нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - TI Presents: Toonami Retrospective [Part 2]
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
TI Presents: Toonami Retrospective [Part 2]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject: TI Presents: Toonami Retrospective [Part 2]
We've got the show retrospective, now comes the retrospective and prospective of Toonami itself. From Moltar to Tom v3 to the future. What was it about the block that separated itself from the rest, what did you like? what didn't you like? Remember I'm not so much talking about the shows here as the flavor the network gave the block itself. What about the future of the block? (again I'm not talking about what shows you would like to see appear on Toonami)

We have 10 years to talk about, let's hear those opinions.
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 5:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
Is it just me, or does anyone else remember back when Toonami didn't really have a host? It must have been late '95 or even '96, but I definitely remember watching Speed Racer, G-Force, and random stuff like Birdman in between snippets of footage showing vague sci fi type stuff(perhaps early Clydes?). This was also along the same time period(maybe within a year or two) or Cartoon Network airing that "Japanimation" special with Robot Carnival, and something else.

In terms of the various iterations of hosts/scenery, I thought the Moltar version was pretty cool, but I think Toonami really took into it's own during 2000. It was right before the Invasion event(or whatever the first interactive Toonami event was called), and it just...clicked for me. At that time, being able to watch any anime on TV, especially late at night (midnight run with Gundam Wing blew me away), was unheard of. With the sleek design of the Absolution(thats the ship, right?) and Tom's cool demeanor, it made me feel like I reached some hidden destination in the world of TV animation(untouched by the likes of Fox or ...gasp...Nickelodeon).
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 6:07 pm
Sketch

Post subject:
I didn't have CN until 1999 if I recall correctly so I didn't see much of the Moltar years of Toonami but from what I gather, even those years were pretty special. You had a classic action character hosting a block of some of the best action cartoons around. Starting with a humble selection of oldies and the newest version of Johnny Quest and then taking on syndicated burn outs one after another and making them hits (most notabely DBZ but Sailor Moon had a good run as well).

By then Toonami had already made itself memorable but CN took it's biggest steps when they introduced TOM. Sara and the Absolution while keeping around the Clydes. This really made the block feel different than everything that came before it and after it.

The packing that looked nothing like the rest of CN and custom bumpers and intros surrounding all the shows making them feel even more at home. WS really could make any show look fantastic and appealing and they still do to this day. From the first days of the absolution Toonami was edgy, slick and appealing in every way so it didn't matter what show was on, you could sit through the whole block just for the packing. I know at least I did for time to time.

Another important element was the fan interaction. Contests, fan art showcases, viewer polls and especially total immersion events made Toonami what it is today. Unfortunately most of that has gone by the way side now but I'm still hopeful some of it will return. Toonami Jetstream's feedback feature is a nice step in that direction in my opinion.

Toonami dared to do what no other block has on numerous occasions. Pushing the envelop at every turn. Broadcasting Y7, PG and now even TV-14 content for the masses but even in the days of Y7 they could push things to extremes. Unfortunately Toonami never truely grew up to be the teen oriented block it could be but it's important to give the tweens of every generation something worth watching.

Toonami promotion has and always will be some of the best around. Featuring narrations from popular animated series voice actors and the block's own sense of humor. I'm swear Toonami promos get away with murder sometimes and it always brings a crooked grin to my face when they do.

Over the years Toonami has done one thing for certain and that simply was to broadcast some of the best action cartoons and anime available in the US with packaging that was pleasing to the eye and promotion that always got you even more excited to see the shows. You know that they know we're watching because they tend to drop little hints in the promos from time to time and all of us long time fans certainly are greatful that Toonami still cares at least as much as CN will let them.

What made it last 10 years when other blocks have come and gone before and after it? It's probably the uniqueness of the block and the devoted fans that keep it a viable property along with some hugely successful properties which Toonami was lucky enough to house but also was a key partner in making that success a reality. Toonami makes hits out of failures by treating the shows properly and giving them the air time they deserve. We the anime fandom of today has a lot to thank Toonami for. Without Toonami where would we be? Would anime even be as strong in the market as it currently is? Would we have seen any niche shows come out of Japan in the quantity we do now? Would we even have aciton shows on Adult Swim? I believe the answer to all of those question is, no. Toonami and The Midnight Run were the foundation of the current generation of otaku and without either, anime may have never got a shot in the US outside of Pokemon.

As for the future, it's hard to say. New packing is on the way and the block has 10 years of history under it's belt. To have made it this far, it must be able to make it even farther. With a new look will we have more of the same or something completely different? I don't think change would be bad though. After 10 years, it's probably time to try something new. At least if they aren't going to bring back previous elements that made Toonami special.

I salute Sean Akins for his little endevour that has lasted 10 long years and still has plenty of steam left. That block booked my afternoons and then my Saturday evenings and it still can captivate me when I watch it. Even though CN has taken some ugly turns over the years and Toonami took some with them, Toonami remains the most worthwhile part of CN and to me the most worthwhile form of youth entertainment on US television. Here's to 10 more years Toonami.
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 8:39 pm
nuava

Post subject:
Toonami was brilliant, it's plain and simple. It was the only block for kids that actually seemed to put effort into the packaging. Not just mindless "Hey Kids!! This is cool!" we usually got. And kids did indeed love it, without being told (well there was that one thing...).

I loved the age of TOM1 the most. I actually used to listen to the speeches he gave, loved seeing the fan art section, and there was just something about that little potbellied robot that was undeniably cool.

Toonami is what got me into anime, toonami is what got everyone in America into anime for the most part. I think toonami made it cool for teens and adults to watch cartoons again long before [as] came around, which I doubt would exhist otherwise.

But sadly toonami seems a shell of it's former self. No more fan involvement, no more custom intros, and maybe come this Saturday no more TOM.

But there is incredible hope in me. They know how to make toonami great, maybe they can make it great again.
PostMon Mar 12, 2007 11:02 pm
darkness88

Frequenter

Post subject:
Toonami has been the backbone of the artist that I have become over the years. I've watched Toonami so much that I make up promos and intros to myself. My fondest memories of Toonami are sitting down on a hot summer day and watching some of my favorite shows. You couldn't get me out the house when Toonami was on. The custom intros started me off, the "Batman will return in a moment on Toonami, Now back to Batman on Toonami" would have me wanting more, and then finally "that's it for Batman, Superman's up next " would have me ready for the next show. I'm a Toonami junkie and proud of it. It has been such an inspiration in my life and I enjoy every intro and promo from 2000 when I began watching to now. Some say Toonami is lacking and others say there will be a day that there will be no Toonami. I disagree. I say that Toonami will hopefully be around for my kids to enjoy. Here's to 10 of the greatest years of my life and I look forward to many more.
PostTue Mar 13, 2007 1:30 pm
just

Veteran

Post subject:
The Absolution Mark 1 loomed over Earth in all it's splendid glory. Tom 2 sat back in his chair and pushed his buttons. Toonami came into my life as the first action block I've ever watched. It's the first and still the best. Tom1, Tom2, and Tom3 remain the true heroes of Toonami. All three have assumed their duties as hosts and gave us 3 eras of Toonami to be truly proud of. Tom1 gave us great speeches, and showed us that size wasn't a factor when it came to showing bravery. Tom2 took over after Tom1 lost his life in battling the Intruder. He took on his hosting duties like no other giving us great new custom inros and quieting the naysayers. He also persevered in The Lockdown and Trapped in Hyperspace. He gave power to us, citzens of Toonami. When he fell, Tom3 took over in the newly sleek model known as the Absolution 2. Tom3 took on his duties as well, and gave the Toonami faithful a reason to keep hope alive from 2003 to now. Sara and the Clydes have also been a huge part of Toonami and have become the forefront of what is Toonami today.

I am a member of the Toonami faithful nation. I believe that on March 17th, Toonami will once again give me a reason to bask in it's glory. Thank you Toonami for ten years of dedication to your fanbase and for showing us that like wine Toonami gets better with time.
PostTue Mar 13, 2007 1:54 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
While I can appreciate the need to change the look of the block to keep it from getting stale, I still wish they did more with what they had when they had the chance.

The Absolution and TOM1 were my favorites. I just watched The Intruder again last night. The animation was great, even the stuff we have today has trouble comparing.
That was a huge ass ship and we only ever got to see small parts of it.

Now with the Absolution Mark II, it's a much smaller ship, almost like a fighter. And yet all we've seen it do is fly through space. At least show us the weapons blowing something up, even if it's just an asteroid that looks like the Nickelodeon logo.

Toonami has lost much of the things that made it fun: the TIEs, the custom intros, the fanart, etc.
Even though I feel the block has lost quite a bit in the presentation dept, it has aired and still airs some great shows.

Toonami has outlasted other blocks like The Disney Afternoon, Fox Kids, Kids' WB, and CN's own Miguzi.

As others have said, who knows if anime would have gotten this far in the US without Toonami, probably not.

Toonami has had its ups and downs, but it's always been fun and I look forward to what's in store.
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maverick0585

Post subject:
Toonami has def gone through some major changes over the years and watching it start from the very beginning to what it is now has been alot of fun, but with that being said I am still saddened by the fact that Toonami isnt as good as it use to be, i agreed with Beefy Toonami has lost much of the things that made it fun, the custom intros which i loved the fanart ect., maybe im just getting older or whatever but i just cant enjoy toonami like i use too, but im glad its still around and kicking
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 10:58 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think we're all lucky to have had Toonami's "golden age" coincide with our childhoods. As kids we're heavily influenced by the things we watch, especially the Saturday Morning/Weekday Afternoon programming. The high quality of Toonami's programming, packaging, and interactivity was a delight to grow up with. Strangely enough, I was so obsessed at one point I would plan out Toonami schedules weeks in advance so I could count down till the cliffhanger battles in Sailor Moon or DBZ. I had as much fun watching the shows as watching how they were going to run them. The block was a show in itself.

I started on the xenith of Moltar's days. I think I was young enough to where he actually scared me a little! Still I loved watching the promos. I also remember how wierd it felt when he broke in between shows to....rant. It was so cool to feel like this wasn't just a cartoon character but someone with ideas and advice. You watched the shows WITH Moltar and later with Tom. I loved it.

When we start talking about where Toonami is going and comparing it to our times it will never add up. I've always stated that Toonami has an age group it markets toward, once you're out of it it's not going to follow you to adulthood, toonami will stay the same. The shows that would have been more mature have gone to AS, but sadly most of its viewship comes from the comedy blocks not anime. Frat boys love Family Guy, but tend to toon off GitS:SAC.

Toonami will still be there, but I won't be watching. Hell I don't watch any TV right now. We're now in an age of instant gratification when it comes to video media. We can d/l any thing we want to watch on demand, so it doesn't really matter what Toonami liscenses or chooses to show anymore.I don't identify with the new Tom, nor will I ever and the shows on air right now do not interest me. So I am greatly appreciative for where it brought me, but this stop is the end of the line and I need to get off.
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 2:24 am
maverick0585

Post subject:
well said...you have a good point toonami use to be a stable for alot of us growing up and as we get older toonami stays the same and does what it always has done try to be appealing to the same age group its been going after for years. maybe i just have been the one who hasnt moved on yet.
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 10:11 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: