

05. Love Hina - Like TWWK I'm a sucker for those cute love stories. >_< Love Hina represents the dream of many young(and old Shocked ) men. Being surrounded by a bunch of young girls, all of them the right age. And of course they can all kick your a$$. This series goes everywhere, but there's almost always a laughable situation or gag. There are few better ways to relax then watching a Love Hina episode, including the Christmas and Spring specials. Forget the OVA though. It's okay, but kinda creepy. And Keitaro's new glasses don't fit him at all.

04. Gundam (UC series/movies) - I love the military, and Gundam is not only great for mecha fans, but military fans as well. There aren't any aliens, super robots(unless you count the Gundam-type suits), or even a defined good and bad side. With Gundam, you get humans fighting each other- and starting off with a bang by blasting half the human race. The series is fun to watch, but does indeed show the horrors caused by war- and not even children are safe from them. It features the best hero/villian ever, in the form of Char Aznable. The mecha design is second only to Macross, and indeed, the chief difference between Gundam and Macross (besides aliens) is the focus of Macross on the characters, while Gundam is a little bit more heavy on the overall war(s). In fact, the only reason I don't rank Gundam at #3 is the VF-1 from SDF Macross- it beats out an RX-79(G) for best mass produced mecha unit in my book.

03. SDF Macross (w/Zero, Flashback, Plus, and 7) - Some would say that lumping Macross together is a bad idea, but I disagree. Like Gundam, I can't split them up. The original has a feeling of a space opera, but each series or OVA re-invents itself, which was the plan in the first place. Flashback is a music video, Plus is either Top Gun or an animated soap opera depending who you ask, 7 is a lighter side of Macross (sort of like ZZ Gundam is to Zeta, but not quite that extreme), and Zero has yet to become completely clear. Besides the story, Macross has some dang awesome mecha. The VF-1 is hands down the greatest mecha unit ever created- the F-14 will live forever! The next generation VFs are also well designed. Macross may be the second most popular mecha anime, but it's easily the best.

02. GTO - Quite possibly the funniest anime ever. Even more so then Love Hina. There's no way to say otherwise. You have a 22 year old horny ex-biker virgin being a teacher- how can that not be great? Onizuka is the ultimate hero throughout it- helping the nerdy/low self confidence students, hitting on the class "punk"'s mother, messing around with the other teachers... There's no end to the chaos, yet there's a reason for all of it. The series is great, but the manga is better, and the live action version is as good as the anime.

01. Initial D - It's Initial D. Even though I have very little interest in driving, I was hooked on the series after the first episode. The characters are great - you either like them, or love to hate 'em. There aren't any true "villians" although a few come close. The animation and CG races are simple, but convey the excellent story well (and this improves in the second season, OVA, movie, and takes a bigger leap in the TV special). Too bad Tokopop is screwing the whole thing over. This series(including OVA, movie, etc) has everything - characters, action(races), and one of the best god dang soundtracks ever.

That rounds out the top 10. Top 20 would include such anime as Macross II (one of the best anime soundtracks. EVER), Akira (don't need to elaborate), Area 88 (air combat! ), and Pokemon (I love it ).
PostSat Jun 21, 2003 12:53 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
You guys have listed alot f my favorites so I'm going to try and name some ones that havn't been mentioned yet

(10)Love Hina- Greer sent me a couple eps a while a back and since then it's been one of my favorite series. One of the first anime to every actually make me fall on the floor laughing with Keitaro being the reason. The boy has the best and worst luck of just about any anime character and even though he's a litle more perverted than Tenchi he's still awesome.

(9)Ah My Godess - The OVA it's great, the movie it's great. I like both that's why it's here.

(8)Excel Saga- OMG you have to see this show. There is no Drop dead funnier anime sereis ever made. The show has a loose plot, but who needs it when the show is meant to be the ultimate parody. Every episode is back to back laughs as each episde makes fun of a different genre of anime and film. From the wild west, to space, to harems, political dramas, you name it. EAT MORE MENCHI!@

(7)Gunbuster- I'm betting no one has heard of this. Well that's a problem. This has been hailed as the greatest robot show ever and I agree. THe story will make you feel the passion of the characters and cry by the end. It's only on VHS because there's a rumor that MANGA lost the masters to it and havn't released a dvd yet. You can however get a bootleg dvd but I've heard the subtitles are all engrish(.

(6)Gundam Wing- Yes, everyone knew I was going to say it, but it's not like I put it that high on the list. With GW you either love it or hate it. Much of this is due to a group of people who choose to bash the series and everyone else jumped on the bandwagon without even arguing. The show does have a plot..a very deep one that many people would rather just ignore than try to figure out. War can not be brought to an end by dictators or by destroying all the weapons. The only way to end wars is to erase the feeing in people hearts and to remind them of the horror of war and that is the only way they will remember. The angst does get overblown here and there and and yes the mechs do seem way too powerful. This was the anime that blew me away and helped to finnaly show me that these shows are on a completely different level.

(5)Giant Robo - This is another Magna release that was a remake of an old series. Much like Kikaider and Cyborg 009, but this one is KICK ASS. This story had me gripped from beggining to end and the fights have to be some of the best animated and most extrordinary I've ever seen. Whether is was person to person or machine to machine the fights are just great. The animation is on the top of the scale and the music is always rivting. There's no reason that you should take a look at this one.

(4) Lupin III: Caslte of Cagliostro - Ya I know everyone likes this. Well I'm no exception. Lupin is at his best in this movie and it tops pretty much everything I've seen to date without giant robots, demons, or complicated love triangles. He's just a normal dude who can do just about anything. It's bond, but better. No question.

(3)Read or Die - Even though the first time I saw it was only a month ago it definetly makes this list. Yomiko is the greatest Secret Agent EVER. Anyone that can stop bullets with a piece of paper gets deserves a spot. Yet again I'm a stickler for good animation and this definetly serves my needs. With some of the most well done CG ever in an anime it's the tops.

(2)Gundam: The 08th MS Team - One of the few series I own the entire collection of. I'm sick of typing so let's just say..OMGWTF TIS SEREIS iS G00D!!!!!!

(1)POKEMON - w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^

Last edited by Zechs on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSat Jun 21, 2003 2:05 pm
TheWorldWeKnow

Frequenter

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:
Forget the OVA though. It's okay, but kinda creepy. And Keitaro's new glasses don't fit him at all.

yeah, after the first episode of the OVA, I was totally creeped out...by the end, I was only semi-creeped out; anyway, I did like it, just because of Naru's confession (well, like her third confession...)

and, as long as we're doing what else would've been in the top 20...
Tenchi Universe (actually, prolly in the top 10...it's hard to cut down to just 10), all 3 Tenchi movies, Jin-Roh, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Escalfowne, and Digimon (the series AND the movie)

InuYasha and Excel Saga could find their ways into my top 10, too...but I'm far from finishing either at this point Razz
PostSat Jun 21, 2003 2:23 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
I don't have an official-like top ten, and I only have 22 of my 24 hours off left, so I'll be informal.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Very creepy and thought-provoking. Wonderful for sparking discussions about humanity.

Oh! My Goddess - The OVA is good; fun and engaging. The movie is one of the best I've ever seen. In my (not-as-art-minded-as-spook's) mind, it's comparable to Miyazaki's works.

Read or Die - Pleasantly thoughtful three-episode OVA, with intriguing characters (both good and bad), and great selectively-corporeal-hot-chick-clone-on-clone action. Too bad it's not longer . . .

MS Gundam: 08th MS Team - Hands down, my favorite series. Astounding animation quality, complex story, multi-layered characters, and it is the quintessential example of the motto of the Gundam Universe: "In war, there are no winners."
PostSat Jun 21, 2003 2:44 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, I'm glad I'm posting after FAK because those three are actually in my top ten as well.
Runner up status goes to Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Gundam 0080, Tenchi Muyo, Big O, and yes, Pokemon (seasons 1 and 2 only, subbed). I would say Trigun, Slayers, and a few others, bout I haven't seen all the episodes of those.

10. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The only animation outside of the occasional Disney work to give Spirited away a run for it's money. Although the animation quality isn't as high, it's still the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen, animation wise.

9. Princess Mononoke. A very good starting anime--tells a rather good story with exceptional vision and artwork. This was the first Anime my mother ever saw (or did she see Akira first), and she loved it. This from a 45 year old woman who grew up in an ultra-conservative Idaho Mormon family.

8. The Animatrix: beyond. There's a good reason why a five minute short took two years to make. The director is an eccentric visionary that looks into every facet and detail of his work.

7. Cowboy Bebop. Unlike most people, I found the ending to be rather flat. But that's just the last 15 minutes of the series (well, that, and Vicious was on of anime's most static characters). The rest of the series, however, gold, for its originality and humor. If I were jsut rating the movie, this would be higher on the list, as all the stops were pulled out to create one of the best movie experiences you will ever have. All the characters shined in thier full glory, including the villain, and a few cameo appearances by minor characters. Flawless execution of a brilliant plan.

6. Read or Die. Same reasons as FAK, but also for sheer animation quality. Simply beautiful. I've seen it seven times, and it only gets better.

5. Spirited Away. The latest testement to Miyazaki's genious, we get another fantastic, nontraditional tale. Beautiful artwork, incredible story. (the movie theatre I saw it in even did some trick to make it feel more humid during the rainy scenes).

4. Gundam 08th MS Team. Same reasons as FAK, basically. Some of the realest characters I've ever encountered.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion. I'm sure youve heard enough about it on this page. It was the first real anime I'd ever seen, and it completely changed my life for what I believe to be the better. I was a lot more like Shinji than I'd like to admit.

2. Oh! My Goddess. Same reasons as FAK. I'm a real sap for love stories, especially when they're engaging--and woah! Holy Crap! As I'm writing this, I jsut heard a few notes from one of the OMG music pieces in an OC Remix for Ninja Gaiden (Sudden Loss). Freaky. Anyway, another pair of really great tales. i want one of those English side cars.

1. Outlaw Star. Call me crazy, but I just love this classic, if not overplayed story. The tale is brought in full glory, with very few, if any holes. We all see a little bit of each of the characters in ourselves, which makes me like it that much more. The music is only topped in my mind by Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heavan's Door.
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 4:06 pm
crinoalvien124

Post subject: hmm
#1 hellsing....good and vary gory...and the main guy actually gets the crap shot outta him alot...

#2 gundam wing...heero is just so badass...and duo is just plain awesome...good story line..awesome fighting.

#3 im thinkin evangelion...just more awesome mecha...and these mecha can actually bleed so that kicks so hard and so long...but as with much good anime it has its hentai-ish points

#4 trigun.....good storyline...awesome gunfights good comic relief....and for once when a character dies...he stays dead...

#5 inuyasha...gory...big friggin sword...and an uderlying love story...what more can u ask for

#6 outlaw star....outer space..cool gun...just an all around good storyline in my mind..

#7 DB, DBZ,DBGT all grouped together cuz they all are pretty good..but not really classic anime...so idk but its here cuz its what turned me on to anime so it deserves more respect than is usally given it

#8 escaflowne...good oldskool mecha....not awesome not horrible

#9 FLCL....its good...but to short

#10 uh...prolly G gundam good but the whole tights thing just seriosuly threw me off completely
PostTue Dec 02, 2003 10:20 pm
Green-Bird

Veteran

Post subject:
5. Samurai X/Kenshin
4. Evangelion
3. Witch Hunter Robin
2. Wolf's Rain
1. Cowboy Bebop
I know I will die if I could come back new

Wilco- Ashes of American Flags
PostWed Dec 03, 2003 3:11 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
Cowboy Bebop. Unlike most people, I found the ending to be rather flat.

You're kidding me right?
I almost cried as the camera rose after Spike fell and died, and throughout the whole end sequence. t was very touching to me.
As the song Blue reached it's end you see Spike's star shine brightly and then fade away. Jeez flat?
anyways.
I'm gonna post my list but i don't feel like posting why right now.
There are soo many but anyways:

10)Blue sub 6
9)RahXephon
8)Record of Loddoss War TV
7)Mononoke Hime
6)FLCL
5)Rurouni Kenshin
4)Trigun
3)One Piece
2)Naruto
1)Cowboy Bebop

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 3:26 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
let's move Kenshin up to slot 4 and stick in Escaflowne at number 2.
and Hajime no Ippo at Number 3.
the result.
10)RahXephon
9)Loddos War TV
8)FLCL
7)Trigun
6)One Piece
5)Naruto
4)Rurouni Kenshin
3)Hajime no Ippo
2)The Vision of Escaflowne
1)Cowboy Bebop

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostFri Dec 12, 2003 2:02 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: